difference between the lounges

PRMLVM

Are there any differences between the Suite Lounge and the Concierge Lounge?  Any different perks or hours or...?   If no, the different names seems a little confusing.  It's nice to know the continuity between the Schooner bars, the Boleros, the Playmakers (etc) from ship to ship; seems odd to muck that up with the two lounge names.   Or are there actually differences between them?

Being a habitual DL user myself, let me tell you the upmost important difference. Over the pandemic, Royal changed the vendor of the espresso machines in the lounges. While I would say the change has been for the better, there is still room for improvement.

That being said; I'll guarantee you the DL will have a operational espresso machine, the SL? Maybe not so much.

In the mornings with everyone diamond and above AND all the crew members with stripes coming into the DL for the free hooch, the DL machine gets quite a workout. Surprisingly I've found ships recently that even have them running on debarkation day! But if you are looking for continuity or some type of homogenous structure across the fleet? Forget it! Different ships have different rules. 

1 hour ago, PRMLVM said:

Are there any differences between the Suite Lounge and the Concierge Lounge?  Any different perks or hours or...?   If no, the different names seems a little confusing.  It's nice to know the continuity between the Schooner bars, the Boleros, the Playmakers (etc) from ship to ship; seems odd to muck that up with the two lounge names.   Or are there actually differences between them?

My understanding is that Concierge Lounges are slowly going away as the ships are updated, and being replaced with Suite Lounges, and this due to the fact that Diamond+ C&A members are/were permitted into the Concierge Lounge.  So it's a way to basically remove the perk w/o actually taking the perk away.

In terms of amenities the CL and the SL are similar in nature, at least for suite guests.  Oasis class has some additional SL perks not found on any other class.

The CL & SL differ in access policy for CAS guests.

Both the CL and the SL are available for suite guests and select levels of the Crown & Anchor Society (CAS).

CL by policy allows CAS Diamond Plus and Pinnacle access.

SL by policy allows CAS Pinnacle access.  

That policy has been in place for many years but as more and more guests moved to the Diamond Plus level this particular level has reached the point where there can be 150 to 500  (or more) Diamond Plus guests on a particular sailing.   Clearly the space available in a CL can't accommodate hundreds of D+ guests while leaving space for suite guests. 

Consequently they started implementing new policy in 2019 to restrict D+ access to the CL when the number of D+ on board exceeded a threshold.  This was pretty much every cruise from the US but in other regions like Europe, Asia and Australia don't tend to see high numbers of D+ so the new policy has little effect beyond the US.

23 hours ago, twangster said:

In terms of amenities the CL and the SL are similar in nature, at least for suite guests.  Oasis class has some additional SL perks not found on any other class.

The CL & SL differ in access policy for CAS guests.

Both the CL and the SL are available for suite guests and select levels of the Crown & Anchor Society (CAS).

CL by policy allows CAS Diamond Plus and Pinnacle access.

SL by policy allows CAS Pinnacle access.  

That policy has been in place for many years but as more and more guests moved to the Diamond Plus level this particular level has reached the point where there can be 150 to 500  (or more) Diamond Plus guests on a particular sailing.   Clearly the space available in a CL can't accommodate hundreds of D+ guests while leaving space for suite guests. 

Consequently they started implementing new policy in 2019 to restrict D+ access to the CL when the number of D+ on board exceeded a threshold.  This was pretty much every cruise from the US but in other regions like Europe, Asia and Australia don't tend to see high numbers of D+ so the new policy has little effect beyond the US.

We aren't high up on the CAS level, but get suites when we can.... So the two lounges really have no difference for suite dwellers?  The perks between ship classes may vary, but the perks between a suite lounge and a concierge lounge (for suite guests) does not; the name of the lounge is just different.

23 hours ago, karl_nj said:

My understanding is that Concierge Lounges are slowly going away as the ships are updated, and being replaced with Suite Lounges, and this due to the fact that Diamond+ C&A members are/were permitted into the Concierge Lounge.  So it's a way to basically remove the perk w/o actually taking the perk away.

Do you think all ships will change over and just start calling this lounge The Suite Lounge?

23 hours ago, bobroo said:

But if you are looking for continuity or some type of homogenous structure across the fleet? Forget it! Different ships have different rules. 

The one difference that I don't "get" is why internet comes with some suites on some ships but not on others.  I know that certain class ships have the sea/sky/star levels...but the same suite on one ship gets zoom but not on another.  Being Loyal to Royal requires some studying!

When we were on the Mariner this June most times the suite (concierge lounge) was standing room only. It was so crowded with the CAS Pinnacles and D+ in addition to the suites that we found ourselves spending our time in the beautiful Diamond lounge. It was lovely, even when the food was offered we had the space to ourselves. We enjoyed it much more. It's a weird thing, the rooms were mirror images of each other yet the D+ and Pins preferred the suite side. Both spaces were gorgeous. Now, the Diamond Lounge on the Oasis class ships we stay away from, downright depressing. Except for the Allure I think. 

On 9/9/2022 at 2:52 PM, Neesa said:

When we were on the Mariner this June most times the suite (concierge lounge) was standing room only. It was so crowded with the CAS Pinnacles and D+ in addition to the suites that we found ourselves spending our time in the beautiful Diamond lounge. It was lovely, even when the food was offered we had the space to ourselves. We enjoyed it much more. It's a weird thing, the rooms were mirror images of each other yet the D+ and Pins preferred the suite side. Both spaces were gorgeous. Now, the Diamond Lounge on the Oasis class ships we stay away from, downright depressing. Except for the Allure I think. 

Interesting, I'm a new D+ but didn't think I had access to the CL, so I stayed away on the most recent cruise. Is there a difference in the drink policy? In the DL, they deducted from my card. In the past, in the CL they didn't worry about the cards and just served you. Did that change in the CL lounge too? 

We were in Alaska last week and the DL was empty most nights. A lot of stairs to sit in the Viking Lounge alone. On the cruise we were on, only 3 PINN's and 40 some odd D+'s and then another 50 or so Diamonds so not a lot of high ranking loyalty folks.