Disembarkation Day - New York Ideas?

djandyb

We are disembarking on a Sunday in New York and we fly back at 18.00 to the UK.  I assume we will be kicked off the ship by 9.30am at the very latest which means we have a bit of time to kill in New York before heading to the airport (probably taxi around 14.30/15.00).

Any ideas on what to do for a few hours?  Trying to find somewhere to store our luggage, thinking of getting an Uber to Brooklyn (flying from JFK) and spending a few hours/lunch around there...

Any ideas?

3 hours ago, djandyb said:

We are disembarking on a Sunday in New York and we fly back at 18.00 to the UK.  I assume we will be kicked off the ship by 9.30am at the very latest which means we have a bit of time to kill in New York before heading to the airport (probably taxi around 14.30/15.00).

Any ideas on what to do for a few hours?  Trying to find somewhere to store our luggage, thinking of getting an Uber to Brooklyn (flying from JFK) and spending a few hours/lunch around there...

Any ideas?

It might make sense to get to the airport, check your bags and then uber into Brooklyn and back.  Sunday is a good day for traffic, but there can always be major delays in the NYC area at any time of any day or night.  Make sure you leave plenty of time to get back.

If it helps, I live 25 miles from the airport which I've been able to get there in about a half an hour. It's also taken over an hour to get there.

Is there something in particular you'd like to see in Brooklyn? Morning Sunday traffic is minimum so you'd have a fairly easy time getting there. Also, if there is a time of year you plan on going see what events are going on at the same time. You'd want to avoid marathon days but there are a bunch of festivals you may be able to see. 

Best bet is figure out what time is optimal to arrive at the airport, figure out where in Brooklyn you'd like to go, the time of year - and then go from there.

36 minutes ago, ellcee said:

If it helps, I live 25 miles from the airport which I've been able to get there in about a half an hour. It's also taken over an hour to get there.

Is there something in particular you'd like to see in Brooklyn? Morning Sunday traffic is minimum so you'd have a fairly easy time getting there. Also, if there is a time of year you plan on going see what events are going on at the same time. You'd want to avoid marathon days but there are a bunch of festivals you may be able to see. 

Best bet is figure out what time is optimal to arrive at the airport, figure out where in Brooklyn you'd like to go, the time of year - and then go from there.

Thanks for this!  Will be getting off the boat on the 2nd October.  No idea really where to head; I think we are going to go straight to JFK and either check in our bags or stick them in storage there for a few hours.  Thinking might just head to a local mall or something for something to eat.

Thinking logic is; get off boat around 9ish (customs etc) then maybe an Uber at 9.30am/10am then an hour to get to the airport?  Add 30/60 minutes to get bags sorted etc then we are around 12pm.  Will have 3 hours to get somewhere and back; not a huge amount of time to do anything far really?

21 minutes ago, djandyb said:

Thanks for this!  Will be getting off the boat on the 2nd October.  No idea really where to head; I think we are going to go straight to JFK and either check in our bags or stick them in storage there for a few hours.  Thinking might just head to a local mall or something for something to eat.

Thinking logic is; get off boat around 9ish (customs etc) then maybe an Uber at 9.30am/10am then an hour to get to the airport?  Add 30/60 minutes to get bags sorted etc then we are around 12pm.  Will have 3 hours to get somewhere and back; not a huge amount of time to do anything far really?

Oasis Sept 25-Oct 2? Me too. 

Hoping someone here could give you ideas of what to do. Because I live/work around here I'm the worst at telling people what they should visit. I go into Manhattan for work and go right back home and only do touristy things when someone from out of town comes in. 

I'll tell you that going back and forth from JFK is a pain in the butt so you may want to figure out how to carry your stuff or just another plan. 

Here's an idea though that isn't far from the airport. https://www.twahotel.com/

12 minutes ago, Someguy said:

I wouldn’t go back in town.  Too dangerous with only three hours or so.  

instead, check out the TWA hotel on site.  It’s a very unique venue and has a cocktail lounge inside an old constellation aircraft and plenty of other things to do for a few hours.

I've literally just been looking at that by utter coincidence; definitely thinking about that now.  Might just go there; hit the cocktails and some lunch then head over, check in then airline lounge.

I imagine if were to leave the boat at 9am; once Customs etc is done, baggage found and got an UBER across to JFK, it's likely to be nearer 12 anyway?  I have no concept of how long it will all take.

If heading home same day then Newark Airport is the best option as its near port and you can head to Jersey Gardens Mall to waste a few hours and the last of your $$$

Since your already booked thats not an option for you and as has been mentioned getting across NYC can be a nightmare! 

I would stay on ship as long as possible then head across city be it by Uber or wasting more time by taking subway into Manhatten then out to JFK. You can take a shuttle bus from Grand Central to JFK, think it was about $18 pp or there about.