Another "included" perk being removed......

The way I hear people complaining about room service trays cluttering the hallways, I got the impression it was a fairly commonly utilized service.

Our last holiday cruise, lots of families...lots of orders, lots of trays, all day.  I agree with the poster who talked about the thousands of meals they have to put together daily -- running 1 or 2 item orders all over the ship is cumbersome and probably not very cost effective. 

I also plan to "get my money's worth" when we order room service, but it will still only be 2-3 times over the entire cruise that we will use it.  And I imagine it will be the same for most people -- they may have a few "big" orders, but won't order something every day like before.

I understand people being irritated though...the roll-out was just so sloppy, and it is harder on those will mobility issues.

Is it a flat fee and one can order all they want or is it a charge for each premium selection?

A single, flat fee, so it's not that expensive if you're ordering for two or more people. However, it now makes for an expensive mid afternoon snack after a long day ashore.

I hope they extend the WJ hours to compensate for this new charge. Many on other ships are open from 6 am until 11 pm with no closing times between those hours.

I've always believed that the WJ hours were insufficient.  I doubt they will make a change b/c of this new RS policy but I can think of a half dozen other reasons why they should have SOME portion of the WJ open at all times.

We agree! :)

On the last few ships I've been on, the WJ didn't open for dinner until 6:30, which is a little bit late if you're dealing with kids who want to go to AO at 7 when they open.  It's even harder if the parents want to squeeze in a dinner in the MDR and a show afterwards.  I'm also noticing as I research other cruises, that it's not uncommon for other lines to keep their buffets open longer.  For example, I remember Holland America having their buffet along with a cooked-to-order pasta station open until 11 p.m.  On Princess, their buffets are open from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m. without any breaks in service.  And on MSC, the buffet is open 23 hours per day.

Well, this topic really got the juices flowing, so to speak.  I guess what it boils down to, like so many other things, is personal choice. If you like room service, then order it. If you don't, then don't. If you don't mind paying for it, then do. And if you do mind paying for it, then don't. Be mad, don't be mad. The choice is yours. You have the right to feel anyway you want about this and you are not wrong. This is just one of the many choices you'll have while on a RCCL cruise. Happy cruising all!

Preach.

From what I've read, at least about hot breakfast, people aren't really missing much. I think at least keeping the complimentary continental breakfast is a good move. In the end, if somebody really wants room service they will pay for it. I think a lot of people just order it for the novelty of it and maybe that staff will be better used elsewhere?

glad some is still free - plus tip - we always order coffee & juice & cereal & rolls & fruit - to enjoy on the balcony & not rush getting dressed - later we sometimes stop & grab something else if we're planning a late lunch ... God forbid we starve, huh? ... 

Honestly it doesn't bother me at all, I rarely use Room Service and I do feel that it is a service that there should be a charge for. Maybe $7.95 is a bit high but acceptable. I look at it this way, my cruises today are as inexpensive as my very first one on the Sovereign, and the ships are far superior today. So I will give up totally free Room Service as well as the shoe shine, shower caps, pillow mints, etc that have gone away if I can cruise at 1994 prices.............

Honestly it doesn't bother me at all, I rarely use Room Service and I do feel that it is a service that there should be a charge for. Maybe $7.95 is a bit high but acceptable. I look at it this way, my cruises today are as inexpensive as my very first one on the Sovereign, and the ships are far superior today. So I will give up totally free Room Service as well as the shoe shine, shower caps, pillow mints, etc that have gone away if I can cruise at 1994 prices.............

indeed - & as to the Sovereign - we were on her final sailing with RCL - they did some nice farewell parties on that sailing;  wonder if she is still afloat & will be sent back like Empress was - if Cuba takes off someday when life for the masses improves there - someday - but don't hold your breath ... 

A single, flat fee, so it's not that expensive if you're ordering for two or more people. However, it now makes for an expensive mid afternoon snack after a long day ashore.

I hope they extend the WJ hours to compensate for this new charge. Many on other ships are open from 6 am until 11 pm with no closing times between those hours.

This makes sense, even with more limited offerings. I don't think they need to run a full menu after regular hours, just give people an alternative to just sandwiches. Although there are those people who feel like not offering a full menu after a certain hour would be another included perk being removed. But as always, you are not going to please everyone.

I'm going in June.  I may pack a few tupperwares to bring some snacks from the WJ and keep them in the fridge for after hours. (some fruit, vegetables and tub of dressing for dipping, a sandwich, or some cold fried chicken, etc.)  Stuff that doesn't have to be heated.  Are there microwaves in the rooms?  

I'm going in June.  I may pack a few tupperwares to bring some snacks from the WJ and keep them in the fridge for after hours. (some fruit, vegetables and tub of dressing for dipping, a sandwich, or some cold fried chicken, etc.)  Stuff that doesn't have to be heated.  Are there microwaves in the rooms?  

