Pinnacle with minor children

Linda R

OP doesn't indicate that they are staying in a suite. If not, the grandchildren will not officially have access to any of the suite amenities that are also granted for Pinnacle status.

Also - Pinnacle is the only status that does not transfer based on relationship so even if the grandkids are linked to the grandparents they would not be considered Pinnacle.

6 hours ago, Linda R said:

We are taking our minor grandchildren on a cruise next year, in same cabin.  Can they join us in CK, suite sun deck, etc?

That will be at the discretion of the LA, CK manager and SL Concierge on board.  Technically the answer is no since CAS benefits never convey to cabin mates, they apply to the individual that has the status.  However if you talk with the LA and SL Concierge they might allow it.  Suite Sun Deck is less likely to be challenged unless they are misbehaving.  

In 2022 there are examples of an 8 month old being Pinnacle on their first cruise although it wouldn't apply in the case of grandparents to grandchildren unless so implemented by the LA on board.  

YMMV.

3 hours ago, twangster said:

That will be at the discretion of the LA, CK manager and SL Concierge on board.  Technically the answer is no since CAS benefits never convey to cabin mates, they apply to the individual that has the status.  However if you talk with the LA and SL Concierge they might allow it.  Suite Sun Deck is less likely to be challenged unless they are misbehaving.  

In 2022 there are examples of an 8 month old being Pinnacle on their first cruise although it wouldn't apply in the case of grandparents to grandchildren unless so implemented by the LA on board.  

YMMV.

I'm curious about the 8 month old Pinnacle...  I'm assuming people are getting confused with the child travelling with parents or grandparents that had the status (which means the child was not actually Pinnacle themselves).

Mathematically, it wouldn't be possible. You have to be at least 6 months old to sail. Assuming the child started on a cruise the day they turned 6 months and sailed in a suite for 2 solid months (to get to 8 months old), and they had the double points promotion from booking during the Covid period - that still leaves them far short of the amount of points needed to get to 700. At most, they would have less than 250 points. 

1 hour ago, I_Love_RCI said:

I'm curious about the 8 month old Pinnacle...  I'm assuming people are getting confused with the child travelling with parents or grandparents that had the status (which means the child was not actually Pinnacle themselves).

Mathematically, it wouldn't be possible. You have to be at least 6 months old to sail. Assuming the child started on a cruise the day they turned 6 months and sailed in a suite for 2 solid months (to get to 8 months old), and they had the double points promotion from booking during the Covid period - that still leaves them far short of the amount of points needed to get to 700. At most, they would have less than 250 points. 

Up to this point the policy has read that only a significant other in a relationship is conveyed Pinnacle status.  Dependent children can not be conveyed Pinnacle status, only up through D+ are dependent children matched.  

In the case of the baby the parents are Pinnacle.  The LA decided to update the baby status to Pinnacle and went so far as to print out a new Seapass card for the baby that was a Pinnacle card. 

On another ship I was talking to the LA  who showed me the Pinnacle Youth letter with on board offers.  I expressed my surprise there would be many Pinnacle Youth as I assumed they could only get there by earning 700 on their own merit.  He told me there was a recent change that allowed dependent youth to be matched to Pinnacle.  

However the T&Cs on the CAS benefits page still displays the previous policy where dependent youth can only match up through D+.

So it's one of those Royalisms and inconsistency we all have experienced with Royal.   

1 hour ago, twangster said:

Up to this point the policy has read that only a significant other in a relationship is conveyed Pinnacle status.  Dependent children can not be conveyed Pinnacle status, only up through D+ are dependent children matched.  

In the case of the baby the parents are Pinnacle.  The LA decided to update the baby status to Pinnacle and went so far as to print out a new Seapass card for the baby that was a Pinnacle card. 

On another ship I was talking to the LA  who showed me the Pinnacle Youth letter with on board offers.  I expressed my surprise there would be many Pinnacle Youth as I assumed they could only get there by earning 700 on their own merit.  He told me there was a recent change that allowed dependent youth to be matched to Pinnacle.  

However the T&Cs on the CAS benefits page still displays the previous policy where dependent youth can only match up through D+.

So it's one of those Royalisms and inconsistency we all have experienced with Royal.   

That verifies what I thought, the baby was not actually Pinnacle, just had a seapass card given to him with it listed on there. I also agree that Royal is not always consistent with things. 

I just checked our status with C&A - while we are Pinnacle, our son shows as D+. The interesting part is that his points show the same as ours online and in the app but lists him as D+. I had to call to verify the exact amount of points he has on his own. 

The other thing to remember, and to your points - C&A benefits are different for adults than minors, thus even if a minor is Pinnacle, I'm not sure what real world benefit they would gain from it. As an adult, you get basically many of the suite amenities without having to have a suite, but minors do not get all of those same benefits. 

4 hours ago, I_Love_RCI said:

That verifies what I thought, the baby was not actually Pinnacle, just had a seapass card given to him with it listed on there. I also agree that Royal is not always consistent with things. 

I just checked our status with C&A - while we are Pinnacle, our son shows as D+. The interesting part is that his points show the same as ours online and in the app but lists him as D+. I had to call to verify the exact amount of points he has on his own. 

The other thing to remember, and to your points - C&A benefits are different for adults than minors, thus even if a minor is Pinnacle, I'm not sure what real world benefit they would gain from it. As an adult, you get basically many of the suite amenities without having to have a suite, but minors do not get all of those same benefits. 

Youth CAS get Voom discounts and drink vouchers (non-alcoholic) based on their level (i.e. D+ gets 5 drinks vouchers).

It's not clear how far that LA went and with the second LA telling me the programs rules have changed I think we need for more feedback from guests before we can say with certainty if they match dependent children to Pinnacle now.  

Thanks every one for  all the information.   We will not be staying in a suite, just connecting OV Balconies.  One adult registered to each cabin.  I was just wanting them to be able to join us with some meals in CK.  So, will see what they say when we go.   Not at all caring about the status the grandkids will get as they have never cruised and may never go again.  Unless of course, they decide to as adults.   It will be their only real vacation they have ever taken and we are super excited.  The 3 kids behave very well and would not cause an issue anywhere.

Whatever happens, it will be a great trip and we all will have special memories.

5 hours ago, Linda R said:

Thanks every one for  all the information.   We will not be staying in a suite, just connecting OV Balconies.  One adult registered to each cabin.  I was just wanting them to be able to join us with some meals in CK.  So, will see what they say when we go.   Not at all caring about the status the grandkids will get as they have never cruised and may never go again.  Unless of course, they decide to as adults.   It will be their only real vacation they have ever taken and we are super excited.  The 3 kids behave very well and would not cause an issue anywhere.

Whatever happens, it will be a great trip and we all will have special memories.

Have a great cruise and please come back and tell us the results.