Tips in Southern Caribbean Cruises?

Michael A. Jr.

We rented a car in Curacao last time and are doing it again next week. You can explore on your own for @$100 for the car. We had 4 people and one excursion would have been more than the car. We had snorkeling gear and hit a few beaches. No car in Aruba for us. There is a bus station really close to the port. Going to a beach with a restaurant over the water.

In curaçao we hired a driver for the day (Eddie) at the taxi stand right off the ship. We had 8 people, total cost was $200/family. He stayed with us all day, gave us a tour of the island and took us to some amazing beaches. The highlight was snorkeling with sea turtles. We have been to Aruba before, lots of great snorkeling spots, or just take a cab to eagle beach. We rented golf carts in Bonaire. Not much to do there other than snorkel. Few food options. We got back on the ship early. 

I would suggest going to a beach at least once.  The drive-around-the-island tours get old - one is probably enough.  Some beaches are accessible by bus in addition to taxi, and other members have posted about day passes at local resorts.  Curacao and Aruba are walkable downtown or to nearby shopping.

I rented a car in Aruba and visited several beaches and also made a dinner reservation at a local restaurant.  Took a catmaran cruise before dinner.

LOVED Aruba.  Curacao, took a bus tour that stopped for lunch and snorkeling.  Curacao is hands down one of my favorite ports, so gorgeous and the snorkeling was phenomenal!