Can we talk Texas?

Reigert2008

We just returned home from our first cruise out of Texas.  One thing that struck us as different was that the Texas flag was hanging on the promenade, over the "TV" at the pool, and off the bridge.  These were only there on embarkation day and then disappeared until the last night / early morning of disembarkation (next embarkation).  

With Royal, we have cruised from Maryland, Washington State, and multiple ports in Florida and we've never seen a state flag being displayed in this manner.  Is this some Texas regulation or something that requires ships to do this?  

12 hours ago, teddy said:

Everything’s bigger in Texas 

Everything is bigger and better in Texas!

Texans are very proud of their state.  I have traveled and lived throughout the US and there is no state that is even close.  You see Texas flags everywhere in Texas.

On 9/12/2022 at 1:34 PM, Reigert2008 said:

We just returned home from our first cruise out of Texas.  One thing that struck us as different was that the Texas flag was hanging on the promenade, over the "TV" at the pool, and off the bridge.  These were only there on embarkation day and then disappeared until the last night / early morning of disembarkation (next embarkation).  

With Royal, we have cruised from Maryland, Washington State, and multiple ports in Florida and we've never seen a state flag being displayed in this manner.  Is this some Texas regulation or something that requires ships to do this?  

I've sailed Liberty a few times from Galveston, and the ship does sport a state of Texas theme as it has been home ported there.   We'll have to wait and see if the new ships home ported  take on the theme.

1 hour ago, wordell1 said:

Everything is bigger and better in Texas!

Texans are very proud of their state.  I have traveled and lived throughout the US and there is no state that is even close.  You see Texas flags everywhere in Texas.

It really is a great state.

I have a bunch of uncles/aunts/cousins who live in Texas.  They’ve been trying to get me to move there since I got out of the service.  It’s a bit too hot for me though. 

My oldest uncle always says, “I wasn’t born in Texas, but I got here as fast as I could.”  

According to Texas Government Code, Title 11. State Symbols and Honors. Chapter 3100. Sec. 3100.001. State Flag. The [Texas] state flag is the 1839 national flag of the Republic of Texas. 

The Texas flag is the only flag of an American State having previously served as a flag of a recognized independent country. 

I don’t know if that’s the answer to the question but wanted to share. 

That's just RC playing to the locals, knowing that a great majority of cruisers out of Galveston are Texans. The flag and Texas pride are marketing techiniques in all aspects of businesses down here. When I first moved to Texas from Colorado I found it to be a little obnoxious, however it has grown on me. And I will say the CO has begun to rival Texas with their flag on dang near every possible surface and product. For a long time Enchantment had a cruise director from Texas sailing out of Texas. It was a hoot. During the parade of Flags on the last night - he would bring out the Texas flag and recognize crew members from Texas along with all the countries and they would line dance or whatever and the crowd ate it up. It was a lot of fun.