Cruise Mistakes

JNS123

Agree with everything shared about packing.  DW has a hard time with this one. 🙂  

If going to Labadee, take cash for the straw market.  🏖️

If you want to dress up for formal night(s), go for it.  🤵‍♂️  Don't be afraid to wear pant outfits, golf shirts and slacks if desired.  👫

Ship excursions are okay for first time cruisers getting the lay of the land.  🛳️  Experienced cruisers often use private tour operators.  🪂

Be back on board 1 hour before sailing.  We love to watch for late comers running to get on board and have seen folks left on the dock.  🏃‍♂️🏃‍♀️  Once the gangway is removed, they will not put it back to allow stragglers to board.  😒

Relax and enjoy the experience.  😎

Started our packing to leave Liberty on Sunday...don't know if it has been mentioned but bags that can be compressed including 2 gallon zip lock bags. Has made a huge difference for us and especially with clothes arriving less wrinkled.

One of the worst things on this cruise...they didn't have the fill a bag pressing for 17 dollars...got spoiled and got caught having thrown shirts into a bag because they would press them....

Don't carry on any more than you have to. 

Our First cruise we had way to much carry on.  Rooms are not ready until usually 1:30PM ish so your 'carry on' you 'carry with you'.  We held on to bags we could have checked and had delivered and instead lugged them around till the cabins were ready.

These days we each have a back back and herself has her purse.

As stated before definitely have any prescription meds in your carry on and a change of clothes, Swim suit if you are not already wearing it,  and basic necessities. The rest? Hand it over to be brought up from check in!

13 hours ago, asquared17 said:

we like the holiday inn express on 17th just before the bridge (https://www.ihg.com/holidayinnexpress/hotels/us/en/fort-lauderdale/fllcc/hoteldetail)

but any of the hotels in this area are perfect; there's a hilton, marriott, some other major chain places too. the pricing is not as low as it is farther away from the port -- but from here you can see the ships at the bridge in the morning on a walk, which is so cool when there are multiple ships in port. there's also a starbucks and chipotle across the street (usually where we snag dinner the night before) and of course, the publix and homegoods maybe 5-10 mins away (you could uber if you had a lot to carry) too.

Thanks!

On 9/8/2022 at 7:22 AM, barjpoe said:

I've even had crew members remember me from a pervious cruise. I sometimes don't remember someone I just met yesterday.

Can't speak from personal experience of being remembered (since my cruise last month was my first), but definitely saw lots of repeat cruisers getting greeted from staff, asking about families, if they had been on other ships since last time they sailed together, etc. Really stuck out to me how well they remember stuff like that during (and after) the cruise with turnover in the thousands every so many days.

So in short, definitely get to know the staff you see repeatedly, and say hello to all of them because they're friendly and love having us on board.

21 hours ago, Tmsmith said:

Thanks!

we also just booked our stay and on the confirmation page, it says they offer free shuttle service from the airport and 15pp to go to the port.

time wise, this may or be not be a good option for you -- we still prefer to uber -- but it's nice to know that there is the possibility if needed!

On 9/10/2022 at 7:28 PM, asquared17 said:

we also just booked our stay and on the confirmation page, it says they offer free shuttle service from the airport and 15pp to go to the port.

time wise, this may or be not be a good option for you -- we still prefer to uber -- but it's nice to know that there is the possibility if needed!

We have stayed there as well but the shuttle service is not with the hotel but a third party who comes in. We have also stayed at a Holiday Inn and Suites on Fl-84, can't see the port but much nicer, which has airport shuttle and the uber to the port is reasonable and didn't take long.

7 hours ago, PhillyLady said:

Oh  c'mon, the cabins on Carnival used to have bunk beds-and they even offered shares with strangers--getting one single bed like this would be an upgrade!!

My first cruise was a Carnival...went with a group...switched rooms with someone who claimed claustrophobia and went to the bottom of the ship with bunk beds. NEVER again...at least a balcony or I don't go. LOL

On 9/7/2022 at 9:58 AM, Mike n Ky said:

Pretty much the biggest mistake most people make is over packing. We still bring more than we need but we don't have three large suitcases in our stateroom anymore. Getting tips is a great start to making fewer mistakes. Hope y'all have a great time!

I am guilty of over packing.  I did a little better this last trip but still over packed (in my defense, it was my first 12 night and first Europe cruise).