TSA REAL ID Deadline is May, 2023

Done

The pandemic caused TSA grace period for requiring a REAL ID is ending!!!!   Beginning May 3, 2023 a REAL ID compliant drivers license, state issued ID card or a current passport will be required to pass through the TSA checkpoints at ALL US commercial airports!  Now is the time to get one before the mad rush next spring!

3 hours ago, Toby said:

The pandemic caused TSA grace period for requiring a REAL ID is ending!!!!   Beginning May 3, 2023 a REAL ID compliant drivers license, state issued ID card or a current passport will be required to pass through the TSA checkpoints at ALL US commercial airports!  Now is the time to get one before the mad rush next spring!

Get a Passport. It tops all the rest. 

4 hours ago, CanHardlyWait said:

Get a Passport. It tops all the rest. 

I agree on the passport, but…

I recall when my family drove to Virginia and my husband had to fly home for a family emergency and another family vacation we drove to Virginia and the hubby’s ex decided she did not want my husband to drive to Maryland to meet and deliver my stepdaughter but wanted her to take a flight home so she could experience the drive south with her family. (Poor kid)  Due to these experiences and my desire to not travel within the US with a passport I guess I’ll be doing paperwork for real ID

10 hours ago, Pattycruise said:

I agree on the passport, but…

I recall when my family drove to Virginia and my husband had to fly home for a family emergency and another family vacation we drove to Virginia and the hubby’s ex decided she did not want my husband to drive to Maryland to meet and deliver my stepdaughter but wanted her to take a flight home so she could experience the drive south with her family. (Poor kid)  Due to these experiences and my desire to not travel within the US with a passport I guess I’ll be doing paperwork for real ID

Well, in an 'emergency' it's possible to fly within the United States without any ID at all, real or otherwise.  It just takes much longer, as TSA has to "manually" verify your identity.

I think I'm just annoyed/bitter because in NJ it's pretty much impossible to get a Real ID.  They kept on postponing when they would start issuing them, so there is a huge backlog and it's pretty much impossible to get an appointment. I'm not sure what is going on with the DMV over here, but it's ridiculous.  

Last year my license was up for renewal, but there were 0 appointments available to get a Real ID, so I had to just get a "regular" one.  Perhaps I'll be able to get one in 4 years, or whenever my license is up for renewal again.

I'll just have to remember to use my passport, passport card, or global entry card for flights until then.

• 2 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, Toby said:

I agree a Passport is as good as the REAL ID for travel.  I also read a REAL ID will be required for family of active members to enter Military bases for ceremonies and the like.  Will a passport also be honored?

That’s sad.  A lot of military families cannot afford the added expense of the enhanced license.

23 minutes ago, USCG Teacher said:

I'm not sure if it's the same in all states, but here in NJ my REAL ID cost the same amount as a standard license.  Was definitely a bit of a pain to go and get, but no more expensive.

Looks like it's a state by state thing if they charge extra (beyond regular license fees) for a REAL ID