COVID Protocol

PanzerBMW

Hello Matt,

My family and I just completed an Alaska cruse on Ovation. We had a very strange situation happen at the end of our journey. We had two rooms next to each other on the 13th deck. The family next to my Mothers room contacted COVID and they were quarantine to their room. Our room steward (Michael) still was responsible for cleaning their room. Well it happened. We all contracted COVID which was horrible. Is it RCL policy for the steward to clean both COVID and non-COVID rooms? We had a great time but it ended horribly. Your thoughts?

Kenneth Reardon

When I was  in quarantine no one was allowed in my room.  Meals were left outside my door and I had to bag my own garbage and leave it outside my cabin.  I was not offered fresh towels either.  I also did not have the privelege to stay in my own cabin.  Honestly, you could have contracted it anywhere on the ship.  The stateroom attendant at least wears a mask so it's less likely he gave it to you.

It was probably a timing issue. The crew seems very careful because it’s their lively hood. I guess it was probably spread before they knew. But of course you never really know. Once they know they will do whatever they can to prevent further spread. To not do so hurts their bottom-line. Let’s face it, it’s a corporation trying to make money.

It sucks but it’s reality. I got COVID on an Alaska cruise before they dropped most of the protocols. I had to cancel my next cruise. There’s still a possibility of cruising getting disrupted by COVID but it’s not stopping me.

When I had covid on Serenade, the attendant was not allowed to clean the room anymore. They'd exchange towels as needed, but suspended daily cleaning.

Two questions: How do you know the person in the room had covid and the cruise line was aware of it?

And when did you start feeling sick? Did you fly home? 

Hello Matt, thanks for the reply. It was day six when I was in the hall and I overheard our room attendant talking the passenger of this quarantine room. It was very apparent that our room attendant had no idea he was in quarantine status. The passenger was also asking for special luggage tags for departing the ship. Once this conversation had completed and the passenger refused room service the attendant approached me and was very apologetic. He stated that he was not made aware that this room was in quarantine. I pointed out that we had noticed dishes being left at the door for at least a couple of days. Before leaving the attendant mentioned that he would be contacting his supervisor for he had been cleaning the room every day except for today. I made sure to tip our attendant before leaving for I had that feeling. We never saw Michael again.

I started feeling really bad on the day we departed the ship. I tested that evening and was positive. We had planned on staying in Seattle for a few extra days to see family. I just stayed in my hotel room and slept. On the third day I was feeling better with no fever and things were returning to normal. On the fifth day I tested negative so we decided to fly back home. I still wore a M95 mask for five days after my negative results. This trip did have additional travel expense with additional hotel nights and flight change fee. The RCL insurance did not cover these costs but I am good because it was still a great vacation.