RCL Share Price (not stock advice)

I'm very pleased with my recent gains on RCL - I dumped a bunch of turds I had been holding onto that weren't moving and decided to put faith in RCL.

Bought on Jul 18 @ $35.49 and as of today, I'm up over 40%.  I would have liked to have invested more but cash on hand was tight with all the recent bookings made 😄

I'm very pleased but I'm also a little sad because I missed on the chance to buy more, especially to get to the 100 shares needed to get the OBC.

Long term holders are still down but it looks positive provided travel continues to stay on track and doesn't have any more interference due to pandemic concerns.

There will likely be ups and downs over the next two years, but I believe cruising is here to stay.  The issue with the cruise industry has been profitability - the servicing of debt at higher interest rates limits the net earnings of any cruise line. (Now it's about reducing net loss.)   We have more cruises booked and believe others will do the same, at least in our age group.

• dmattinson changed the title to RCL Share Price (not stock advice)

I bought a hundred shares this summer when it was 32.   It is at $50.72 today.

I also bought 100 shares of Carnival @ 9.37 at the same time because we may go back on Princess once in awhile or maybe Cunard or Holland America. You get the same benefit as RCL.  Carnival is at 10.74 but it's bound to jump up higher. It was at 27 a year ago.

Just been looking at NCL as well. We started cruising on NCL back in the day. Have 4 cruises with them including two in Hawaii, the last one in 2018.    It'll take us forever to get to diamond + on RCL so we were thinking of trying NCL again depending on ship, itinerary and price.  NCL stock was at 59 in Dec 2019 before covid, currently at 15.09. It's bound to go back up.

46 minutes ago, JimnKathy said:

We receive more bonus dollars with our Costco Visa than the Royal branded credit card...no need to own the stock from our perspective.

A little confused here, post is about Royal Caribbean stock shares not credit card reward points. Granted BOA Visa card isn't great.

I purchased 100 shares at $22 a share. Have used the shareholder credit 4 times this year and have 6 more cruises booked. At some point The OBC will exceed

my purchase price. I have my fingers crossed that cruising will continue to rebound and RCG share price will increase. Timing is everything.

On 9/19/2022 at 2:32 PM, mac66 said:

I also bought 100 shares of Carnival @ 9.37 at the same time because we may go back on Princess once in awhile or maybe Cunard or Holland America. You get the same benefit as RCL.  Carnival is at 10.74 but it's bound to jump up higher. It was at 27 a year ago.

I was watching CCL and when it dropped down into the $8.80s, I picked up a small position.  We'll see what Friday's news brings.  Might set a trailing stop loss on it to see what happens.

I bought RCL stock back in the spring when it was around $33. I am very happy with the stock performance plus I was able to take advantage of the OBC.  I am now considering CCL - not to go cruising with them but because the price is insanely LOW.  But I am hesitate because RCL seems to be going up with CCL is going down. 

On 10/10/2022 at 4:36 PM, FireFishII said:

I bought RCL stock back in the spring when it was around $33. I am very happy with the stock performance plus I was able to take advantage of the OBC.  I am now considering CCL - not to go cruising with them but because the price is insanely LOW.  But I am hesitate because RCL seems to be going up with CCL is going down. 

Well, the key is to buy low, sell high but I think the key to buying cruise line stock at such low prices is to off set the price so you at least break even some day.  We probably won't sail Carnival again but may give Princess, Holland America or Cunnard a try in the future. That's the only reason I bought CCL stock.

On the other hand CCL & RCL is in pretty deep debt i.e, billions of dollars. Making 100s of millions doesn't even pay the interest so what's next? Bankruptcy?  Is this billion dollar industry too big to let fail? Bailout by the govt?  It's a risk and only time will tell.

1 hour ago, mac66 said:

Well, the key is to buy low, sell high but I think the key to buying cruise line stock at such low prices is to off set the price so you at least break even some day.  We probably won't sail Carnival again but may give Princess, Holland America or Cunnard a try in the future. That's the only reason I bought CCL stock.

On the other hand CCL & RCL is in pretty deep debt i.e, billions of dollars. Making 100s of millions doesn't even pay the interest so what's next? Bankruptcy?  Is this billion dollar industry too big to let fail? Bailout by the govt?  It's a risk and only time will tell.

