Coastal Kitchen Questions

Coda_Sarah

I am super excited.  We have booked a GS on Allure next year and this is our second cruise in a suite (Radiance 5 years ago).  I have some questions about Coastal Kitchen:

1. Do they require reservations?

2.  Are you seated or do they seat you themselves?

3.  Can you explain the breakfast set up?  Is it a buffet or do you order from a menu?  I would love to have made to order omelette.

4.  Is there a suggested dress code through out the day? Especially dinner?  On par with the MDR?

5.  Anything else that makes CK unique to other dining venues on the ship?

Thanks in advance for your help!

congratulations!!

coastal kitchen is a treat! the service + ambience are similar to a specialty dining venue on the ship, only it will be included since you're in a suite!

• reservations are always recommended (for dinner)
    • from what i understand, pre-covid, we used to always show up around the same time (we were in a crown loft) so i think that was our unofficial "reservation" with a couple minutes buffering either way. if you choose to come outside of this time, just be advised that you may need to wait before your table is ready, depending on how busy they are, how large your party size is, etc.
  • the maitre d (or their assistant, depending on how busy they are) will greet you as you walk in and also seat you at the table for your meals 😊
  • breakfast and lunch are a set menu to order from, similar to dinner (although the dinner menu will change daily, just like the MDR) and you CAN get a made to order omelette! they are delicious 😊 
  • dress code is on par with the MDR/slightly dressier than the windjammer but nothing super fancy.
    • in the mornings, we would pair a nice full coverup over our bathing suit, more like a dress than anything and this was fine.
  • CK has great service and feels a lot like being in a napa restaurant (at least to me) 😍 in the best way! not super buttoned up/fussy, but a calm atmosphere and well staffed.
    • i know there are some that are underwhelmed by it -- and YMMV when it comes to quality of food/service, depending on capacity, the ship + sailing -- but we always try to avail ourselves of it whenever possible. more recently we have been staying in junior suites, which allows us to join suite guests for dinner only in CK -- IF there is room and we are flexible on the timing. (ie, no peak periods) it helps that our party is only 2 people, so they have been able to squeeze us in usually in the past. fingers crossed that will hold for our cruise on symphony in february next year.
    • it's worth trying out at least once for every meal just to see how you like the vibe. when we had full suite access, i think we only joined for lunch once or twice, since we were at the pool and it was just easier/faster to get a quick burger or snack from one of the more casual venues. they will usually post the menus in the app or just outside, so you can see the offerings for dinner, on the chance that you don't like anything, you can always divert to a specialty restaurant or alternate dining option.

i hope this is helpful!! one of the mods/more current cruisers can probably offer some additional "real time" updated guidance (esp surrounding reservations, etc) but hope this will at least get you started 💚

4 hours ago, Coda_Sarah said:

The view is fantastic.  Floor to ceiling windows and it overlooks the pool deck

Coastal Kitchen shares the same space as the Suite Lounge, so from 11a-11pm you can get bottled water, soda, beer and wine complimentary and from 5-8pm you can get alcoholic beverages as well.  They also have an espresso machine up there for you to use to get espresso-based coffees.

9 hours ago, AshleyDillo said:

The view is fantastic.  Floor to ceiling windows and it overlooks the pool deck

Coastal Kitchen shares the same space as the Suite Lounge, so from 11a-11pm you can get bottled water, soda, beer and wine complimentary and from 5-8pm you can get alcoholic beverages as well.  They also have an espresso machine up there for you to use to get espresso-based coffees.

Oh!  I didn't know you could also get bottled water from suite lounge!  We were thinking about a refreshment package even with the diamond drink vouchers.  Part of that reason was because of bottled water and the convenience of the refreshment package.  I had no idea they had water, soda, beer, and wine throughout the day.  My wife does not drink, but she will drink a few sodas throughout the day.  We will need to think about whether we actually need the refreshment package.  It doesn't sound like it's worth it with a suite lounge with these items!

Edited to ask:  When does the suite lounge open on embarkation day?

47 minutes ago, Coda_Sarah said:

Oh!  I didn't know you could also get bottled water from suite lounge!  We were thinking about a refreshment package even with the diamond drink vouchers.  Part of that reason was because of bottled water and the convenience of the refreshment package.  I had no idea they had water, soda, beer, and wine throughout the day.  My wife does not drink, but she will drink a few sodas throughout the day.  We will need to think about whether we actually need the refreshment package.  It doesn't sound like it's worth it with a suite lounge with these items!

