Sailing out of NJ

LJay0301

Hello All, 

I am going on my first ever cruise! Sailing on Anthem of the Seas out of NJ to Bahamas, I was hoping some more experienced cruisers could let me know of what kind of items to pack since its late fall when I'm sailing out of the area & down into the warmer weather. For reference I am from Long Island NY, so I know the weather is very unpredictable in the area in November. I chose this cruise since it was a local port, I wouldn't need to worry about additional airfare & hotel costs. 

Any advice is greatly appreciated  

4 hours ago, LJay0301 said:

Hello All, 

I am going on my first ever cruise! Sailing on Anthem of the Seas out of NJ to Bahamas, I was hoping some more experienced cruisers could let me know of what kind of items to pack since its late fall when I'm sailing out of the area & down into the warmer weather. For reference I am from Long Island NY, so I know the weather is very unpredictable in the area in November. I chose this cruise since it was a local port, I wouldn't need to worry about additional airfare & hotel costs. 

Me and my family did the same cruise! Instead, we went in August on Oasis. I beg you, please get parking at the port, it's really worth the 150 dollars. If you can, try to get the Key as well. Helped us in our vacation with early check-in, and some of the first people to leave the ship (key has priority dep, and leave at any time from 6 to 9 am).

5 hours ago, LJay0301 said:

Hello All, 

I am also from LI and love cruising out of Bayonne.  I have a cruise in October and December.  Park at the Port. Get there earlier than your check-in time. 

Wear whatever is appropriate for the weather for the day you leave. I usually wear that same outfit on the last morning getting off the ship.  Easy walk to your vehicle and bam, on the way home.  

Novembers have been pretty mild last few years here, so I wouldn't stress too much over it. 

Once the ship leaves port and goes South, the weather will increasingly get warmer.  But for the trip itself, pack normal vacation clothes. The Pool might be too chilly for day one, but you can always head to the hot tubs. So pack a carry-on bag if you want to change into a bathing suit for Day 1. You won't be able to get into your room until after 1pm-2pm. 

Maybe a light windbreaker for the sea days on the first day and the last day going back for outside decks.  

Hope this helps! (DM me if you have other questions)

Also from LI and love the convenience of Bayonne!

I misjudged an October cruise. I know the weather and figure I'd be fine with what I had and I would have been if there weren't issues at the port on the way home. I had to wait an extra hour outside and it was a cold morning. My mistake was not having a warmer jacket/sweatshirt. Weather in the 50's is fine but not when you're standing around not moving. This time i'll have a sweatshirt in my carry on bag just in case. 

I cruised on Anthem on Feb 2022 and the weather was perfect for the month.  It was about 50 during sailaway.  Wear a sweater (you may have to wait outside the port to board until your boarding time is called, dress appropriately for that time).  We are on pool deck bar with a sweater and enjoying a drink.  It was a bit windy when the boat went under the bridge, but still worth hanging on top deck to experience this.  By day 2, I was in capri's and tshirt and I was comfortable.  Anthem has a solarium for adults (16+) with pools and a 4 hot tubs.   If you would like to experience this on day 1, bring a suit with you on board instead of your checked in bags.  Don't miss the Rock show - it was fantastic!  Enjoy!!

Cruised out of there a few times in the summer, but have one on the Adventure late Oct. Been told it's cold the first night, but you can switch to shorts when you hit South Carolina. Not much around the port, but park there as many say.

One suggestion is plan for the weather coming back, not just what it's like going down. Last time I went on an November cruise it was fine going down. Last night of the cruise a snowstorm hit the east coast. Some thing like 3 feet of snow in Buffalo (where I flew out of). Didn't have a shovel in the car and all I had was a hoddie. Lucky for me the shuttle driver had a shovel and let me use it. This time will have the shovel and will throw a winter jacket in vehicle

4 hours ago, tjcruisers said:

Cruised out of there a few times in the summer, but have one on the Adventure late Oct. Been told it's cold the first night, but you can switch to shorts when you hit South Carolina. Not much around the port, but park there as many say.

