Transportation options to airport from disembarking in Los Angeles?

Eyeonhevn

We are going on a cruise leaving Ft Lauderdale and arriving in LOs Angeles in the spring. I'm stumped on 1. WHICH airport to use to fly home (Dallas) -and 2.  if there is a cruise bus/transport option in LA - and how I might find out the options? There seems to be 4 or 5 airports near LA terminal. 

Any wisdom for me? (There are 7 of us traveling together)

If flying American (or another Dallas based airline) LAX will probably be your best option. LGB (Long Beach) would be closer airport, but I believe it's just JetBlue flights from there so won't be as many flight options from LGB.

Not many regularly scheduled transport options to/from LAX/LA Cruise Terminal from what I've found, so your options will likely be limited to taxi/Uber/Lyft, Royal's airport transfer option, or one of the private airport shuttle services. With 7 traveling, I might look into the private airport shuttle option since after the first passenger additional ones are not much more since the pick-up/stop has already been made. SuperShuttle and Prime Time are the two big ones serving LAX. They both probably have private van/SUV options as well which could be cheaper per person than typical airport shuttle options.

Thank you! I didn’t realize Royal transfer was an option to LAX. Most of us are flying Southwest… and although we have booked our flight to Florida- they haven’t opened tickets yet for our return trip from LA. But checking earlier dates, there aren’t many options anywhere for nonstop flights to Dallas… which is a mystery to me! 

I’ll also check with the other shuttle services as that seems to be a less expensive option. 

thank you for your replies and help! 

1 hour ago, Eyeonhevn said:

Most of us are flying Southwest… and although we have booked our flight to Florida- they haven’t opened tickets yet for our return trip from LA. But checking earlier dates, there aren’t many options anywhere for nonstop flights to Dallas… which is a mystery to me! 

If you're only looking at Southwest, you're right, they don't do many nonstops LAX-DAL. If you're willing to expand your search and look at AA, they will likely offer a lot more LAX-DFW flights. For example, today, AA has 15 nonstop LAX-DFW flights, whereas Southwest has four nonstop LAX-DAL flights, plus a single direct flight (that makes not one but two stops along the way, but since you don't change planes along the way it's considered a direct flight). 

13 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

You could fly Southwest to Love FIeld from Long Beach.

That is true, there is one daily LGB-DAL nonstop which is a decent option. 

37 minutes ago, Zacharius said:

If you're only looking at Southwest, you're right, they don't do many nonstops LAX-DAL. If you're willing to expand your search and look at AA, they will likely offer a lot more LAX-DFW flights. …..

That is true, there is one daily LGB-DAL nonstop which is a decent option. 

True about AA but it would put us arriving at the wrong airport. More complications to getting home if cars are at the wrong location…. Would prefer to arrive at Love field.

what time is the daily flight out of LGB to Dal? Would we make it in time on disembarkation day? 

24 minutes ago, Eyeonhevn said:

True about AA but it would put us arriving at the wrong airport. More complications to getting home if cars are at the wrong location…. Would prefer to arrive at Love field.

what time is the daily flight out of LGB to Dal? Would we make it in time on disembarkation day? 

Southwest flight times vary. At worst, there are connecting flights to Love if the direct flight was too early

https://www.southwest.com/air/booking/?clk=GSUBNAV-AIR-BOOK

We have 3 cruises upcoming from Los Angeles.  (Gotta spell it out, as originally I thought you were asking about Louisiana.)

We have discovered Los Angeles is not very shuttle friendly to and from the airport to the cruise terminal.  We decided to standardize on LAX airport for all three cruises, as flight choices involving the smaller airports are scarce or inconvenient from PDX.  And returning to LAX from the ship, we're just gonna book a shuttle directly from the ship.  That has turned out to be the best and easiest option for us, no matter what port we're at. 

• Eyeonhevn changed the title to Transportation options to airport from disembarking in LA?
56 minutes ago, Eyeonhevn said:

More than just about any other airline in the US, Southwest's times depend on more than just the season, they can depend on the day of the week. LGB-DAL may be 9am Monday through Friday, but 12pm on Saturday and 4pm on Sunday. That's just kind of the way they are, especially from smaller out-stations like LGB. So, I can tell you today's LGB-DAL nonstop left at 2:30pm, but yesterday there wasn't a nonstop at all. 

• Eyeonhevn changed the title to Transportation options to airport from disembarking in Los Angeles?
3 hours ago, Eyeonhevn said:

Hahaha! I’m dying here. What a mess!  Can I blame brain fog from old lady brain? 😬

BTDT last April. If you are docking at Long Beach pier, we did, you can either go Long Beach airport to Love or go out of LAX to Love...both have limited one ways but they are available. Both require either a shuttle or Uber. We did Uber from Long Beach and took a RC excursion to LA and they dropped us at the Southwest terminal.

• 3 months later...

I've got a cruise out of LA in May and looking for best options for my flight.  I can get direct flights to either Orange County or LAX.  Orange County is considerably cheaper, but I'm concerned about how to get from there to the cruise port.

Has anyone ever flown to this airport for a cruise? How do you recommend transportation to/from the port? Is the ground transportation going to be more expensive?

2 hours ago, steverk said:

Has anyone ever flown to this airport for a cruise? How do you recommend transportation to/from the port? Is the ground transportation going to be more expensive?

SNA is almost twice the distance to the port than LAX, so it's definitely going to cost more and take longer. While SNA is a more efficient airport, most or all of the time saved will be lost during the commute. I don't have any specific recommendations on ground transport vendors other than Uber/Lyft, but do expect to pay quite a bit more if you fly in to SNA. 

EDIT - right now, at 9am local on a Thursday, Lyft is quoting pretty much the same price from SNA and LAX to the Port, so ignore my advice 🙂

For our LA port cruises, we'll fly into LAX or LGB and just use Lyft. I think it was $60-70 one way from LAX and about $20-30 one way from LGB (definitely depends on time of day and day of the week). LAX is about 40-45 minutes from the cruise port while LGB is 15-20 minutes. Orange County is WAY far away from the port - not recommended.

19 hours ago, Va4fam said:

Long Beach is a great airport for easy in/easy out convenience.  Used to be able to drop off car, bag, and board plane within minutes. 

Long Beach also has a LOT fewer flights than LAX or even SNA. Southwest has bumped up their presence, but it's still not a ton compared to the other airports. I would say, nine times out of ten, it's quicker to fly a nonstop in to LAX or SNA than it is to connect and fly in to LGB, even with Los Angeles traffic (my colleague is going to Long Beach for work next week, and she's definitely taking the nonstop to LAX and renting a car, which will still save her a good amount of time versus changing planes and going in to LGB itself).