Edited to ask:  When does the suite lounge open on embarkation day?

For some reason the 11-11 free drinks aren't really listed anywhere but they exist.

The suite lounge never actually closes, it's just not staffed 24/7. It should be open shortly after boarding begins. Someone just has to let you in as you won't have your sea pass yet to unlock the door.

As an aside, you should receive an e-mail from the suite concierges 5-6 days before your cruise. They will help you with reservations to CK, comedy show, and any other specific requests or questions you may have. Much easier to take care of that stuff in advance, IMO.

Answers in red in the quote box below 🙂

And welcome to the Suite Life!

15 hours ago, Coda_Sarah said:

I am super excited.  We have booked a GS on Allure next year and this is our second cruise in a suite (Radiance 5 years ago).  I have some questions about Coastal Kitchen:

1. Do they require reservations?

Only for dinner. Breakfast and Lunch they will seat you as you come.

2.  Are you seated or do they seat you themselves?

They will seat you. It works like a classic restaurant. You go in, tell the host at the front desk your room  number and party size then a waiter takes you to your table.

3.  Can you explain the breakfast set up?  Is it a buffet or do you order from a menu?  I would love to have made to order omelette.

Breakfast is made to order from a menu. And yes, there are omelettes available and you can customize.

4.  Is there a suggested dress code through out the day? Especially dinner?  On par with the MDR?

Smart casual. Basically the same thing you would wear in the MDR on a non-formal night.

On Oasis class ships, CK is connected to the Suite Lounge so you can partake of the free Suite lounge bar drinks. Wine and beer through most of the day and cocktails during happy hour.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Not every ship has a Coastal Kitchen for suite guests. On Enchantment of the Seas, you instead get a free breakfast at their only specialty restaurant which is Chops. Breakfast is not served there to anyone except Suite guests at Grand Suite, Owners Suite, or Royal Suite. We had a great view of the ocean and excellent service.

On 9/8/2022 at 7:51 AM, OCSC Mike said:

For some reason the 11-11 free drinks aren't really listed anywhere but they exist.

The 11-11 is only on Oasis class ships.  The other suite lounges in the fleet only have the 5-8 Happy Hour, even Quantum class which is the only other class that offers the Suite Class program (Sea/Sky/Star) and perks.  It's probably too confusing to list anywhere since it's very specific to those ships currently.

13 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

The 11-11 is only on Oasis class ships.  The other suite lounges in the fleet only have the 5-8 Happy Hour, even Quantum class which is the only other class that offers the Suite Class program (Sea/Sky/Star) and perks.  It's probably too confusing to list anywhere since it's very specific to those ships currently.

I knew it was Oasis class specific; that seems like a logical enough reason. I still feel like it should be mentioned somewhere.

4 hours ago, Tracey922 said:

Is going for breakfast worth the trek from the Aqua Theater Suites?

i echo the thoughts of @USCG Teacher -- the only thing that might deter me in your situation would be the plans for the day. but that would deter me, regardless of where my suite was located (on deck 17, or aqua theatre, etc) as there are some mornings where we find a sit down breakfast to be a wrench in the works if we have plans to go ashore very early or other activities booked.

CK has phenomenal service and they turn you around quickly (but not rushed!), so it really just depends on your pace for the day 😊

• 1 month later...

This is our 3rd oasis class cruise but first in a true suite. I am excited to visit CK  because of all the feedback here.

Three questions/recommendations:

1) would you book dinner reservations for the entire week or as you go? I am thinking there might be a night or two my husband wants to eat in MDR.

2) Tipping in CK? I know tipping is personal but do you tip and if so, what? We always tip over on cruises because we value to experience the staff provide.

3) I thought I read somewhere that CK serves lobster on night 1. can anyone confirm?

20 minutes ago, Tmsmith said:

This is our 3rd oasis class cruise but first in a true suite. I am excited to visit CK  because of all the feedback here.

Three questions/recommendations:

1) would you book dinner reservations for the entire week or as you go? I am thinking there might be a night or two my husband wants to eat in MDR.

2) Tipping in CK? I know tipping is personal but do you tip and if so, what? We always tip over on cruises because we value to experience the staff provide.

3) I thought I read somewhere that CK serves lobster on night 1. can anyone confirm?

When the suite concierge emails you in the days before the cruise request whatever reservations in CK you desire.  You can preview the menus in the app, subject to change.  If every menu looks great, request reservations every night.

Tipping is up to you.  If service is great, tip.  If it isn't, that's up to you.  Follow your heart.

