Activities while waiting to board later flight...

OasisQueen

What are somethings you do or can recommend for a family of, 4 once you disembark.  Our flight is in the evening which leaves us ample time to kill (like 10 hours).  I'd love to hear some recommendations.  I thought perhaps reaching out to the hotel we will stay at, may allow us to store luggage while we find something to do, otherwise we're stuck sitting at the airport (which is what we did last year).  We've been cruising for over 10 years and you'd think by now we'd have a plan. LOL.  Any helpful advise please and thank you. 🙂 

7 hours ago, OasisQueen said:

What are somethings you do or can recommend for a family of, 4 once you disembark.  Our flight is in the evening which leaves us ample time to kill (like 10 hours).  I'd love to hear some recommendations.  I thought perhaps reaching out to the hotel we will stay at, may allow us to store luggage while we find something to do, otherwise we're stuck sitting at the airport (which is what we did last year).  We've been cruising for over 10 years and you'd think by now we'd have a plan. LOL.  Any helpful advise please and thank you. 🙂 

What port will you be in?

7 hours ago, OasisQueen said:

This has been us a few times post-cruise and it's a real pain.

We have done the cruise line's post-cruise excursion with airport drop-off on several occasions, which usually works well but could be expensive for a family of four.

We have also done the day room thing and that's also a good choice, especially if you have younger kids who'll be happy with a pool and/or a beach. It also means a nap is possible. That is potentially a cheaper option and can work well if you have quite a late flight as you can usually keep the room until about 6 pm.

I have also seen people suggest hiring a car for the day as it gives you a place to store your luggage and the freedom to do your own thing. We have not tried this so I can't offer an opinion. 

We  (read "I" 😂) have decided that, moving forward, we will likely book a post-cruise hotel stay for disembarkation night, since it will be a lot less stressful and we're probably going to spend almost as much keeping ourselves busy for just those few hours anyway. Obviously, though, that's not going to work for everyone. 

I’ve stayed at a lot of hotels where I’ve left my luggage with the desk/concierge for a few hours after checking out. I tip $5-$10 depending on how many bags.  The only down side to this is if you have to backtrack from the airport/train station area to get your bags. 

Alternatively, we’ve used resortpass.com post cruise in Miami with good results.  A quick check of random dates shows many options in Fort Lauderdale.  

https://www.resortpass.com/

20 minutes ago, OasisQueen said:

Sadly, our hotel that we're staying at doesn't offer a day rate.  With that being said, do you know of hotels that DO offer that (in Ft. Lauderdale)?

You can find places by just putting something like "day use hotels fort lauderdale" into Google. That will give you various third party sites that offer this sort of service. If you're uncomfortable using a third-party site then you can just see which hotels they offer and then contact the hotels direct to check availability and pricing. If you use Hilton hotels you can check if they have a day use room available for your dates by putting the same date for both arrival and departure into their booking engine.

19 minutes ago, teddy said:

I’ve stayed at a lot of hotels where I’ve left my luggage with the desk/concierge for a few hours after checking out. I tip $5-$10 depending on how many bags.  The only down side to this is if you have to backtrack from the airport/train station area to get your bags. 

Alternatively, we’ve used resortpass.com post cruise in Miami with good results.  A quick check of random dates shows many options in Fort Lauderdale.  

https://www.resortpass.com/

I had no idea this existed!. thank you.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, OasisQueen said:

Resort pass ended up being totally worth the money.  

Just as an aside, thank you for coming back and posting this!  Most people take the info and just move on with their lives (which is fine!), but I appreciate that you took the time to come back and "pay it forward."