Question regarding Royal up

Maybe it was just my particular circumstances, but I booked a Junior Suite on FoTS this past January.  After I paid my balance and a week or so later, I was given the opportunity to Royal Up.  I was doing a solo cruise, so I checked with my TA and she said that since I was cruising solo, whatever I bid would be JUST for me and she said that they had verified that through RCI.  

Unfortunately, that proved to be not true for me.  I bid $300 for a GS.  They accepted the bid, but then tried to pull $600 off my card.  At the time, I didn't have that much room on it, as my bill was due in a couple of weeks anyway, so I ended up not getting the upgrade (which wasn't so much of an issue, as JS proved to quite sufficient).  The point is, for me, anyway, it seems that whatever I put as the bid, it is based on Double Occupancy, even though I was cruising solo.  I don't know if that is a change in policy, or if that is the way that it has always been. I don't really see that detail delineated anywhere.  My TA was surprised too.  (Us solo cruisers can't seem to get any love!  😞  ) Anyway, YMMV, but something to keep in mind.

40 minutes ago, santley88 said:

Maybe it was just my particular circumstances, but I booked a Junior Suite on FoTS this past January.  After I paid my balance and a week or so later, I was given the opportunity to Royal Up.  I was doing a solo cruise, so I checked with my TA and she said that since I was cruising solo, whatever I bid would be JUST for me and she said that they had verified that through RCI.  

Unfortunately, that proved to be not true for me.  I bid $300 for a GS.  They accepted the bid, but then tried to pull $600 off my card.  At the time, I didn't have that much room on it, as my bill was due in a couple of weeks anyway, so I ended up not getting the upgrade (which wasn't so much of an issue, as JS proved to quite sufficient).  The point is, for me, anyway, it seems that whatever I put as the bid, it is based on Double Occupancy, even though I was cruising solo.  I don't know if that is a change in policy, or if that is the way that it has always been. I don't really see that detail delineated anywhere.  My TA was surprised too.  (Us solo cruisers can't seem to get any love!  😞  ) Anyway, YMMV, but something to keep in mind.

It's always been the policy that a solo cruiser pays for double occupancy.

It's right in the FAQ that you have access to through the RoyalUp invitation.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/how-will-single-guests-be-charged-for-a-royalup-upgrade

In addition, the email they send you confirming your Royal Up will show the total you would be charged if you won the upgrade.  I think people don't really look at them, but it's there.

On 9/16/2022 at 1:21 PM, SpeedNoodles said:

It's always been the policy that a solo cruiser pays for double occupancy.

It's right in the FAQ that you have access to through the RoyalUp invitation.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/how-will-single-guests-be-charged-for-a-royalup-upgrade

In addition, the email they send you confirming your Royal Up will show the total you would be charged if you won the upgrade.  I think people don't really look at them, but it's there.

I understand.  I can be a bit obtuse at times...  ☺️  And, as I stated, it all worked out.  I guess there seems to be a bit of a disconnect between some of the RC staff and our TA counterparts.  But, you live and learn.  So next time, I'll know....  Thanks for the confirmation, though.