What to expect from a TA?

NJCruisers

Everyone seems to suggest using a TA to make sure everything gets taken care of, however I'm not sure what I can ask them to do for me. When I inquired on this board about booking airfare through them I was informed they don't make a commission from that so I shouldn't really be asking.

I'm getting a little overwhelmed with our cruise to Alaska and I'm not sure what I can and can't ask my TA to do. She is a really nice lady who is patient with me and I have no complaints. I'm just a little out of my element dealing with a TA. 

For instance, I want to book railroad tickets but I don't think they are out yet - is that something I can ask her to do & not worry about it or should I be checking daily myself?  

I'm a huge planner and I really do enjoy researching everything and reading these boards.

Your travel agent is there to manage your cruise reservation, so expect to manage everything else on your own.

Hotels, railroad/airplane, rental car is all on you and that's primarily because those companies do not pay travel agents commission. I'd also argue you're probably better suited to handle those kind of reservations since people are generally more comfortable booking hotels or flights on their own to begin with.

The TA can certainly provide a suggestion or two if you're struggling with an aspect of it, but that's about it.

The one exception is if you book a hotel or flight through Royal Caribbean. Then, a TA can book it for you since they can book it through the cruise line.

4 hours ago, ChessE4 said:

Our TA does everything but cruise planner; air, hotel, cruise, insurance, transfers, and pre-cruise 3rd party excursions. We do pay a fee for air. Next cruise TA arranged Air2Sea reservations.

Thank you. I believe ours mentioned transfers but we haven't figured out flights yet and since we are traveling 2 days before I'm not sure if it will be an option. We booked an Airbnb in Vancouver and a hotel in Alaska on our own. 

2 hours ago, Matt said:

Your travel agent is there to manage your cruise reservation, so expect to manage everything else on your own.

Hotels, railroad/airplane, rental car is all on you and that's primarily because those companies do not pay travel agents commission. I'd also argue you're probably better suited to handle those kind of reservations since people are generally more comfortable booking hotels or flights on their own to begin with.

The TA can certainly provide a suggestion or two if you're struggling with an aspect of it, but that's about it.

The one exception is if you book a hotel or flight through Royal Caribbean. Then, a TA can book it for you since they can book it through the cruise line.

Thank you. We are still very confused with regards to Air2Sea. Reading through it says they have a Price Fare Guarantee but the TA had no idea about that. I pushed that off on another member of the family who travels more than I do to handle, lol.