ArriveCAN ending Sept 30

3 hours ago, PolishPower said:

ArriveCAN now states that a pre-cruise COVID test is not required to enter the country.  Why is Royal Caribbean still requiring a negative test?

My guess?  They are covering all their bases with Canada.  I suspect the outcry over ArriveCan is less than the outcry would be if Canada started refusing entry to cruise ships.

Travel to Canada during the pandemic has been at best a royal pita regardless of transportation method.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise#boarding-excursions

3 hours ago, PolishPower said:

ArriveCAN now states that a pre-cruise COVID test is not required to enter the country.  Why is Royal Caribbean still requiring a negative test?

That's been like that for a while. I didn't need a test to enter the country in June. But I still needed a test to board the ship. Both were Canada rules, not just RC rules.

18 hours ago, PolishPower said:

Unfortunately Canada still requires cruise ship passengers to provide a negative test to operate cruise ships from Canada even if its not required to enter the country. Double standard for the cruise industry. It was the same way in the US for a long a time. 

The cruise season in Canada has less than a month left and hopefully next season all the silly rules will be gone.

• smokeybandit changed the title to ArriveCAN ending Sept 30
13 hours ago, lakeland said:

any word on Bermuda, we sail Oct. 8th on Mariner

Poor Bermuda, ever since my cruise left King's Landing it's been poor weather for this country. Also the queen died right after we returned to port. I know the country desperately needs the water, but not the high winds. A resilient people, I wish them the best. Also hopefully no dragons.

Very small number of active COVID cases there currently. No changes to policies regarding Travel Authorization. image.png.98b0f6d69d7416607c347c15fca7fb8e.png

https://www.royalgazette.com/tourism/news/article/20220917/government-defends-cruise-ship-covid-policy-in-wake-of-cancellations/

And yes people on the island would like to see increased tourism, especially people near the port.

On 9/21/2022 at 11:51 AM, KeithMB said:

I don't think the Canadian government have formally announced the update yet.

No, the government hasn't formally announced it. This previous release seems to be a trial balloon through unnamed sources. Sounds like the PM was asked by reporters yesterday and wouldn't confirm.

https://nationalpost.com/news/politics/trudeau-refuses-to-confirm-whether-arrivecan-covid-vaccine-mandates-will-be-lifted-after-next-week

FWIW I did get call from a polling firm on Thursday and some of the questions were around the arrivecan

That would be awesome if they do away with it.  I have a Canada cruise next month. Should their requirement disappear Id hope Royal makes an immediate change.  the only holdback could possibly be a reroute to Bermuda during storms….I know they rerouted Bermuda to Canada, not sure if a Canada to Bermuda could ever be a factor so they might keep the testing.
I’ve One last Emed test left.  Fingers crossed I won’t need it.   It’s been a LONG year with all the testing.  

Now if only the US would remove vaccine requiements for Canadians flying into the US!!  But its MIUCH cheaper to drive to the US and then fly anyway's, which is what I always do now out of Bangor.

4 hr drive saves me thousands every year on flights!

But I wouldn't get too exited....the app hasn't gone away..it can and will probably be implemented again in the very near future. I wouldn't count if out for long!

Okay Royal lets update your health protocols to eliminate the pre-board testing. Our cost is $95 a piece plus I have to drive 25 miles for the tests (leaving 10/13 on Adventure of the Seas for a NE cruise). We were on an Alaskan cruise the end of June where everyone needed to be tested. My daughter wore a mask all the time and wiped both the plane and the ship down with Lysol wipes (ok, maybe not the whole plane and ship) - but, three days after the cruise all 3 of us came down with Covid. Not sure how effective the pre-testing is since folks are flying to the port, going on excursions, etc. so they can be exposed in any number of places just before and during the cruise.

On 9/27/2022 at 9:03 AM, monctonguy said:

Now if only the US would remove vaccine requiements for Canadians flying into the US!!  But its MIUCH cheaper to drive to the US and then fly anyway's, which is what I always do now out of Bangor.

4 hr drive saves me thousands every year on flights!

I hear ya. We're equal distances between Toronto and Buffalo and we always fly out of Buffalo. Not only for the savings, but I'd rather go through customs in the comfort of my car at the Peace Bridge rather than at Pearson ariport. Only downside is we're more than likely end up with having to take a connecting flight. Having said that I know a lot of people who'll drive to Detroit (about 3.5 hrs) and fly out of there as opposed to TO.