What are these called, and what are they for?

DSC_0026.jpg

Look above the "Of The" in the name on the side of the ship... the little walkway that folds out from the ship... what is that called, and what is it used for?

I seem to always see these things folded out when ships are in port. If I had to venture a guess, it would be a look out for when ships are docking, to get a closer look at how close the ship is to the pier etc... but I thought the bridge wings were for that purpose as well. 

Anyone know what those are called?

I actually don't know the name for these platforms, but they're used for primarily for two reasons:

1) For officers to get a good view of any obstructions or hazards while navigating in port

2) To offer a better perspective from which officers can guide and instruct dock workers and shipboard crew on the securing of mooring lines

Mono is correct. But, there is also another reason those are out while in port that heralds back to the days of  the pirates......sort of.  They are for the parents of very unruly children on board. They can show the child the little walkway and tell them that's were the Captain makes misbehaving children walk the plank!  :ph34r: Aharr matey!

Actually they are designed for the "Chains Officer" to observe the anchor as it  "comes home" into the anchor housing pocket (where the anchor sits when fully up) . If the flukes of the anchor are not aligned properly (flat against the ships' side) the fluke could puncture the relatively thin metal of the hull.

Wow, my 33.5 years in the Navy finally paid off! We called them anchor wing ramps but the cruise industry may have another name for them. They can always be used as a heavy lift entry point as noted above, but the primary purpose is to observe the anchor as it comes up.

Cheers,

Joe

RCN Officer