Motion sickness

Adriana

Good morning! What are some of your tried and true (or trued and failed) tips for motion sickness? I can get sick on a dock!  I handle the bigger ships okay, but on rough sea/weather days, I can def feel the movement and not feel awesome. I am considering a cruise on Enchantment, but may skip if you can feel the movement too much.  (Thoughts?)

My experiences to share: Have done the prescription behind the ear patch and I think it made me more dizzy that the ship. Tried relaxing in Solarium, but the heat got to me and made me more nauseous. The best thing was to lay down for a while in cabin w AC on and sip a Diet Coke. Also, sitting outside in shade with breeze and sipping Diet Coke. 

I did the scopolamine patch for the first 3 days of my cruise and never felt dizzy or seasick.  Even after removing it and not replacing it I still never got seasick.  Some people say Ginger hard candy will help; others say to eat a green apple because the pectin helps settle your stomach.  I've seen on some of the cruise vlogs that Bonine works well, but it can make you sleepy.

I do not personally get seasick but some who do recommend ginger candies (the bars serve ginger beer as well, which covers the carbonation); fresh air on deck including looking at the horizon (or another focus line that does not move); green apples like granny smith (Windjammer has these available); and the behind-the-ear patches.  Best of luck and a smooth cruise!

18 hours ago, Adriana said:

Also, has anyone used the sea sickness bands? I know I used it, but for the life of me cannot remember the outcome. 

I have not tried it yet for sea sickness, but I recently bought and used a Relief Band for chemo nausea. It was amazing. Its effectiveness definitely justified the cost for me. I plan on taking it with me in November on our Adventure cruise and we bought one for DW since it worked so well for me. 

My mom gets motion sickness in a car if she's not the one driving and she uses the non-drowsy Dramamine. It's been her go to for years now - on planes, trains and ships. And because it's 24 hours, if we're in a rush one morning and she's forgotten to take it, there is still some in her system until the next dose kicks in.

DW uses the Reliefband Classic ($159) which was originally designed for pilots.   It is basically a watch size tens device.  The pulses can be set based on intensity desired.

If you go to their website today, reliefband.com, you will see that this model is listed as Sold Out, but their customer service advised that this is temporary and they will be back in stock in the next couple of weeks.  DW has been using these devices for years and swears by them (actually has two.).  The company has several different styles and price ranges.

image.thumb.jpeg.f381521b53b39ba9b2a3b56fa2495564.jpeg

So many good suggestions for things to use that will help! Whichever you choose, my advice would is to be proactive and start early, not wait until you're  already sick.

(Don't confuse this with medical advice, just a mother x5 and grandmother x10! Hopefully I've learned a little something...😉)

I have done scopalomine, but it messed with my vision and it was miserable when I took it off. I ended up cutting it in half and half and half over a period of a few days to wean off of it when I got back. I now use the herbal sea sick patches on Amazon, they work well. You can feel the movement on smaller ships, unfortunately.

I use the scopolamine patch behind the ears.  However, I break the rules by cutting 1/4 off.  I just make sure I wash my hands really well after handling the patch - to make sure i don't get any medication in my eyes.  I have never had a problem with the patch and drinking but I am a light drinker.  I have tried the wrist bands - they don't do anything for me.  For 1 day trips (like plane rides), I use either bonine or dramamine - and plan on taking a 1 hour nap after taking them. 

One more piece of advice, start whatever you are taking prior to boarding the ship.  Because once you start feeling seasick, it may be too late. 

Oh my gosh, thank you all sooo much! These are some great tips! I plan on trying some and hope it helps. I usually am okay, but when it hits, it hits! Plus, the possibility of Enchantment makes me really want to find a reliable solution. I def will be getting ginger, having apples, maybe the over the counter pills as back up and look into the bands. Thank you, thank you! And, @kadmgs, I pray all goes well with your treatments. 

11 hours ago, Thorntor said:

DW uses the Reliefband Classic ($159) <skipped>

DW has been using these devices for years and swears by them (actually has two.).  The company has several different styles and price ranges.

image.thumb.jpeg.f381521b53b39ba9b2a3b56fa2495564.jpeg

In our family we have reliefband classic, as well as emeterm band - both work great, emeterm looks better than reliefband classic, and is not as expensive as the newer reliefbands.

In fact, used emeterm today to wipe out nausea caused by meds I'm on.  Daughter always wears reliefband (emeterm is too large for her) in the backseat of the car.

15 hours ago, Adriana said:

Oh my gosh, thank you all sooo much! These are some great tips! I plan on trying some and hope it helps. I usually am okay, but when it hits, it hits! Plus, the possibility of Enchantment makes me really want to find a reliable solution. I def will be getting ginger, having apples, maybe the over the counter pills as back up and look into the bands. Thank you, thank you! And, @kadmgs, I pray all goes well with your treatments. 

