Disembarkation on a Sunday in Cape Liberty

Brendon Dyer

Greetings, 

We are heading out on our cruise in a little under 3 weeks and am growing concerned about our return flight we booked very early on in the booking process. I originally saw the ship was to arrive at 6:30 am on Sunday in Cape Liberty and therefore booked a flight out of Newark for 9:55am. However, I am now reading that does not necessarily mean we can disembark at 6:30am. Unfortunately the only other return flight is early evening, so we either rush to the airport or find something to do whilst carrying luggage all day. Generally by what time does the disembarkation begin and is a 9:55am flight cutting it too close for comfort? Google maps is suggesting 20 minute taxi from terminal to Newark. Thanks in advance!

We just disembarked on August 27, 2022 from the Adventure of the Seas.  We were in a Suite and had priority disembarkation. We were off the ship, claimed our luggage, caught a taxi and checked in at Delta at EWR by 9:15 A.M.  We weren't flying until later in the afternoon so we jumped the air train to NJ Transportation and went to visit the 9-11 Memorial in New Your.  I did notice the TSA was 30-35 minutes when we went through.  Thank heavens Pre-Check was a walk through.

Bill

TSA at EWR was in our case a mess. Even with TSA Pre, the family line was dooming for us (kids do not have TSA Pre). Waited too long for a very short line.

But anyway - you should be able to do it - fingers crossed.

Be sure to contact guest services at the cruise beginning to opt in for earliest departure group!

Here's the thing.. IF everything works perfectly, yes, you SHOULD make it. If, however, the ship is delayed getting into the port, if disembarkation is delayed, if there's an accident, check in/security lines are LONG (especially if you don't have TSA Pre Check or Clear) - you stand a chance of missing the flight. Someone above mentioned if you miss the flight, they could rebook you - but that only works if there is space on that later flight. Your flight could also be oversold and if you're not at the gate 15 minutes prior to departure, you could lose your seats to people on standby. Lots of variables here. I personally wouldn't book a flight before 11am (and would lean closer to noon) 

If you're taking a direct flight, look at a connecting flight. While inconvenient, that gives you (or should give you) more options. 

Although I live much further south, there's always traffic in Jersey, especially on the Turnpike. Luckily you will be traveling south, it's football season and that means either the Jets or Giants are probably in town playing that Sunday but that will be northbound. 

Personally that's a little too close for me, I'd rather take a later flight and not worry.

1 hour ago, SuzanneM said:

Definitely ask guest services to put you the earliest departure group. They're pretty good about helping with that. 

Departure groups only matter if you have Royal take your bags off the ship.  If you carry your own luggage, you can leave whenever you want and your group doesn't matter.

Do self-disembark and get to the exit very early, like 30 mins before the scheduled open time. Maybe even earlier. Wait in line.  

Last time I was on Oasis, I got up early thinking i'll hang out in the promenade with my luggage and the line was already forming. 

Newark is close, so hopefully you can get out, past customs and on way to airport quick.  I don't see you having any "lay around" time. 

I always get to an airport at least 2 hours before a flight. You just never know. 

Good luck!