Singles/Solo events

Adriana

Hi again (really am sorry for all the questions)! I have wondered about the Singles/Solo meet ups that are offered on board. Although I typically travel solo, I have not attended one. Is it a casual meet up just to meet new people/friends who may also be sailing solo? Like not a, “hey, I am looking to hook up,” thing? I have this vision in my mind of a singles scene of people scooping out each other, prey and hunters! 🤣 A casual setting to meet friends would be neat. 

Royal makes a point of not "hosting" any special interest groups lest one gets offended if they perceive their special interest didn't get something another group did.  

They post a time, usually at a bar, for the single events.  However there is no one there that organizes singles or has a seating area dedicated to just that group.  IME it's up to each individual to break the ice and introduce themselves.

Sometimes you can go and you would not even know it's a meeting point for singles because their could be other couples there by chance.

I recommend you check the Roll Call pages here to find people on your sailing or to go to Facebook and look to see if there is a FB group for your sailing.  If there is not already a meet and greet set up in the group consider running one.  You simply pick a location on the ship to have people meet. ex. On Oasis. Meet at 3pm at the Lime and coconut Deck 16 port side.  I'll have name tags.  Let's get to know each other.  This can be for solos only, if you declare that, or for all!  You could explain you are a solo looking to meet other travelers.  I went to one last Sept and met a great group of people, we went tot he dining room and got a table for dinner. We met at dinner and for trivia int he AM.  I have gone to others and it was a bust-the organizer did not showup.  At another one they gave out leis....so we all knew who was in the FB group.  A lot of times the FB group  runs a slot pull so you can meet people there as well.  

5 hours ago, ellcee said:

The one time I went to a solo trivia event it wasn’t clearly marked and I wound up doing trivia by myself with a bunch of couples. I’m sure other people have better experiences but mine was a dud. 🤷🏻‍♀️

ellcee, I don't have luck every time.  I have found that if I situate myself near a group or couple, and strike up a conversation, they will normally ask me to join them in trivia. Or even to walk up to a table that has empty seats and ask if they could use an extra for trivia.  Keep in mind that I am an introvert, so these are tasks I take on to get myself out of my shell and to be more social.  Keep at it... you'll figure out what works for you.

5 hours ago, Adriana said:

@Pattycruise, thanks! I did a post on the Roll Call here, but no replies. If people were going, I would def do a little meet and greet.

@ellcee, thank you! Ha, yup, that is basically what happens to me at most of the events. I just go and enjoy the time there. 

The roll calss here are not very active.
If you are on Facebook I recommend you do a search for your sailing  Ship name, date of sailing , and you may find a group for your sailing

Absolutely check the Facebook group for your sailing and then make sure you look for events.  There is usually a slot pull event and a bar crawl event too (sometimes they even have t-shirts you can order from Etsy with all the bar names on them).  Sometimes there is a sail-away meet-up or a Schooner Bar meet on the 1st sea day to get to meet the people you interacted with online (if you'd like to do that).