Coffee card question

Done

10 minutes ago, Toby said:

Do the Coffee punch cards restrict the size ordered?  That is, can I get a venti mocha or I am restricted to the smallest size (can't remember the name of the smallest size)?

No and yes.  You may be charged per espresso shot.  The original language in the coffee card states drinks rather than shots, but the practice on many ships has been to punch for each shot.  One guest had success complaining nicely to the manager that the Cruise Planner doesn't state "shots".   Others, like me, have typically been charged per shot.  For drinks that don't use espresso, you may find more flexibility.  I used to get a chai tea for my wife at only one punch.

10 minutes ago, ChessE4 said:

No and yes.  You may be charged per espresso shot.  The original language in the coffee card states drinks rather than shots, but the practice on many ships has been to punch for each shot.  One guest had success complaining nicely to the manager that the Cruise Planner doesn't state "shots".   Others, like me, have typically been charged per shot.  For drinks that don't use espresso, you may find more flexibility.  I used to get a chai tea for my wife at only one punch.

As @ChessE4stated it is usually one punch per shot, but like a lot of things on RCCL, this seems to differ from ship to ship and crew member to crew member as reported by many people here.

Happy Cruising!

15 minutes ago, FManke said:

It's been a few years since we used a card and unless they have a Starbucks onboard it's just small, medium and large and I think it was 1, 2 and 3 accordingly. I'm sure someone with more knowledge will correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks!  I am a coffee novice and only been to a Starbucks or other coffee shops (other than while cruising) maybe 4 times in my life.  We always bought the deluxe drink package so getting mochas or cappuccinos from Cafe Promenade were included.  We now are getting enough C&A drink vouchers to forego the DBP.  Looking at other offerings for coffee and the likes.

13 minutes ago, Toby said:

getting mochas or cappuccinos from Cafe Promenade were included.  We now are getting enough C&A drink vouchers to forego the DBP.  Looking at other offerings for coffee and the likes.

The refreshment package would be the way to go then, you'd get everything you got before, sans the alcohol and the huge price tag.

Happy Cruising!

13 minutes ago, FManke said:

The refreshment package would be the way to go then, you'd get everything you got before, sans the alcohol and the huge price tag.

Happy Cruising!

Thanks for the suggestion!

We ordered a coffee card and a case of 24 water for $56.60 total final price.  That will get us everything we would normally get except bar drinks.  If we were pop drinkers the refreshment package would be the way to go. 

On 9/20/2022 at 9:50 AM, Toby said:

Thanks for the suggestion!

We ordered a coffee card and a case of 24 water for $56.60 total final price.  That will get us everything we would normally get except bar drinks.  If we were pop drinkers the refreshment package would be the way to go. 

For a 7-night cruise that works out to be $8 per day.  The refreshment package is usually $23 per day during a sale so that saves $15 per day. 

I really like the drink vouchers.  My occasional drinks with alcohol are free with the vouchers.  Except for having to count my drinks every day ... there's nothing to complain about.

2 hours ago, amanalo217 said:

If you do not use all the punches/shots on the card can you use what's left on next cruise?

On Anthem , we purchased a coffee card in 2019 but didn't use all the punches. We used it on Anthem again Jan 2020 and (lo and  behold) have one more punch left! I'll try and use it on an upcoming Feb 2023 Anthem cruise. We were told we could use it on multiple cruises as long as it was Anthem. 

3 hours ago, amanalo217 said:

If you do not use all the punches/shots on the card can you use what's left on next cruise?

I have used the coffee card across multiple cruises numerous times and never had an issue.  This year alone I used one card on Anthem, Mariner and Radiance.

The important issue to remember about using the coffee card is to confirm with the server how many punches your order will be before the order is made.  This eliminates surprises/arguments and allows you to maximize your use.

21 hours ago, Dad2Cue said:

Except for having to count my drinks every day ... there's nothing to complain about.

They should be itemized daily and available on your TV account interface menu or the app.  The final cruise statement is a summary and doesn't show the detail the daily tally does.

5 hours ago, SolariumSnoozer said:

I have used the coffee card across multiple cruises numerous times and never had an issue.  This year alone I used one card on Anthem, Mariner and Radiance.

The important issue to remember about using the coffee card is to confirm with the server how many punches your order will be before the order is made.  This eliminates surprises/arguments and allows you to maximize your use.

My wife has found it varies.

Out of the last four cards she got, two of them had the ship name and sail date hand written on them and were not allowed to be used on different sailings.

3 hours ago, teddy said:

Out of the last four cards she got, two of them had the ship name and sail date hand written on them and were not allowed to be used on different sailings.

Interesting, I have also had the ship name and date on some cards but still never had an issue, Definitely makes me think twice about purchasing the coffee card in the future.  Sorry you had that issue.

10 hours ago, SolariumSnoozer said:

I just checked my leftover coffee card with three shots left on it.  All it says is QN on the back for Quantum.  What are the letters used for Serenade?  I will be on Serenade in two weeks.   I'm pretty sure I can rub off the QN if I needed to. 👍  With any luck, Serenade will be SN.  Then I will only have to worry about the Q

I have purchased another new coffee card for Serenade so I'm not too worried about it. Do you think the barista will even turn the card over and look on the back?

On 9/21/2022 at 10:20 PM, Dad2Cue said:

Do you think the barista will even turn the card over and look on the back?

Like everything Royal, there isn't necessarily consistency from ship to ship.  My experience says you will have no issues, but others have said they have had mixed experiences.  I would definitely try to use the card and if the barista questions you explain nicely why you didn't finish using the card on Quantum.  Worst case, save the card for your next cruise.

2 hours ago, SolariumSnoozer said:

Like everything Royal, there isn't necessarily consistency from ship to ship.  My experience says you will have no issues, but others have said they have had mixed experiences.  I would definitely try to use the card and if the barista questions you explain nicely why you didn't finish the using the card on Quantum.  Worst case, save the card for your next cruise.

giving a dollar or 2 tip when placing the initial order *may* result in less scrutiny, no guarantees

Just got off Radiance last week and this was my experience: coffee card had my name and room number on it - no ship name. My first drink was a grande (16oz) chai latte - so no espresso shots - and that took 2 punches. Next drink was a small 12oz chai, which was only 1 punch. So if getting a non-espresso drink, I would recommend ordering the small each time to maximize the benefits - 2 smalls = 24oz for the same "price" as (1) 16oz drink.

Since I didn't use all the punches on this sailing, I will be saving the card for a future cruise. May have to white out the room number though 🙂