Anthem of the Seas

Got off Anthem on Aug 28 - we didn't have any issues. Sailing went over 3,700 nautical miles. 

The one thing to always remember with any cruise is that the itinerary and ports of call can be subject to change (and they don't have to give advance  notice). It's more a customer relations service that they try to forewarn passengers if they know of changes in advance. 

13 hours ago, AandCCruising said:

Has anyone heard of or experienced problems as a result of itinerary changes this month, possibly due to engine maintenance or repairs?  If so, I’d be interested to what you think of this?

Yes. I was informed back in June that our time in most of the ports on my 12-night sailing on the 23rd would be reduced precisely for this reason. It definitely happened on the identical itinerary on the June 5th sailing. I haven't heard anyone comment if the also identical September 11th sailing has been affected as well.

Since this is an ongoing situation I am not entirely convinced by the explanation and am more inclined to think it may be a fuel-saving measure but it is what it is. At least we have not lost any of our ports.

Thanks for the information- very interesting that you were notified in June as we weren’t notified until near the end of August.

Thanks too for telling us that other cruises on the same ship have been impacted too.  We saw on the blog that the sister ship, Quantum of the Seas suffered similar issues in July and August, but here Passengers have been offered compensation by the way of on board credit (that would be refunded if not used) for what seems to us to be a lesser change to itinerary but this has not been offered to us.  We are asking why not, especially given the late notification 

6 hours ago, AandCCruising said:

Thanks for the information- very interesting that you were notified in June as we weren’t notified until near the end of August.

Thanks too for telling us that other cruises on the same ship have been impacted too.  We saw on the blog that the sister ship, Quantum of the Seas suffered similar issues in July and August, but here Passengers have been offered compensation by the way of on board credit (that would be refunded if not used) for what seems to us to be a lesser change to itinerary but this has not been offered to us.  We are asking why not, especially given the late notification 

Essentially, the verbiage in the contract means that the cruise line is entitled to make any changes to the itinerary that it deems appropriate and is not obliged to pay any compensation at all. Often they do, as a goodwill gesture to placate potentially upset guests, but often they don't.

I don't feel we're being hugely inconvenienced because we're not actually losing any of our ports, although I'm a bit bummed about Madeira as I have friends who live there and was planning on spending the whole day with them. That said, I've been to most of the these ports before and living in Europe means they're in easy reach for me. I think I'd probably be much more upset if I were coming across the Atlantic.

I also read about the issues with Quantum but I felt they were far more inconvenienced as they lost what was effectively the main attraction of the entire cruise (at least on the blog I read, might not have been the same one you did).

On 9/7/2022 at 9:47 AM, AandCCruising said:

Why not is because we are not missing any ports, and Madeira being the shortest, and our stay is still 7 hours in port. I'm on the 23rd sailing as well, disappointed but not enough that I would change sailing or expect compensation.