World Cup 2022

Wihue

Due solely to the global popularity of the sport I would lean towards yes. However, it ultimately is subject to the satellite feeds that each ship gets so can vary even from ship to ship. However, on Oasis last December they were showing a wide variety of soccer matches. Unfortunately the best and really only proper answer is you'll have to check once you get onboard.

30 minutes ago, Carlos A. said:

The 2018 World Cup was broadcasted on Harmony of The Seas and several other ships back then so I hope this time will be the same.

I sail almost exclusively in the Summer and have seen several WC's onboard over the years. I'd be shocked if this changed.

49 minutes ago, Wihue said:

Thanks, do they put it on the huge screen on pool deck or only in the sports bars?

thanks 

I've seen both in the past. There has also been a dedicated World Cup channel in our cabin before that showed live matches and then replays 24/7.

One year, probably 2014, they set up a TV somewhere (bar/lounge, my memory is awful) that wouldn't normally have one for a little watch party during a US group stage match.

Just sharing past experience... my full answer for this year's WC would be that I would fully expect matches to be shown somewhere but I wouldn't begin to guess where b/c these things definitely change over time.

14 hours ago, Wihue said:

Hi, does anyone know if the ships will show the world cup games this November while we are sailing? Would like to see some of the games on the ship but wondering if they will be showing them at all? 

We were on Serenade doing the Baltic Cruise during 2018 World Cup and RC held a World Cup viewing party in the aft Jungle/Congo bar for all the Brits on the ship when the UK team played.  There was also a big screen set up in the Schooner bar and every time there was a roar from the viewers the Schooner bar staff went running to the TV to see what the hub bub was about 🙂

16 minutes ago, Toby said:

Sorry if I got the name wrong. Is it called England then?  Is U.K. to all encompassing?  A internet search showed a team name "England" in 2018 World Cup bracket.

Don't sweat it.  He's just giving you crap because England and Wales made it while Scotland didn't. 🙈

But yes, as you surmised, the UK includes multiple countries who compete separately in international football (soccer).

25 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

Don't sweat it.  He's just giving you crap because England and Wales made it while Scotland didn't. 🙈

Yeah we are used to it now lol 

When we did used to qualify ( 74, 78, 82, 86, 90 etc etc ) we used to be home before the postcards we sent 🤣 

Also we only get 2 weeks holiday so we couldnt stay any longer 🤣

Reason no UK team at events or a Male GB team at the Olympics is that some in power at Fifa and Uefa want it that way all the time!

No separate nations just 3 or 4 countries under 1 flag! Bit like the old Soviet Union.

But more importantly for us scots we wouldn't be able to support ABE....

44 minutes ago, Toby said:

Sorry if I got the name wrong. Is it called England then?  Is U.K. to all encompassing?  A internet search showed a team name "England" in 2018 World Cup bracket.

Its ok its complicated lol

Great Britain ( GB )comprises the countries of Scotland, England and Wales.

United Kingdom ( UK ) comprises the Countries in GB and Northern Ireland ( NI) 

The British Isles consists of Countries in the UK and Ireland. 

At Athletic sporting events such as the European or World Championships a GB and NI team is entered however at the Olympics the team is from GB only, NI joins with southern Ireland to compete as a one Ireland team. 

As mentioned previously international team sports are kept to individual nations! The exception is Rugby Union which has the Barbarians who play tour matches.

17 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

Almost as complicated as learning the different versions of "English" spoken over there. Been "taking lessons" from overseas friends for years and still have to ask what the hell they mean every so often. 🤣

🤣🤣🤣🤣 great when you go on vacation though, all those people trying to force sell things soon get fed up and go away when your just standing there saying...fits at? Fit? Fit you onaboot? 

18 minutes ago, Ray said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣 great when you go on vacation though, all those people trying to force sell things soon get fed up and go away when your just standing there saying...fits at? Fit? Fit you onaboot? 

🤣

I sent my one friend a picture of the Fish N Ships menu from Indy in July. I was proud that I knew what the hell a "chip butty" was.

1 hour ago, OCSC Mike said:

🤣

I sent my one friend a picture of the Fish N Ships menu from Indy in July. I was proud that I knew what the hell a "chip butty" was.

That's complicated too. Not every Brit calls it a "chip butty". (Recently had a discussion about this on a Facebook group I'm a member of). To some, it's a chip bap or a chip barm or a number or other variations. I, personally, would refer to it as a "roll and chips". 🤣🤣🤣

18 minutes ago, FionaMG said:

or a number or other variations

Is there anything in the UK that doesn't have a number of variations? 🤣

I called it "something I'm not bothering to try" even though it was only $3-4 or something and went to Playmakers for a burger and fries like a good American.

9 hours ago, FionaMG said:

That's complicated too. Not every Brit calls it a "chip butty". (Recently had a discussion about this on a Facebook group I'm a member of). To some, it's a chip bap or a chip barm or a number or other variations. I, personally, would refer to it as a "roll and chips". 🤣🤣🤣

I was going to ask if the chip butty was in a roll, bap or a softie ( same thing different name )  but thought it would confuse the situation more lol 

9 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

Is there anything in the UK that doesn't have a number of variations? 🤣

Yes ....Boris Johnson !!!!

Everyone calls him the same thing....useless 🤣🤣🤣🤣

4 hours ago, FionaMG said:

Just need to add some brown sauce now to really confuse things. 😂

3 hours ago, Ray said:

Mmmmm brown sauce  😋 

The only thing related to the houses of Parliament that gets my vote 🤣

And so much tastier than tomato sauce or Ketchup 😉

LOL, have had this conversation with my UK friends as well. No brown sauce here.

I have been using vinegar on my fries/chips a lot more than ketchup lately at least. 🤣

20 hours ago, Ray said:

Its ok its complicated lol

Great Britain ( GB )comprises the countries of Scotland, England and Wales.

United Kingdom ( UK ) comprises the Countries in GB and Northern Ireland ( NI) 

The British Isles consists of Countries in the UK and Ireland. 

At Athletic sporting events such as the European or World Championships a GB and NI team is entered however at the Olympics the team is from GB only, NI joins with southern Ireland to compete as a one Ireland team. 

As mentioned previously international team sports are kept to individual nations! The exception is Rugby Union which has the Barbarians who play tour matches.

I hope I didn't create an "International Incident"  🙂

Last World Cup they showed them in the bars, in state room channels and even on the big screens in the aquatheater....my kids had the last boardwalk balcony room and it was a great bonus .

1000 EST kickoff for the WC Final is a real planning problem for me.....not sure I can get from the hotel to the port and complete embark all during halftime.

20 minutes ago, APM said:

Last World Cup they showed them in the bars, in state room channels and even on the big screens in the aquatheater....my kids had the last boardwalk balcony room and it was a great bonus .

1000 EST kickoff for the WC Final is a real planning problem for me.....not sure I can get from the hotel to the port and complete embark all during halftime.

No chance to accomplish that. Just sign up for an afternoon boarding window and enjoy the game THEN head to the ship.