Hurricane?

tizziea

13 hours ago, tizziea said:

Looking at the weather models and looks like a strong possibility of gulf side hurricane developing next week. 

we are set to sail out of Ft Lauderdale on western Caribbean route. 

Any ideas what we might expect if this storm does develop?

Are you on the 9/25 Allure? If so, I'm in the same boat as you. (pun intended). I would not be surprised if they have to change the itinerary for this one. That doesn't bother me. But as a resident of South Florida, I'm more concerned with what I would be coming home to if the area gets hit by a major hurricane.

2 hours ago, Sunny SoFla said:

Are you on the 9/25 Allure? If so, I'm in the same boat as you. (pun intended). I would not be surprised if they have to change the itinerary for this one. That doesn't bother me. But as a resident of South Florida, I'm more concerned with what I would be coming home to if the area gets hit by a major hurricane.

Yup! And same. Have lived in FL a few years now but haven’t been through a storm yet and no idea what I should prepare for while I’m away. 

2 hours ago, tizziea said:

Yup! And same. Have lived in FL a few years now but haven’t been through a storm yet and no idea what I should prepare for while I’m away. 

Depending on how the models trend and if we are in "the cone", I will probably bring things inside and pack my freezer with ice blocks to try to save some of the food if we lose power. I was without power for 8 days after Wilma. Not fun!! 

If things look really bad with the storm though, I may have to consider cancelling. I wouldn't feel right leaving my elderly mom here alone to weather a hurricane while I go on vacation.
Hoping it doesn't come to that though!

Cruise lines are pretty good at avoiding hurricanes.  If it looks bad in the West on the day you embark, they will go East and vise versa.  You may not get the trip you planned or the ports you planned, but you will get a reasonable facsimile.  

For the most part, the only real issues come when the storm hits the home port on or near embarkation or debarkation day.

We was on a cruise a few years ago, everyone back home was worried, it was the smoothest cruise we had, we kind of trailed it, did a reserve stop on two islands, they was concerned we might have to stay at see one day as it was headed to our port, we was even allowed to make a phone call on the Royal phones from stateroom, as it turned out, it missed Florida , thank goodness. Royal is usually on top of things come hurricane season.

24 minutes ago, Dan Curtis said:

We was on a cruise a few years ago, everyone back home was worried, it was the smoothest cruise we had, we kind of trailed it, did a reserve stop on two islands, they was concerned we might have to stay at see one day as it was headed to our port, we was even allowed to make a phone call on the Royal phones from stateroom, as it turned out, it missed Florida , thank goodness. Royal is usually on top of things come hurricane season.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/blog/what-to-know-about-cruising-this-hurricane-season/

Here is an article detailing Royal Caribbean's hurricane team.

21 hours ago, Sunny SoFla said:

I am on Allure right now.  Our itinerary was changed when Fiona was threatening Haiti!  We ended up at Curacao first (gorgeous weather), Aruba yesterday (beautiful weather with exception of torrential downpour late morning) and now heading to Labadee for tomorrow.  It is bright sunshine this morning and still very smooth seas.

11 hours ago, MrMillennium87 said:

In the event a Hurricane will hit the port on debarkation day, will they typically bring you back a day early, or keep you out at sea until the storm passes?

Some years ago a hurricane was threatening Galveston on debark day for Liberty.  They sent Liberty to Florida to debark passengers that wanted of the went back to Galveston 

On 9/21/2022 at 8:20 PM, MrMillennium87 said:

In the event a Hurricane will hit the port on debarkation day, will they typically bring you back a day early, or keep you out at sea until the storm passes?

They will whatever is best for the situation.  Stay out an extra day, come in a day early, even debark in another city, as was mentioned by Steverk above.

The cruise line has to keep in mind both cruises and cruisers, the one that is ending and the one that is scheduled to begin.