Island Food & Culinary Insight Tour - Nassau

sailaway_jason

I just booked the Island Food & Culinary Insight Tour when I am in Nassau in two weeks, but was curious if anyone has done this excursion and any reviews you have on it! Is there another excursion you'd suggest instead? The last time I was in Nassau on my first cruise, I did not leave the ship. I enjoyed staying on the ship while in Port and will probably do it in Nassau going forward, but I want to experience it at least once! 

I did the tour a few months ago and really enjoyed it. Honestly, it is a shopping tour in disguise, but at each food stop you get to learn a little bit about their product and get a sample. After the sampling the wait around long enough for you to purchase additional items, but it is not a hard push.

Off the top of my head our food stops were (I may be missing one or two):

• The New Duff for Guava Duff
  • Tasty Teas for a variety of teas
  • John Watlings Distillery for rum and conch fritters
  • The Bahamas Rum Cake Factory for rum cake

We also stopped by the fort near Queen's Staircase and a beach to the west of the city, both locations having souvenir shopping.

Our driver/guide was really knowledgeable and his passion was strong! Our driver was Harrison, who was well known by the locals, and showed great pride in his tour and his bus. He shared history and tales about Nassau, along with different Bahamian music that all tied into it.

Our last stop was at the Fish Fry where we had a lunch and a demo on how they harvest conch from the shell. 

It was a morning/lunch time well spent! Probably my favorite Nassau experience.

2 hours ago, Brendon said:

I did the tour a few months ago and really enjoyed it. Honestly, it is a shopping tour in disguise, but at each food stop you get to learn a little bit about their product and get a sample. After the sampling the wait around long enough for you to purchase additional items, but it is not a hard push.

Off the top of my head our food stops were (I may be missing one or two):

• The New Duff for Guava Duff
  • Tasty Teas for a variety of teas
  • John Watlings Distillery for rum and conch fritters
  • The Bahamas Rum Cake Factory for rum cake

We also stopped by the fort near Queen's Staircase and a beach to the west of the city, both locations having souvenir shopping.

Our driver/guide was really knowledgeable and his passion was strong! Our driver was Harrison, who was well known by the locals, and showed great pride in his tour and his bus. He shared history and tales about Nassau, along with different Bahamian music that all tied into it.

Our last stop was at the Fish Fry where we had a lunch and a demo on how they harvest conch from the shell. 

It was a morning/lunch time well spent! Probably my favorite Nassau experience.

Thank you for this wonderful review! I’ll be there next Thursday and you just upped my excitement for this tour! The distillery is what pushed me to go this route and I think it’s the right call for the last day of my cruise. 

We did this excursion in July. We had five stops. The tour guide kept calling one stop a "distillery" but it was a brewery (not bad but Watlings would've been better).

Our version included New Duff, Tasty Teas, the brewery, a stop to get conch fritters, and a lunch at the last stop. The history and sights included during the driving around was a bonus.

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, MJ_ said:

Also thinking about this one soon, thanks all for the reviews! Can anyone share how much walking is involved? I can walk short distances but have trouble with long distances or standing for extended periods of time.

Almost no walking happens during the tour. 95% of the walking required is getting from the ship to the beginning of the tour and from the end of the tour back to the ship. If you're able to secure a spot on one of the VERY limited carts running people from the ship to the port entry area, you'll be golden.

On 9/13/2022 at 7:10 PM, sailaway_jason said:

Thank you for this wonderful review! I’ll be there next Thursday and you just upped my excitement for this tour! The distillery is what pushed me to go this route and I think it’s the right call for the last day of my cruise. 

@sailaway_jasonDid you do this tour?  How was it?  We'll be doing it off of Mariner next week on the High Seas Rally.  Did you get to go to the distillery?

Just did the tour today with Arthur as our guide.  He is very engaging and wonderful as a guide.  Went to the queens stairs, The New Duff, Tasty Teas, Capes Shack and watlings distillery.  The food sampling including the conch Was very good.  I enjoyed this tour a lot.  

If you are looking for great food and wine on Nassau, you should try Graycliff. They have a special wine luncheon with a tour of their wine cellar. It is about a 15 minute walk from the port.  Then after lunch, you can walk to John Watlings Distillery - that is only a 5 min walk. 

When I was there in June, my family had rented bikes.  But I would not recommend that since the streets are VERY crowded.