How early a flight out of Orlando from Port Canaveral

CanHardlyWait

We cruised out of Port Canaveral in early August & disembarked on a Friday morning.  We had an 11:00 am flight and a private shuttle to the airport (which I highly recommend).  It was nice to get off the ship and just not deal with traffic at 7:00am.  We checked bags, have pre-check & made our Delta flight without any problems.  We probably could have made a 10:00 am flight if we didn't have to check bags. 

33 minutes ago, Rico Rox said:

We cruised out of Port Canaveral in early August & disembarked on a Friday morning.  We had an 11:00 am flight and a private shuttle to the airport (which I highly recommend).  It was nice to get off the ship and just not deal with traffic at 7:00am.  We checked bags, have pre-check & made our Delta flight without any problems.  We probably could have made a 10:00 am flight if we didn't have to check bags. 

What shuttle did you use? Thanks

1 hour ago, CanHardlyWait said:

Ok, so 11:45am departure wouldn't be a crazy risk then? Sounds like 11am and after is considered safe? Right?

The "standard" rule of thumb is book flights noon or later.  The real wild card is the time ship arrives and is ready to disembark passengers.  If all is on time great!  But I have been on a cruise that was 6 hours late docking due to fog.  That's the extreme!  Weather forcing an itinerary change can change the arrival time.  I am not trying to be Mr. Gloom and Doom.  Some things are just out of anyone's control.

I guess it depends on how many flights are available to where your going. If it's between that and  8pm I'd say go for it. If the next flight is at 12:45pm, I'd be more app to take the 2nd one. If you run into no issues (boat arrives on time, early departure, can't see there being a traffic issue) you shouldn't have a issue. Any delay getting off the ship will cause you stress. One thing that would stress me is I've been on ships that were more relaxed on departure time in allowing us to pick when we want to leave the ship (usually a few nights in advance assuming that time slot isn't full) and I've been on some it's when they tell you a time no negotiation (which caused me to arrive late at my destination later). I would make sure they're aware of the flight time

28 minutes ago, tjcruisers said:

I guess it depends on how many flights are available to where your going. If it's between that and  8pm I'd say go for it. If the next flight is at 12:45pm, I'd be more app to take the 2nd one. If you run into no issues (boat arrives on time, early departure, can't see there being a traffic issue) you shouldn't have a issue. Any delay getting off the ship will cause you stress. One thing that would stress me is I've been on ships that were more relaxed on departure time in allowing us to pick when we want to leave the ship (usually a few nights in advance assuming that time slot isn't full) and I've been on some it's when they tell you a time no negotiation (which caused me to arrive late at my destination later). I would make sure they're aware of the flight time

They are rebooked tickets because we are changing ships, ports, and cities. We already paid over $500 per person and only the outbound portion is transferable. So any flight later then 11:45 will run us another $480 min each on top of the $500 each we already put out. That's like $1k each to fly to and from Minnesota. The 11:45am would just be a few dollars difference. 

If you have to check bags do self embarkation. The lines for checked luggage and tsa are the killer at MCO. We had a 1pm flight in Nov last year and it took around 2hrs to get through both. We got off leisurely and made it to MCO around 10am,  it was noon when we made it to the gate. I did PC in Jan and had same issues, with tsa precheck I made it through in an hour. Luckily my flight was after 1pm. 

The 11:45 is definitely doable as long as you are on your way to the airport around 8am. The port and airport are far apart. As long as you are at the airport around 9ish, you will be fine.

5 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

If you have to check bags do self embarkation. The lines for checked luggage and tsa are the killer at MCO. We had a 1pm flight in Nov last year and it took around 2hrs to get through both. We got off leisurely and made it to MCO around 10am,  it was noon when we made it to the gate. I did PC in Jan and had same issues, with tsa precheck I made it through in an hour. Luckily my flight was after 1pm. 

The 11:45 is definitely doable as long as you are on your way to the airport around 8am. The port and airport are far apart. As long as you are at the airport around 9ish, you will be fine.

Definitely planning on getting tsa precheck now. I'll feel more comfortable about the time crunch. Just trying to decide bet Uber or shuttle from Port. Want what will take off for the airport the earliest and fastest. Not even concerned about price. Gotta make this 11:45am flight.

34 minutes ago, CanHardlyWait said:

Definitely planning on getting tsa precheck now. I'll feel more comfortable about the time crunch. Just trying to decide bet Uber or shuttle from Port. Want what will take off for the airport the earliest and fastest. Not even concerned about price. Gotta make this 11:45am flight.

Uber/Lyft imho will be faster, I have booked private and regular shuttles and find they take longer than I wanted. Of course ymmv as some companies are better than others. The longest I waited for ride share was 8min. 

50 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

Uber/Lyft imho will be faster, I have booked private and regular shuttles and find they take longer than I wanted. Of course ymmv as some companies are better than others. The longest I waited for ride share was 8min. 

So you didn't pre book? (Forget what Uber calls advance ordering) You just got off ship, ordered a ride, and had in under 10 min?

45 minutes ago, Pooch said:

Cruise Control Transportation will do a private shuttle so no waiting for any other passengers.  Reliable company.

Thank you. I just looked into this. $110 for 2 people. Very reasonable. Just would need to figure out if I could do 745 and be cleared and outside or if 8am would be better. Really want to move fast to make 11:45 flight. Many people manage to get off by 745?

