Worst disembarkation ever!

Mike n Ky

Left Liberty yesterday, self assist, and it was a zoo. The ship had ONE person trying to direct traffic aft in front of the dining room on 4. No announcements were made so we made our way down at the appointed time. They were not checking so people were leaving even though they had checked bags. I told an officer when we got close to the ramp, he was the first we saw along the path, they needed to get more help inside the ship. We have done self as well as checked and we have never encountered what happened yesterday and it wasn't the port as this was our fourth out of Galveston.

Mike - We were on Liberty same as you. Agree - the disembarkation was a CF of massive proportion. We had The Key, which according to the paperwork, said we could leave anytime deck 4 aft. So after our leisurely breakfast in the MDR on deck 5 we headed down to deck 4. A zoo is an understatement. No Key signage, or any signage,  whatsoever. We asked the one person working (probably same as you noted above) who got on the radio and the best she could find out was that our luggage was ready for pickup. Understandably beaten down, she said to just jump in the middle of the line wrapping the dining room. We made sure the people we got in front of were aware it was the crew member telling us to do this - no altercations needed at this point!

Things were great once off the ship and into the terminal. The facial recognition through customs was awesome. Our bags were there and that was that.

Hopefully they get this straightened out, it really tainted that last moments on the ship, especially since this was probably the last time we'll be on Liberty given her relocation at the end of next month.

6 hours ago, GB2500 said:

Mike - We were on Liberty same as you. Agree - the disembarkation was a CF of massive proportion. We had The Key, which according to the paperwork, said we could leave anytime deck 4 aft. So after our leisurely breakfast in the MDR on deck 5 we headed down to deck 4. A zoo is an understatement. No Key signage, or any signage,  whatsoever. We asked the one person working (probably same as you noted above) who got on the radio and the best she could find out was that our luggage was ready for pickup. Understandably beaten down, she said to just jump in the middle of the line wrapping the dining room. We made sure the people we got in front of were aware it was the crew member telling us to do this - no altercations needed at this point!

Things were great once off the ship and into the terminal. The facial recognition through customs was awesome. Our bags were there and that was that.

Hopefully they get this straightened out, it really tainted that last moments on the ship, especially since this was probably the last time we'll be on Liberty given her relocation at the end of next month.

Did you hear any announcements? I was up before we docked, even saw the pilot get onboard, and do not recall any announcements. Usually you hear that the ship has been cleared by the port authorities and then disembarkation information. Neither my wife or I heard anything.

If they had given that unfortunate woman more help perhaps they could have directed Key and self assist to the door closest to the ramp.

Like you I like the facial recognition...then right after you get to the door to the outside you run into the Texas tax patrol, lol, asking people to voluntarily pay taxes on alcohol and cigarettes. 

The last three sailings on Liberty did NOT have announcements on disembarkation. We figured out that you go get in line about 30 minutes ahead of time and were good to go. Yes, there were several Key folks that were placed in line when they came down but it was not an issue. Glad to see the facial recognition back in working order, it was not working in June, July and August but the CBP personnel really did not look at anything so it was quick. Look forward to it this next month.

My experience since the restart has been that no one ever "asks" about my travel plans and desired disembarking options, i just get a random set of tags dropped on my bed. Last time my GF and I had a "check luggage" tag and the couple we were travelling with (linked reservations) had a walk off ... no idea why.

Consequently, we just do our own thing and walk off when we are ready, knowing we have our luggage with us and arent in a rush to be anywhere.

Seemed to work fine when ships were at low capacity, probably going to become an issue now that we are back at capacity but the process does not seem to be catching up with the changes in numbers.

On this cruise we are going pack in carry on only, doing self assist disembarkation.  If you are with large bags my advice is grab any elevatior going up as they are usually empty and ride it up and back down.  On the way back down the elevator car was usually full by decks 9 or 8 and it stopped at every deck disappointing those who thought they might get on this one.

Another elevator hint.  If it is "rush hour" when those who got off the ship in port are returning at the same time, be patient and wait for the elevator to take you back up from the gangway floor.  Some thought the crowd waiting was too large and decided to walk up 2 or 3 decks and catch the elevator there.  The elevator filled to max capacity at the gangway floor and there was no room for those who walked up.