Canceled excursion

SFaz

Hello. We are to set sail on Quantum in 3 days and I was just emailed that they have canceled our excursion in Skagway. This is the second excursion in Skagway that has been canceled. (At least with that one they gave us each $40 OBC to soften the blow) And now there are no other excursions that are showing as available. (I know I can book thru a private company but I like the comfort of knowing it’s thru Royal) Anyone else had excursions canceled this close to sailing? 

I wouldn't worry too much about booking via third party. You'll likely find that people on the excursion you choose are a mixture of Cruise Line Bookings and Third Party Bookings. Plus, these vendors are keenly aware that a high percentage of their patrons have a return time commitment, if that is a concern.

BONUS: You're very likely to get the same experience at a considerably lower price by going third party.

FYI: We just returned from Skagway and the views on the White Pass & Yukon Railroad are spectacular! Skagway Brewing Co. has a very good menu of Craft Beer, Cocktails, & Food, as well.

4 hours ago, HeWhoWaits said:

We've had things canceled AFTER we boarded (and not just those that happen because of an itinerary change necessitated by weather or a medical emergency).

It doesn't happen often, but it's not something new.

Did they offer you any compensation for canceling it? 

On 9/16/2022 at 9:33 AM, SFaz said:

Now when I try and search for Skagway under excursions and it’s not even showing. 

They may had to cancel the port.  I am hearing/reading stories that Alaska is being slammed with storms. Not sure if the storm is near Skagway but that could be why they have canceled the port. 

https://news.yahoo.com/disaster-declared-alaska-intense-storm-180814887.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall

@SFaz - it looks like the mud slides are still affecting the cruise ships being able to dock or even tender at Skagway.  Between that and the high winds/waves, RC may be playing the safety card and canceled the port.  I hope you have a great vacation - no matter where you end up.  Just say flexible and have another drink. LOL

https://khns.org/more-ships-cancel-calls-to-skagway-and-one-visits-without-docking

3 hours ago, FireFishII said:

I would think they would reimburse your credit card instead of OBC. 

It is refundable OBC though, so if you don't use it for purchases on the ship, it will get credited back to the card that you place on file for ship purchases after your cruise. We cancelled one excursion for my husband and had the excursion company cancel an excursion for both of us on our last cruise. Somehow I just managed to spend all the OBC anyway 🙂