I look at these as long-term holds.  

The cruise lines may be deep into debt but they have interesting ways of restructuring the debt by borrowing to pay off the current due notes.  As the cruise lines continue to go out with full ships and fares stay high, they will start to see better returns.  The investment into the refurbishment of old ships and the building of new ones surely doesn't help but as new ships come online, if the older ships are no longer fitting into the plans of the company, they can sell them off to smaller operators to recoup some money, transfer them to one of their other divisions, or sell for scrap.   But government bail-outs won't happen for US companies operating foreign flagged vessels.

Cruise line stocks jumped up today. CCL was up 10%. RCL was up 5.4%, NCCL up 6.7.    So I guess, like most other stocks, be in it for the long run.  As I said before cruise lines may be too big to fail.  Even so, I'm concerned about the massive debt they are in. 

• 3 months later...

All of the cruise line stocks are debt-laden "zombies".  

They have no way of paying down their debts and will struggle even more when their debts have to be refinanced at much higher interest rates.

I've made $$thousands writing out of the money puts on RCL, but there's no way I'd recommend anyone own the common stock as a long term buy and hold just to get OBC.

7 hours ago, JimnKathy said:

They have no way of paying down their debts and will struggle even more when their debts have to be refinanced at much higher interest rates.

I've made $$thousands writing out of the money puts on RCL, but there's no way I'd recommend anyone own the common stock as a long term buy and hold just to get OBC.

Depends how often one cruises and how low one buys...  I picked up 100 shares when it was in the tank and have made 42% of my investment back in onboard credits. Plus it paid a decent dividend pre-pandemic and may do so again when the debt structure agreement ends, which reduces the cost per share further.

3 hours ago, Riley said:

Depends how often one cruises and how low one buys...  I picked up 100 shares when it was in the tank and have made 42% of my investment back in onboard credits. Plus it paid a decent dividend pre-pandemic and may do so again when the debt structure agreement ends, which reduces the cost per share further.

It's great that you were able to get money back in the form of onboard credits, but I would not consider 100 shares a solid long term investment.  Someone that bought 100,000 shares the same time you did would have only been able to get back 0.042% of their investment back in onboard credits (because these benefits are capped), making this an extremely risky investment.  Investors are looking at debt, PE ratios, and EPS numbers right now, not return via onboard credits.  As much as I like Royal Caribbean and cruising, I would not jump in right now, especially after considering my energy investments, that do pay dividends today, have appreciated 400% in the past 2 years.  Will I day trade RCL -- Absolutely.  Will I invest in RCL -- not with their current balance sheet.

14 hours ago, DoomSlayer said:

It's great that you were able to get money back in the form of onboard credits, but I would not consider 100 shares a solid long term investment.  Someone that bought 100,000 shares the same time you did would have only been able to get back 0.042% of their investment back in onboard credits (because these benefits are capped), making this an extremely risky investment.  Investors are looking at debt, PE ratios, and EPS numbers right now, not return via onboard credits.  As much as I like Royal Caribbean and cruising, I would not jump in right now, especially after considering my energy investments, that do pay dividends today, have appreciated 400% in the past 2 years.  Will I day trade RCL -- Absolutely.  Will I invest in RCL -- not with their current balance sheet.

Doom, if I could afford to buy 100,000 shares I wouldn't be worried about onboard credit!

On 2/14/2023 at 8:28 AM, JimnKathy said:

Not investment advice, but yes, to hold long term only for OBC is never a good idea.

However, I bought it near the low of 2020 and have almost gotten 100% back in OBC for 100 shares.  So now for me personally even if it goes to 0 eventually, I'm ok with that for those 100 shares while I continue to get OBC (but currently those are 3x my initial investment as well).  Going on enough cruises each year does make it effectively a dividend while I hold.  I'm also holding those as I personally believe the company will get in a better state with the debt with all the increase in revenue from higher bookings and demands from earnings calls (plus my real world observation of difficultly finding cheap cruises and drink packages anymore...)

Now I do agree it's not a great buy at it's current price point for a long term hold due to the debt uncertainty, which is why I've been buying and selling outside of a base of 100 shares when I feel the price is too low or too high.