Thanks! I really appreciate it. 

17 hours ago, steverk said:

Mythbusters tested this in an episode.  They had great results with ginger tablets. 

Was this the one where the one guy barfed like almost right off the bat in the slowly spinning chair while moving his head in certain directions? If so, I laughed HARD!

On 9/6/2022 at 6:35 PM, steverk said:

Mythbusters tested this in an episode.  They had great results with ginger tablets. 

^^^This^^^   You can buy "Ginger Chews" on Amazon or at the drug store.  I also saw them at Costco.  Dramamine even sells a version of them. 

I once read a story about a guy who was working on a fishing trawler in the north Pacific.  He said that eating ginger was the go-to cure for even the most seasoned sailor when the seas got really bad.

On 9/8/2022 at 8:25 AM, FSUFAN said:

^^^This^^^   You can buy "Ginger Chews" on Amazon or at the drug store.  I also saw them at Costco.  Dramamine even sells a version of them. 

I once read a story about a guy who was working on a fishing trawler in the north Pacific.  He said that eating ginger was the go-to cure for even the most seasoned sailor when the seas got really bad.

This is great advice but how should it be taken? As needed when you start to feel motion sickness? Or be popping them all day long to prevent? Obviously not possible while sleeping.

On 9/6/2022 at 9:27 AM, kadmgs said:

I have not tried it yet for sea sickness, but I recently bought and used a Relief Band for chemo nausea. It was amazing. Its effectiveness definitely justified the cost for me. I plan on taking it with me in November on our Adventure cruise and we bought one for DW since it worked so well for me. 

Mr. SpeedNoodles uses this on our cruises.  It works well (Bonine and Dramamine just put him to sleep).  

Just came off of Rhapsody and unfortunately spent some time in the medical clinic. I noticed that at the front of the clinic, before you get to the nurses, there's a box that has little packets of motion sickness pills you could just take for free. They dissolve in your mouth. I took a little packet just in case. 

Living on the West Coast, and fishing my whole life in the very rough Pacific Ocean, I know something about seasickness.  I know there is not one cure that works for everybody, so a person has to try them all.

I also know, every time you take a seasick remedy, or put on a patch, or wear a band, you're reminding yourself about being seasick, and the mind takes over.  The more you are reminded, the better chance you'll be sick.

So for me, and only for me, as I'm not a TV Doctor,  I no longer take any medication or use any device to prevent being seasick.  If I feel it coming on, I get a sandwich.  And that cures me. 

Just got off of Adventure where we had some rough waters in the northeast due to Fiona.  I tend to get motion sickness but it has gotten better this past year with my numerous cruises. With that said it’s not gone.

I did take a Bonine on what was a few hours before “the fun” was slated to begin.  I followed up with a 1/2 dose about 6 hours later (it is not recommended on the box but I do consider myself larger than most-I am not a 5’ 120 lb woman so what’s good for them I feel I might need a tad more for me-just an opinion) I also added ginger chews-they were Dramamine brand-AND a green apple , all staggered in over the day.  This was the first time I’ve ever tolerated that type of rocking.  I even made it to, and through, dinner.  I did avoid the very front of the ship, I didn’t want to test my luck.

I shared the green apple remedy with a table mate at dinner and we had the wiser bring out a few -some sliced for then, some whole gif later.  The table mate felt better by the end of the meal.  I went to Next cruise after dinner and the staff member was green and admitted she might not make it through the session, she said it was the worst rocking snd she’d been sailing with Royal for 12 years  I gave her a ginger chew and my green apple.  She ate the chew immediately, made it through the session and went to the back to eat the apple.  I brought her 2 more right after that. 
to the person who said it’s in our head.  Perhaps that works for you.  I’ve happily gotten on roller coasters with my kids only to turn green during and have an unsettled very sick feeling after.  It’s real for me.  Though knowing how ginger works maybe I’ll dare to try again.  You also haven’t had my husband drive you….it’s real, his sister says so too! So real that I insist on driving. (I do not get sick with other drivers) perhaps I’ll try the ginger when he drives again, 

I really feel bad for two kinds of people, white people that get sunburned and anyone that deals with motion sickness. Neither has ever been an issue for me and as for seasickness, I have been on 50 footers deep sea fishing in rough seas, talk about a roller coaster. It makes me wonder why some do and others don't.

FWIW, I have known those that suffer and have used the ginger tabs and chews with success. My wife takes the ginger when she gets an upset stomach. One woman we know has a horrible time with seasickness and she swears by Blackmores Travel Calm Ginger Tabs