Bermuda Reroute in the Fall?

jeffmw

I'm on Adventure starting 9/24, on a 5-day cruise from NJ to Bermuda. With the tropical storm moving through the Caribbean now, there seems to be a decent chance it's going to be going to turn north and go through the Bermuda area while we're supposed to be docked. 

Two questions on a reroute situation:

1. It seems NE/Canada is typically the most common reroute, but with it being late September I can't imagine they're going to take people who packed for a beach vacation to Maritime Canada. I assume most passengers wouldn't have appropriate clothing for the weather. With only 5 days and a storm moving north from the south (potentially blocking a path to a Caribbean), any thoughts what they may do? (Complete speculation is fine)
  2. I've read conflicting things about what they do in this situation as far as a credit. I saw one person earlier this year saying they got a 50% credit for the cruise fare plus an on-board credit, while others have said you're SOL. Can anyone confirm one way or the other?

Thanks!

Jeff

Yes they will re-route to cold Canada.  When it has happened in the past some people love it as Canada/NE are often more expensive cruises while other people dislike it since change is bad.  This is cruising in hurricane season.  Ports can and will be changed.  Some will love it and some will not.  That's okay, to each their own.  

15 minutes ago, Toby said:

If you re-route it will save you $40 pp "Health Tax" Bermuda extorts from international travelers.  Before I get lit up the term "extorts" is my opinion.

Curious what about the fee triggers this reaction?  We cruisers often have to travel to vacation and are used to tolls, baggage fees and cover charges.  Do you gripe about them as well or just Bermuda's $40?

40 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

I wouldn't even worry about the storm in relation to your cruise until we see what it does when it hits Hispaniola.

Yes, you're right. The certainly level is low, but if you look at the "spaghetti models" nearly all of them have the storm turning upwards towards Bermuda (and actually the models have gone heavily in that direction over the past 24 hours.) A couple hit it directly. Most of the others dissipate prior-to, which leads me to believe we'd at least have some considerable rain as the remnants of the storm pass through. 

56 minutes ago, teddy said:

This is a beautiful time of year to go to the Maritimes. 

Yes, and I've never been to them and do want to go there but, 1) We're going with our two kids [8 and 10] and there seems to not be much to do on those ports for kids. I've actually seen a lot of posts here and elsewhere complaining about how little there is to do in Halifax, and 2) We're excited for a warm beach vacation. We don't particularly want to go somewhere where it's 65 and raining. Being rerouted south, at least you get roughly the same type of vacation. 

1 hour ago, jeffmw said:

I've read conflicting things about what they do in this situation as far as a credit. I saw one person earlier this year saying they got a 50% credit for the cruise fare plus an on-board credit, while others have said you're SOL. Can anyone confirm one way or the other?

Any knowledge or experience as far as this is concerned?

1 hour ago, Larry Muster said:

Curious what about the fee triggers this reaction?  We cruisers often have to travel to vacation and are used to tolls, baggage fees and cover charges.  Do you gripe about them as well or just Bermuda's $40?

You will need to provide evidence a Bermuda Travel Authorization application costs Bermuda $40 each to process.

13 hours ago, jeffmw said:

I'm on Adventure starting 9/24, on a 5-day cruise from NJ to Bermuda. With the tropical storm moving through the Caribbean now, there seems to be a decent chance it's going to be going to turn north and go through the Bermuda area while we're supposed to be docked. 

Two questions on a reroute situation:

1. It seems NE/Canada is typically the most common reroute, but with it being late September I can't imagine they're going to take people who packed for a beach vacation to Maritime Canada. I assume most passengers wouldn't have appropriate clothing for the weather. With only 5 days and a storm moving north from the south (potentially blocking a path to a Caribbean), any thoughts what they may do? (Complete speculation is fine)
  2. I've read conflicting things about what they do in this situation as far as a credit. I saw one person earlier this year saying they got a 50% credit for the cruise fare plus an on-board credit, while others have said you're SOL. Can anyone confirm one way or the other?

Thanks!

Jeff

I sailed Adventure the end of May and the next cruise to Bermuda was rerouted to Canada (I forget why)….lots of people were unhappy as they were not dressed for the cold  

On 9/16/2022 at 1:16 PM, jeffmw said:

Any knowledge or experience as far as this is concerned?

It's a total crapshoot - technically, you're not entitled to anything. Cruise contract says they can change ports if needed. Goodwill/Customer service says they SHOULD provide something back, but how much, is anyone's guess as it's up to RC's discretion. 

On 9/16/2022 at 12:16 PM, jeffmw said:

It seems NE/Canada is typically the most common reroute, but with it being late September I can't imagine they're going to take people who packed for a beach vacation to Maritime Canada. I assume most passengers wouldn't have appropriate clothing for the weather. With only 5 days and a storm moving north from the south (potentially blocking a path to a Caribbean), any thoughts what they may do? (Complete speculation is fine)

I would say follow James Van Fleet on Twitter (@JamesVanFleet) - he posts daily weather updates for the Royal Caribbean fleet (RC ships only). As you get closer to your sail date, you'll get a better idea of what to expect based on his weather updates. But as others have said, if you do get re-routed, it'll be to Canada. 

17 hours ago, JC Pats said:

I would say follow James Van Fleet on Twitter (@JamesVanFleet) - he posts daily weather updates for the Royal Caribbean fleet (RC ships only). As you get closer to your sail date, you'll get a better idea of what to expect based on his weather updates. But as others have said, if you do get re-routed, it'll be to Canada. 

Yeah I'm following him and he does provide updates. As of yet, he's only worried about the cruises that are sooner and says he'll get to this one after this weekend.

As of now, it looks like it's now a hurricane that's going to directly hit Bermuda a few days before we get there. If it's a strong enough storm I doubt we'd be able to go there even if the storm is passed.

But then the issue is that the storm is going further north and is going to cause issues in Canada, so I'm not sure that's even an option as a replacement. And I don't think they can get to the Caribbean and back from NJ on a 5-day cruise. So....???

We are going on the same cruise! And ironically we went on the same itinerary in June but got rerouted to Canada (Halifax & St. John). But in this case, Fiona is traveling north so I don’t believe that will be an option. As I see it, it should be safe to get to Bermuda as the storm will have passed by then if we travel down the US coast and then over to Bermuda. The only thing up in the air in my mind is whether the port will be open depending on how much damage is done by the hurricane. 

So now it does appear a CAT 3-4 hurricane is going to hit Bermuda 3 days before we're scheduled to arrive there. PLUS, that hurricane is going to be heading right up to Canada thereafter, making it very unlikely it's going to go there either. Jim Van Fleet said the weather in Bermuda is scheduled to be good by the time we get there, but I can't imagine they'll be able to take a cruise ship 3 days after a massive hurricane. 

They can't get to the Caribbean and back from NJ on a 5-day cruise. So... now what?