New Mobile App

Was just reading the post about the new mobile app RC is creating that likely released this year.  Does this mean more ships will have the bands like they show in the photos on the post?  Or is that just for the upcoming new ships?    Just wondering as it mentions 'being on 20% of RC's ships by end of the year (lousy at math lol not sure if thats just the new ships or including some of the others)    Will be on Oasis later this year (for first cruise ever)  

I remember reading elsewhere on the boards that older ships like Voyager and Radiance class (and I think also Freedom class) won't be getting retrofitted for the smart bands and Royal IQ app use, just because of the sheer cost and effort it would take to retrofit things like all the door locks.

Saying they have this on 20% of their ships is a little bit of a shell game. They have 25 ships total (26 after the fourth Quantum class is built), so they only need 5 ships supporting this to make that claim. If I'm remembering correctly, Harmony of the Seas already supports the smart bands, and I think the Quantum class ships might as well (so that's four down). Assuming Symphony also supports it, there's your five by the end of 2017 (not quite when Symphony is due to start making sailings, but close enough for government work).

I get why they might be selective about changing all the door locks on an old ship for smart bands, but I don't see why they can't deploy the new app fleetwide.  How much more equipment is necessary for an app?  They already have the VOOM networks installed, app support shouldn't take much more than a server install.

Symphony comes out in April, 2018 I believe. But as you said, close enough. I wonder if they are planning on retrofitting one of the existing ships.

The RC website has some Eastern & Western Caribbean cruises schedule this November & December aboard the Symphony. She then does a transatlantic for Med & European cruises. I am doing EVERYTHING to convince my wife that we should take advantage of a cruise on a brand new ship, but I don't think I'm going to win. :(

The RC website has some Eastern & Western Caribbean cruises schedule this November & December aboard the Symphony. She then does a transatlantic for Med & European cruises. I am doing EVERYTHING to convince my wife that we should take advantage of a cruise on a brand new ship, but I don't think I'm going to win. :(

Symphony will start in the Med in April 2018 then the Transatlantic in October 2018 to Miami which will start her 7 nights in the Caribbean.