Lobster on night one?  Never heard that.  Filet Mignon yes, on some ships, other ships do the filet on other nights, but I've never seen lobster in CK out of cycle and on lobster night it tends to be a lobster puree type entree that may or may not work for you.  Many lobster lovin' folks prefer the MDR on lobster night.

For your first time experiencing the CK, I would go ahead and make reservations for the CK with the Concierge before you board.  You can always cancel the CK reservation if you decide there's something that you prefer in the MDR.  The Concierge can handle all of those changes for you.

As @twangstersuggests, many who want to enjoy the lobster prefer the MDR lobster to that of the CK.  If you are looking for whole lobster tail, you will want to dine in the MDR on that night. The CK lobster is awful, IMO and it seems as if asking for the MDR lobster to be served in the CK may not be as easy as it once was.  This is another issue that you can discuss with the Concierge when they contact you prior to boarding. 

Enjoy your suite !!

On 9/7/2022 at 9:32 PM, asquared17 said:

congratulations!!

coastal kitchen is a treat! the service + ambience are similar to a specialty dining venue on the ship, only it will be included since you're in a suite!

• reservations are always recommended (for dinner)
    • from what i understand, pre-covid, we used to always show up around the same time (we were in a crown loft) so i think that was our unofficial "reservation" with a couple minutes buffering either way. if you choose to come outside of this time, just be advised that you may need to wait before your table is ready, depending on how busy they are, how large your party size is, etc.
  • the maitre d (or their assistant, depending on how busy they are) will greet you as you walk in and also seat you at the table for your meals 😊
  • breakfast and lunch are a set menu to order from, similar to dinner (although the dinner menu will change daily, just like the MDR) and you CAN get a made to order omelette! they are delicious 😊 
  • dress code is on par with the MDR/slightly dressier than the windjammer but nothing super fancy.
    • in the mornings, we would pair a nice full coverup over our bathing suit, more like a dress than anything and this was fine.
  • CK has great service and feels a lot like being in a napa restaurant (at least to me) 😍 in the best way! not super buttoned up/fussy, but a calm atmosphere and well staffed.
    • i know there are some that are underwhelmed by it -- and YMMV when it comes to quality of food/service, depending on capacity, the ship + sailing -- but we always try to avail ourselves of it whenever possible. more recently we have been staying in junior suites, which allows us to join suite guests for dinner only in CK -- IF there is room and we are flexible on the timing. (ie, no peak periods) it helps that our party is only 2 people, so they have been able to squeeze us in usually in the past. fingers crossed that will hold for our cruise on symphony in february next year.
    • it's worth trying out at least once for every meal just to see how you like the vibe. when we had full suite access, i think we only joined for lunch once or twice, since we were at the pool and it was just easier/faster to get a quick burger or snack from one of the more casual venues. they will usually post the menus in the app or just outside, so you can see the offerings for dinner, on the chance that you don't like anything, you can always divert to a specialty restaurant or alternate dining option.

i hope this is helpful!! one of the mods/more current cruisers can probably offer some additional "real time" updated guidance (esp surrounding reservations, etc) but hope this will at least get you started 💚

excellent take on CK! Cant agree more.  I like CK, because the service fast and the food is prepared to order... meaning HOT!   You dont always get that in the main dining room.   Enjoy!  ps, my wife and I always order one extra entree to share.  

1 hour ago, AndyPandy said:

What’s everyone’s view about reservations at breakfast or lunch? So if your in a suite can you just turn up when they are open for breakfast or lunch, or need a reservation?

No reservations needed for breakfast or lunch as long as you're in a Sky Class suite or higher. (Sea class can only get in for dinner and only with a reservation and only after Sky and Star class get in)

• 11 months later...
54 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

No. The only time they might entertain that is if you are star class. Otherwise, you are at the mercy of the CK menu.

But you can order from the MDR to your suite each night. 

This must be a YMMV situation. The amazing CK staff on Wonder in June did let us order some items from the MDR to CK.

In the past I had mixed results with ordering food from the MDR and having it served in the CK.  The one situation where they seem to be somewhat flexible is on lobster night where I have often been successful in getting a lobster tail from the MDR.  Your best chance for success here is to ask ahead of time and let them know when/what you will be asking for and they can let you know whether it’s possible or not. Best not to spring it on them with no warning.

1 minute ago, Snotarni said:

We've had great food in CK, and we've had terrible food in CK (Wonder) and cancelled our upcoming reservations...  I think it's definitely a YMMV deal.

