Roommate Canceling due to Health

I think I already know the answer to this question but decided to ask anyway.  What happens if your roommate has to cancel at the last minute due to health reasons?  Do you have to pay the full single supplement if you decide to go ahead with the cruise?   This issue recently came up in our group of friends who are on LOTS next month.  Fortunately, the roommate of the lady who had to cancel was able to find someone else to go in her place.  But it made me wonder what I'd do if that happened to me and I couldn't find a replacement in time, especially if it's just days before the cruise date.     

This can come down to the expectations of those involved.

If the person cancelling feels like they should get all their money back then that leaves the person still going to pay the full amount of two guests in that cabin.  Is it fair for the person who is cancelling to get their money back and force the other person to pay more?  In my opinion no, that person committed to going and their health issues are not the fault of the person who still sails.  Your group may see it differently.  

The cruise line does not provide refunds for health reasons.  Individuals can purchase travel insurance that might include coverage for a covered reason and if their health situation falls into one of the covered reasons then the insurance might cover them.  If they decided not to purchase travel insurance then they accepted all of the risk.

So it often comes down to expectations and very often expectations do not align with cancellation policies.  If is unfortunate that a person's health could put cabin mates into this scenario.  However both parties agreed to the terms and conditions which do not provide refunds for health reasons.  If the cruise line isn't providing a refund then why should that person expect that someone else (the other party) should be financially responsible to reimburse them?  

I should've mentioned that all of us have purchased travel insurance.  The person who canceled required major surgery and received a full refund of her cruise fare.  She told me that she didn't want to be at sea and have complications so soon after surgery, which is totally understandable.  Her roommate had decided that she was going whether she found a replacement roommate or not.  We're all in our 60s so this kind of thing is most likely to come up.  If it happens to me I'm most likely just going to suck it up and pay rather than miss the cruise.

1 hour ago, Southern Waters said:

I should've mentioned that all of us have purchased travel insurance.  The person who canceled required major surgery and received a full refund of her cruise fare.  She told me that she didn't want to be at sea and have complications so soon after surgery, which is totally understandable.  Her roommate had decided that she was going whether she found a replacement roommate or not.  We're all in our 60s so this kind of thing is most likely to come up.  If it happens to me I'm most likely just going to suck it up and pay rather than miss the cruise.

You'll want to discuss your scenario with your insurance provider.  In the US insurance is regulated by each state so what I get covered may not be the same as you and vice versa.  Some insurance requires that the cabin cancels collectively meaning both people cancel the cruise.  I'd call your insurance provider and ask them what happens if just one person cancels in a cabin.  For example, is the second person protected from price increases when the cruise line reprices the cruise?  

4 hours ago, twangster said:

You'll want to discuss your scenario with your insurance provider.  In the US insurance is regulated by each state so what I get covered may not be the same as you and vice versa.  Some insurance requires that the cabin cancels collectively meaning both people cancel the cruise.  I'd call your insurance provider and ask them what happens if just one person cancels in a cabin.  For example, is the second person protected from price increases when the cruise line reprices the cruise?  

Great advice, I'll check into that for sure.