2 hours ago, CanHardlyWait said:

So you didn't pre book? (Forget what Uber calls advance ordering) You just got off ship, ordered a ride, and had in under 10 min?

Never pre-book unless I am doing a shuttle. I often do Lyft because they are cheaper and never waited more than 8min. I order when I'm walking out terminal and it's mostly 5min.

26 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

I would also err in the side of caution. I.e if ship gets in at 6am, I would schedule at 8am if self disembarkment. Anything could happen, don't know if 7:45 is good idea because if things get a little backed up they may have less than a 10min grace period. 

Thank you, again. Lol.

I think I will call shuttle company and ask how long they would wait if problem. But Uber is looking better and better. So far nobody has said they had long wait or found none available. 

13 hours ago, CanHardlyWait said:

What shuttle did you use? Thanks

We used Cruise Control Shuttle Service.  Inbound & outbound.  A seamless process overall.  I'm so glad we didn't dick around with driving ourselves or trying to find an Uber.  They upgraded us to a Suburban on the first leg at no additional cost.  But both vehicles were clean and comfortable.  Will use again. 

10 hours ago, lkg276 said:

I drive Uber and Lyft and private ride service at Port Canaveral and as long as your outside in the pick up area around 8am you will make it to MCO with no issues. The only issues we ever have is accidents along the Beachline or an early rocket launch.

Perfect person to ask I guess. What is the average rate charged from Port Canaveral to MCO? I know it varies, just looking for general idea.

• 2 months later...
On 9/10/2022 at 11:13 PM, Rico Rox said:

We used Cruise Control Shuttle Service.  Inbound & outbound.  A seamless process overall.  I'm so glad we didn't dick around with driving ourselves or trying to find an Uber.  They upgraded us to a Suburban on the first leg at no additional cost.  But both vehicles were clean and comfortable.  Will use again. 

NP.  I'm going to look into Cruise Control for pricing, thanks for the recommendation.  We have used Skippy Transportation in the past and were pleased with their service.  It will be interesting to compare pricing.  We are going to attempt to make a 10:20 flight.  It was either that or wait until 3:30 and that's a heck of a lot of time to kill for us.  

3 hours ago, letscruise said:

NP.  I'm going to look into Cruise Control for pricing, thanks for the recommendation.  We have used Skippy Transportation in the past and were pleased with their service.  It will be interesting to compare pricing.  We are going to attempt to make a 10:20 flight.  It was either that or wait until 3:30 and that's a heck of a lot of time to kill for us.  

What month of the year are you going to try this? Also do you have tsa pre check? Keep in mind a 1020 flight will board long before that. By 10:00 to 10:10 the doors will be closed and pushback will have begun. 

Never depend on shuttle service if your in a time crunch to the airport. The shuttle will usually sit and wait for several people before they leave. Uber is the best choice, at 0700 am Port Canaveral has over 40 uber drivers sitting in the waiting lot/que ready for requests within a mile of all the ships.

4 hours ago, NotPayinExtra said:

What month of the year are you going to try this? Also do you have tsa pre check? Keep in mind a 1020 flight will board long before that. By 10:00 to 10:10 the doors will be closed and pushback will have begun. 

August, getting off of Wonder.  I will opt for the private shuttle option, so hopefully that would help us save time and make it.  We do have pre-check, yes.  

2 hours ago, letscruise said:

August, getting off of Wonder.  I will opt for the private shuttle option, so hopefully that would help us save time and make it.  We do have pre-check, yes.  

Pre check will help but more and more are using it. And August ain't gonna help. Private shuttle is absolutely necessary. I'll just say the last few flights I have been on this month, all started boarding 50 minutes before departure time. And again, they closed doors and were ready for take off by the time on our tickets. So if you have a 10:20 flight ask yourself if you are sure you can be at the gate by 9:30. If you miss flight chances of getting seats on that 3:30 flight are slim on a Sunday in August out of Orlando. Good luck.

On 11/28/2022 at 6:43 PM, lkg276 said:

Never depend on shuttle service if your in a time crunch to the airport. The shuttle will usually sit and wait for several people before they leave. Uber is the best choice, at 0700 am Port Canaveral has over 40 uber drivers sitting in the waiting lot/que ready for requests within a mile of all the ships.

Generally, how much is an Uber from Port Canaveral to MCO?

Is it safe to assume the price is the same from MCO to PC?

8 hours ago, jp1 said:

Going PC to MCO is more likely to be affected by surge pricing. If you're one of the first off the ship, it's not so bad but the later disembarkation times tend to hit surge pricing.

On 12/2/2022 at 11:18 AM, jp1 said:

Uber / Lyft first off the boat would be about $75 to MCO, if your off by 07:30 you will arrive at MCO by 08:30 under normal conditions. MCO to Port Canaveral is actually cheaper $55 normal conditions due to lower Uber rates in the Orlando region

• 1 month later...
On 1/10/2023 at 1:07 PM, Rebeccato said:

Are there yellow taxis waiting at terminal 5 Roya Caribbean to pick up customers at 7:30 am? how much would Taxi cost going to MCO terminal A?

Taxi is a rare site at the Cruise port or airports these days. I have picked up people that used a taxi to get from MCO to Port Canaveral and paid $170. Standard Uber from Port to MCO is approx $75-80 depending with XL size vehicle running $100-110. I provide large suv service FYI