One suggestion is plan for the weather coming back, not just what it's like going down. Last time I went on an November cruise it was fine going down. Last night of the cruise a snowstorm hit the east coast. Some thing like 3 feet of snow in Buffalo (where I flew out of). Didn't have a shovel in the car and all I had was a hoddie. Lucky for me the shuttle driver had a shovel and let me use it. This time will have the shovel and will throw a winter jacket in vehicle

Always plan for impending bad weather.  If we're going to get snow, leave your house even earlier than planned.  You always have to plan for traffic/construction and bad conditions. 

17 hours ago, D Alt said:

I am also from LI and love cruising out of Bayonne.  I have a cruise in October and December.  Park at the Port. Get there earlier than your check-in time. 

Wear whatever is appropriate for the weather for the day you leave. I usually wear that same outfit on the last morning getting off the ship.  Easy walk to your vehicle and bam, on the way home.  

Novembers have been pretty mild last few years here, so I wouldn't stress too much over it. 

Once the ship leaves port and goes South, the weather will increasingly get warmer.  But for the trip itself, pack normal vacation clothes. The Pool might be too chilly for day one, but you can always head to the hot tubs. So pack a carry-on bag if you want to change into a bathing suit for Day 1. You won't be able to get into your room until after 1pm-2pm. 

Maybe a light windbreaker for the sea days on the first day and the last day going back for outside decks.  

Hope this helps! (DM me if you have other questions)

Thank you fellow LI'er for the tips, I was unsure if I should drive or if I should have a family member drop off to save money on parking but i am seeing a lot of park there advice. 

11 minutes ago, LJay0301 said:

Thank you fellow LI'er for the tips, I was unsure if I should drive or if I should have a family member drop off to save money on parking but i am seeing a lot of park there advice. 

I personally don't mind paying $175 for the week and driving myself there.  I have a truck and last time I was told to park in the outside lot. Not sure if that was because I had a truck or if the garage was full already at the time I got there but it was fine. It's a short walk to the terminal either way. 

Then on the last morning I woke up at the crack of dawn, had my bags with me and was one of the first people off the ship.  Went through to customs very quickly and was on my way out and home. Took me 55 mins to get home from Jersey at that time on a Sunday. Was home by 7 am!

Not sure how it will be on a weekday drop off though. Will find out soon. 

If you have a family member who is willing to make the drive both times to drop you off and get you, it's a savings. 

13 minutes ago, D Alt said:

I personally don't mind paying $175 for the week and driving myself there.  I have a truck and last time I was told to park in the outside lot. Not sure if that was because I had a truck or if the garage was full already at the time I got there but it was fine. It's a short walk to the terminal either way. 

Then on the last morning I woke up at the crack of dawn, had my bags with me and was one of the first people off the ship.  Went through to customs very quickly and was on my way out and home. Took me 55 mins to get home from Jersey at that time on a Sunday. Was home by 7 am!

If you have a family member who is willing to make the drive both times to drop you off and get you, it's a savings. 

My dad is willing to, mostly because I said I would take him to JFK the week before at 3am 😄 so in return he would drop us off. But it is worth talking to my SO about us driving there and parking, mostly for the convenience of leaving quickly on disembarkment day 

I am from Central LI so the drive for me to Bayonne looks to be about 90 mins (depending on traffic of course) i would probably make sure I have double the time to get there.

I've cruised out of NY many times. Took the Anthem last February. Also booked on Anthem this Nov.27. I live in Connecticut so I dress for the first day pretty much by looking at the weather. That will also be my outfit for disembarkation day.  I bring a light jacket for the ship but usually by mid afternoon on the first full day heading South it's already warming up. After that it's usually Florida weather and warmer when you hit the Bahamas or Caribbean. Reverse coming back.

