What Happened to Icon of the Seas?

Icon of the Seas is slated to launch in about a year from now. On this Summer's President's Cruise Michael Bayley said they would have a big social media rollout for Icon of the Seas around the September time frame. Then the teaser video dropped on August 10.  Cool. Then Episode 1 on August 18. Nice.  Followed by dead silence for nearly 4 weeks.  

Certainly this revolutionary ship deserves more social media attention leading up to the opening of bookings only a year out. We still pretty much know nothing about ship venues, restaurants, entertainment, home ports, itineraries.  I'm surprised they haven't started to sprinkle a few more teasers with maybe the name of a new venue, an original production show, new restaurant concept, something.  What am I missing?

I think I heard something somewhere on this forum, or maybe another, about a big launch event or ad campaign in New York City sometime in Sept for Icon? Cannot remember where I saw it or confirm whether true. Other than maybe waiting on that (which may indicated that she will homeport in NJ), maybe there has been a delay on Icon and she won't debut as early as expected? Really no idea, just theories.

4 hours ago, nate91 said:

I think I heard something somewhere on this forum, or maybe another, about a big launch event or ad campaign in New York City sometime in Sept for Icon? Cannot remember where I saw it or confirm whether true. Other than maybe waiting on that (which may indicated that she will homeport in NJ), maybe there has been a delay on Icon and she won't debut as early as expected? Really no idea, just theories.

😲 I hadn't heard the rumor Icon might homeport here in NJ? Oh that would be amazing though!

I imagine a project the size of a ship has got to be dealing with supply chain issues.  I know my work projects are all kinds of screwed up with lead times growing from 60 days to 18 months for some major systems.  It could be as simple as they need 10,000 lifejackets but can only source 1,000 right now.  Stuff that was taken for granted as being readily available just isn't right now.  Need 4,000 TVs? Sorry, the best we can do is ship 500.   

The point is it has to be very hard to nail down a commitment for finishing the ship.  They almost didn't meet Wonder's inaugural date so they have to have learned to be more conservative setting an inaugural date.  

The big party whenever that may be will need to know the inaugural date to make the big splash and open it for sales.  They can't open it without showing deck plans so they need the big media event first which needs the inaugural date to be pretty firm.

It very conceivable it's not going to finish on time.  

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, FireFishII said:

I am confused that it is taking this long to setup its inaugural cruise.  The other royality line has a new class of ship coming out in Feb 2024 and they have already released the first three cruises for bookings.  When does RCL usually open the bookings for new cruise ships?  

As stated above, it's likely they're running into supply issues. The inaugural for Wonder was in April of this year and went on sale in September 2021, so 7ish months lead time? And that was after the last-minute pivot to a US homeport from Asia.

1 hour ago, GKMCruising said:

The inaugural for Wonder was in April of this year and went on sale in September 2021, so 7ish months lead time? And that was after the last-minute pivot to a US homeport from Asia.

Thanks, that is what I was looking for - 7ish month lead time.  It is funny how one company does it with 7 months while a different company does it with 17 months.  But as my brother reminded me - don't plan on cruising on the actual published date - because lots can happen and the ship launch could be delayed.