Trailing stop loss contingent orders to protect the investment are critical at this point - doubling my money is nice but I'd like to hold onto those gains as best as I can - I'm willing to tolerate a little volatility but 10% loss over any new high price is the trigger I set to sell them all.

26 minutes ago, DublinFC said:

I had a link saved to start the process to submit proof of shares to receive the OBC.  The link does not work anymore.  Can anyone point me in the right direction so I can submit the required information so we can receive the OBC?

You can do it directly from #3 on this Shareholder Benefits Q&A page: https://www.rclinvestor.com/contact-us/faqs/shareholder-benefit/

2 hours ago, Cactus527 said:

Related but not - what site/source do you use to manage your stocks?

I use TD Ameritrade for my stock trading platform.  I used Robinhood and Webull but they didn't have the same priority and their limitation on trading hours made me lose $$$ on some deals where there were big run-ups in pre-market trading but dropped when those services opened up for trade execution.  

TD Ameritrade has the ThinkOrSwim tool that I like for tracking historicals, getting news and alerts and seeing what the buy/sell pending orders look like to see how I might want to position myself if looking to increase or reduce my positions.

Side note, CCL hit my threshold and auto-sold yesterday.  I also pulled the trigger this morning on my RCL shares and dumped them after more than doubling my money in the last 6 months or so.  Off to find something else to try to make money on...

On 2/23/2023 at 11:04 AM, dmattinson said:

I use TD Ameritrade for my stock trading platform.  I used Robinhood and Webull but they didn't have the same priority and their limitation on trading hours made me lose $$$ on some deals where there were big run-ups in pre-market trading but dropped when those services opened up for trade execution.  

TD Ameritrade has the ThinkOrSwim tool that I like for tracking historicals, getting news and alerts and seeing what the buy/sell pending orders look like to see how I might want to position myself if looking to increase or reduce my positions.

Side note, CCL hit my threshold and auto-sold yesterday.  I also pulled the trigger this morning on my RCL shares and dumped them after more than doubling my money in the last 6 months or so.  Off to find something else to try to make money on...

Congrats on your successful trades.

• 2 weeks later...

Thinking of selling my RC shares. It's now at 70.34/share. I paid $33/share last summer.  That's a profit of $3742. I would have to do 37 cruises to make that up in OBC.

Or do I keep it and hope it gets higher? It was at $112 in 2019 before covid.

30 minutes ago, mac66 said:

Thinking of selling my RC shares. It's now at 70.34/share. I paid $33/share last summer.  That's a profit of $3742. I would have to do 37 cruises to make that up in OBC.

Standard caveat, not investment advice.

That is a healthy profit so you do what's right for you.  I will just reiterate that holding long term solely for OBC is probably not a good idea.  But if you foresee the price going higher long term, the OBC is a nice "dividend" while you wait.

I've stated my current positions before, but personally I'm looking at the $80s being my probable next level of some profit taking.  And if it crashes back into the $40s, you better believe I'm buying more (barring some new information).

18 minutes ago, mac66 said:

If you are happy with the profit and the tax that comes with that sale, then do it - I learned long ago that only I can set my own risk tolerances and being burned on 50% losses when I was holding out hope after seeing small rebounds eventually saw more loss.  

If you want to play with some shares, sell enough to get your original investment back and then let the rest ride.  Its essentially free money and you can weather many ups and downs without sweating it or watching it too much. 

If you want to see if it goes up a little more, set a trailing stop loss sale trigger (I generally set them to about 10%).  This way, it rides the increases in the price of the share and sets new sale price every time it goes up.  If it loses 10% from the high price it sets, it triggers a sale.  Gives a little tolerance to let the declines happen and acts as a monitored sell trigger if it goes down too much at once.   Its nice if it has very little fluctuation and continues to go up...setting new stop loss trigger every time that happens.

Maybe at least wait until the first quarter earnings come out and see if that drives the stock up or down. RCI is still in massive debt but it seems like they're handling it okay. They are breaking sales records so far in 1st quarter 2023 and it's projects that through the rest of the year. They are still going forward with their Nassau Beach project, kind of CoCo Cay resort except in Nassau.