what are christmas cruises?

Jamie F

im going on a christmas and new year cruise (23rd of december-4th of january on ovation) and ive never been on a christmas cruise before. what is it like? will i have to pack anything christmas related?

bonus question: are my kids allowed to go down to guest services and book activities themselves? or do they need a parent to do that instead.

Thanks!

I’ve done two Christmas cruises on anthem and navigator.  They are my absolute favorite and so magical. My kids ask to do a Christmas cruise every year, in fact my daughter just begged me yesterday, but we try to just do it every other year! They much prefer that over getting gifts, though we do bring stockings for Christmas morning since I have young ones that would be sad if Santa didn’t visit. Bring ugly sweaters, get ready to sing Christmas carols on the promenade, and kids collect a gift from either Santa or royal Caribbean employees (one cruise it was Santa, the second it was just employees). Ask me any questions you have. 

We were on Liberty for Christmas this last year. any activities were toned down due to being on restart but we had a blast. our 10 YO spent a good 45 minutes looking over every inch of the Gingerbread village in the Wind Jammer. We had Christmas morning breakfast in the MDR in our matching PJ's and spent the afternoon lounging by the pool and hot tubs with a mermaid that happened to be on board (passenger with her own tail) 

@Matt Question about Xmas Dinner night: 

I have MyTimeDining and I figured I'd check out the menu ahead of time for Anthem's Xmas night; however the App says Venue Closed on that particular night for all the Main Dining Rooms and MTD (which happens to be the last night of the cruise before we return to port on the 26th).  All the other nights, there is a menu. 

Is that because the Xmas menu is special and hasn't been planned out yet therefore, not yet added to the app?  When would that menu be visible?

or is there some other reason it says Venue Closed? 

On 9/19/2022 at 5:36 PM, D Alt said:

@Matt Question about Xmas Dinner night: 

I have MyTimeDining and I figured I'd check out the menu ahead of time for Anthem's Xmas night; however the App says Venue Closed on that particular night for all the Main Dining Rooms and MTD (which happens to be the last night of the cruise before we return to port on the 26th).  All the other nights, there is a menu. 

Is that because the Xmas menu is special and hasn't been planned out yet therefore, not yet added to the app?  When would that menu be visible?

or is there some other reason it says Venue Closed? 

I believe the menu you see is reflecting the current Anthem menu (which is currently on a 7 day cruise schedule). Therefore there isn't a Day 8 to base anything on. 

I'm on the Dec 18th Anthem cruise too. Can't wait! 

• 1 month later...
25 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Does RC security care about wrapped presents in luggage the same way TSA does? Or will they let it through?

If the x-ray doesn't interest them they'll let it go through.  If the x-ray is inconclusive or if the x-ray reveals something that appears like a banned object they'll reject it.

54 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Does RC security care about wrapped presents in luggage the same way TSA does? Or will they let it through?

I don’t think I’d put anything of value in a checked bag.  I think of the dozen cruises I’ve done this past year this (Anthem) one I’m on is the first time I’ve not seen the infamous “check your cabin for a piece of luggage that’s not yours”

58 minutes ago, Pattycruise said:

I don’t think I’d put anything of value in a checked bag.  I think of the dozen cruises I’ve done this past year this (Anthem) one I’m on is the first time I’ve not seen the infamous “check your cabin for a piece of luggage that’s not yours”

These would just be small stocking stuffer type gift for a 10 yr old, so not a high value item. Just it'd be more convenient to wrap them in the hotel the night before than try to figure out when to do it when we board on Christmas Eve.

17 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

These would just be small stocking stuffer type gift for a 10 yr old, so not a high value item. Just it'd be more convenient to wrap them in the hotel the night before than try to figure out when to do it when we board on Christmas Eve.

We took Wrapped presents on board Liberty last year with no problem.