Food will usually be that way. We ate in CK all 7 nights on Wonder in June and it ranged from good to great. Best staff ever as well.

Hope it's better for you on Symphony.

Definitely YMMV on MDR dishes in CK.  We have never had a problem, but we had also discussed it with the maitre'd ahead of time. The first time we went to cancel a reservation because one of our party members was limited by dietary restrictions and the answer was "don't cancel, we'll get you something else" the second time we asked and they just said they would take care of it.

We have also been advised on lobster night that there was an "off menu" surf and turf option to add a tail to any meal.  We did not even ask.  

13 hours ago, Crown&AnchorEsq said:

Definitely YMMV on MDR dishes in CK.  We have never had a problem, but we had also discussed it with the maitre'd ahead of time. The first time we went to cancel a reservation because one of our party members was limited by dietary restrictions and the answer was "don't cancel, we'll get you something else" the second time we asked and they just said they would take care of it.

We have also been advised on lobster night that there was an "off menu" surf and turf option to add a tail to any meal.  We did not even ask.  

Like any of the off MDR venues (ie specialty resurants; JR'S for breakfast, Pinnacle breakfast)  one of the reasons they are adamant about recording your cabin number has to do with the portion of dining allocation that then goes to that restaurant.

So if they keep you eating in the CK it increases that particular staff allocation from the pool.

Ever wonder why the same staff is in the specialty restaurants and CK even after their vacations?  Yes theystill have to make sure or wait for an opening there, but it is a sought after assignment (why? The pool allocation is better)

Belive me or don't but the same applies to cabin / stateroom attendants that cover the suites!  Especially the more upper level ones.

I believe it, they clearly want CK full.  

@WAAAYTOOO when you've had issues getting MDR dishes were they already busy/tight on reservations? It was definitely quieter for us.  We eat relatively early because of the kids so we were usually one of the first ones in and it was not exactly packed when we were leaving most nights.

58 minutes ago, Crown&AnchorEsq said:

I believe it, they clearly want CK full.  

@WAAAYTOOO when you've had issues getting MDR dishes were they already busy/tight on reservations? It was definitely quieter for us.  We eat relatively early because of the kids so we were usually one of the first ones in and it was not exactly packed when we were leaving most nights.

Hmmm... I cannot say whether they were already tight on reservations or not.  No more than usual, I would guess.  Good luck !

2 hours ago, Crown&AnchorEsq said:

It was definitely quieter for us.  We eat relatively early because of the kids so we were usually one of the first ones in and it was not exactly packed when we were leaving most nights.

This seems to be one of those things that vary greatly. We had dinner in CK at 6pm every night on Wonder in June (except we made it 7pm one night so we could recover from a long day at CocoCay where everyone ate a ton for lunch). It was a ghost town 5 of the 7 nights. Our best guess was that suite guests were doing lots of specialty dining.

I think most people will be really happy with CK, it is sort of like the (old)MDR+.  It is not quite specialty dining but its kind of like all the best dishes from MDR, prepared for a smaller crowd and with better service.  The only knock is that the menu is somewhat more limited so people with dietary restrictions can quickly run into situations where there is maybe only one or two dishes on the menu that they can eat.

58 minutes ago, Crown&AnchorEsq said:

I think most people will be really happy with CK, it is sort of like the (old)MDR+.  It is not quite specialty dining but its kind of like all the best dishes from MDR, prepared for a smaller crowd and with better service.  The only knock is that the menu is somewhat more limited so people with dietary restrictions can quickly run into situations where there is maybe only one or two dishes on the menu that they can eat.

Everyone has their opinion. I found it significantly better than the MDR (old or new) the two times I had access (especially night one filet). I agree it's somewhere between MDR and specialty though.

Also, not sure it's more limited than the MDR since it still has the old standby classic menu to go with the nightly main menu. We were also able to order dishes from the MDR on Wonder in June but I know others have been denied this request so that part is a YMMV situation.

100% agree about the service.

On our 10-day, Jan. 2023 cruise we booked a Jr. Suite on Anthem of the Seas.  On days 1 & 2 we dined in the MDR and were the only 2 people at a table for 10.  We then switched to CK. The CK is more upscale in both decor, service and menu.  We generally made reservations for about 7:00 and never had to wait more than a few minutes to be seated.  Once or twice we arrived 30+ minutes earlier than the reservation and we were easily accommodated with our regular CK waiter. We tipped both our waiter and the Maitre'd extra.  We are sailing on the Anthem again this January 2024 and will pass on the MDR in favor of CK.