On 9/16/2022 at 1:32 PM, D Alt said:

I’m on Adventure, left on Thursday  give yourself some e yea fine  the bridge before getting to Bayonne area is under construction , 3lanes down to 1.  I don’t recall which exit we were 14C? That was backed up as well.  I’m not used to that.  We did Sunday oasis 2weeks prior snd it was a snap  the Friday Oasis in June was easy as well.  So I’m thinking the construction project is getting larger, or further in to the bridge, making it more difficult for vehicles. 

3 hours ago, Pattycruise said:

I’m on Adventure, left on Thursday  give yourself some e yea fine  the bridge before getting to Bayonne area is under construction , 3lanes down to 1.  I don’t recall which exit we were 14C? That was backed up as well.  I’m not used to that.  We did Sunday oasis 2weeks prior snd it was a snap  the Friday Oasis in June was easy as well.  So I’m thinking the construction project is getting larger, or further in to the bridge, making it more difficult for vehicles. 

Thanks Patty!

On 9/15/2022 at 2:20 PM, LJay0301 said:

Hello All, 

Since you already live in Long Island you're already familiar with the weather.  I live in Chicago and I've done Anthem several times I've cruise out during January, February and March. Although I've never cruised on Anthem in November I would say for their day I would wear what you normally would wear on long Island during the month of November which I'm assuming is probably a lite jacket and long pants.  By the time you get up the next morning it will be warm outside, at least it was to me.  Coming from Chicago in January where it could be single digit temperatures hitting 60 degrees and climbing to 70 degrees on the day after departure is shorts, teeshirt and flipflop weather.  However some people were still snuggled up in their winter coats perhaps 60 degrees was too cold for them.  By day three everyone is in shorts, swimwear, not a single winter coat in sight. 

On the way back to Cape Liberty this year I was still in shorts, teeshirt, and flip-flops on the last day of the cruise.  In my opinion the temperature was great and comfortable I didn't need long pants and long sleeve shirt until the sun set on that last night.  But once the sun set the temps really took a tumble and by the time we pulled by into Cap Liberty the next morning it was 38 degrees outside. Again as a person who is used to cool/cold weather 65 degrees on the final day of the cruise was lovely. Knowing what to pack totally depends on you and your body type, if you are a person who thinks 60-70 degrees is cold/cool then you might want to pack accordingly. 

On 9/18/2022 at 9:11 AM, JasonOasis said:

Since you already live in Long Island you're already familiar with the weather.  I live in Chicago and I've done Anthem several times I've cruise out during January, February and March. Although I've never cruised on Anthem in November I would say for their day I would wear what you normally would wear on long Island during the month of November which I'm assuming is probably a lite jacket and long pants.  By the time you get up the next morning it will be warm outside, at least it was to me.  Coming from Chicago in January where it could be single digit temperatures hitting 60 degrees and climbing to 70 degrees on the day after departure is shorts, teeshirt and flipflop weather.  However some people were still snuggled up in their winter coats perhaps 60 degrees was too cold for them.  By day three everyone is in shorts, swimwear, not a single winter coat in sight. 

On the way back to Cape Liberty this year I was still in shorts, teeshirt, and flip-flops on the last day of the cruise.  In my opinion the temperature was great and comfortable I didn't need long pants and long sleeve shirt until the sun set on that last night.  But once the sun set the temps really took a tumble and by the time we pulled by into Cap Liberty the next morning it was 38 degrees outside. Again as a person who is used to cool/cold weather 65 degrees on the final day of the cruise was lovely. Knowing what to pack totally depends on you and your body type, if you are a person who thinks 60-70 degrees is cold/cool then you might want to pack accordingly. 

my concern for weather was more on the cruise ship, since i have never been on one i do not know how cold the winds make it etc., while sailing through the area. I personally do not mind cold weather, and really only take my coat out once its gets around 30 degrees so i wasn't sure what to bring in reference to how much cooler it its while on board / sailing. Im a bit of an over packer to begin with so i didn't want to bring anything that seemed silly to have for the weather.