I heard about a senior citizen who insisted that the microwave in his room did not work. When the maintenance man showed up, he pointed out that the "microwave" was actually the safe. So, no, there are no microwaves.

I heard about a senior citizen who insisted that the microwave in his room did not work. When the maintenance man showed up, he pointed out that the "microwave" was actually the safe. So, no, there are no microwaves.

Haha! Gotta love seniors! We will all get there some day, God willing.

So full charge for room service for anything but breakfast.

And doubling the cost of it as well.

Anyone else hear about this and happy about it?!....

Is it just me or is Royal really going down a path to differentiate  themselves from the other cruise lines....for what I would consider all the wrong reasons??!

Hey monctonguy!

Just a shout out to you for starting this thread!

It really continues to have people really thinking and expressing their thoughts and opinions.

Hey monctonguy!

Just a shout out to you for starting this thread!

It really continues to have people really thinking and expressing their thoughts and opinions.

I'm still really annoyed by this change, just in case my 15 other posts on the topic haven't made that clear. ;)

I'll be sure to mention DocLC in mine, just in case he forgets!

LOL. By the time I take my next cruise, I'll probably have come to terms with the charge. I'm also hopefully optimistic that the change will actually result in something positive--better food, quality, and service.

LOL. By the time I take my next cruise, I'll probably have come to terms with the charge. I'm also hopefully optimistic that the change will actually result in something positive--better food, quality, and service.

If any of the above items mentioned, improve, then it will be worth the $7.95 charge, maybe. I'm going to give room service a try in Oct. I won't know if it's better than before, never having cruised before, but I will give my honest opinion about quality of food and service.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/23/2017 at 10:33 AM, WAAAYTOOO said:

I've always believed that the WJ hours were insufficient.  I doubt they will make a change b/c of this new RS policy but I can think of a half dozen other reasons why they should have SOME portion of the WJ open at all times.

Yes.  Reduced service hours - some breads, sandwich meats, soup, salad fixins, fruit and simple desserts (vanilla ice cream, chocolate and yellow sheet cakes).  Or just - 24 Hour Pizza Bar - everyone likes pizza!

Otherwise, you run into the other cost effectiveness dilemma - rather than why run a few items all over the ship?... why keep a whole kitchen open for a few late diners?

17 hours ago, BillHoo said:

Yes.  Reduced service hours - some breads, sandwich meats, soup, salad fixins, fruit and simple desserts (vanilla ice cream, chocolate and yellow sheet cakes).  Or just - 24 Hour Pizza Bar - everyone likes pizza!

Otherwise, you run into the other cost effectiveness dilemma - rather than why run a few items all over the ship?... why keep a whole kitchen open for a few late diners?

I agree. A small menu served after hours would please most people I would think. I think the items you mentioned above, maybe with the addition of burgers and hotdogs, would be easy and cost effective. Food and labor cost would both be low.

I do think Royal needs to offer a bit more than pizza and hot dogs late to stay competitive. NCL has a 24 restaurant with pub style food, MSC Kris their buffet open 23 his per day, and both HAL and Princess keep their buffets open to at least 11 pm on most ships. 

I'd recommend putting comments regarding late night food options on the post cruise survey if this is important to you. Royal is good about changing course if customers complain. It's also possible we're in the minority and that most people don't care. 

On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 10:43 PM, DocLC said:

I do think Royal needs to offer a bit more than pizza and hot dogs late to stay competitive. NCL has a 24 restaurant with pub style food, MSC Kris their buffet open 23 his per day, and both HAL and Princess keep their buffets open to at least 11 pm on most ships. 

I'd recommend putting comments regarding late night food options on the post cruise survey if this is important to you. Royal is good about changing course if customers complain. It's also possible we're in the minority and that most people don't care. 

Any type of quick made to order food would be good as an addition. There would be little waste as it was cooked to order, without leftovers. People would just have to wait for certain items, but would be worth it, in my opinion, as it would be hot and fresh. It seems like RC is getting more or at least staying more competitive, with their dining choices like, specialty dining, but falling a little short in their offerings when it comes to late night choices and buffet hours. 

• 1 month later...

It seems many in the RCI management have experience working in the airline business and it shows.  Remember though, people must fly for business or to go a great distance in a limited time frame, however no one has to cruise.  Keep reducing the experience and people will find other ways to spend their leisure time and money.  Remember when you looked forward to flying?  You may soon have that same memory of cruising on RCI as you spend your vacation elsewhere.

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 9:39 PM, chrisby18951 said:

Who is cruising at 1994 prices?  We started cruising in 2002 and had a balcony cabin on Explorer of the Seas for 7 nights for less than $1,300.  In fact I believe we spent less than $1,800 for the entire trip to include staying in the Doubletree on Miami Beach the night before the cruise.  Can't do that now. 

On 7/5/2017 at 11:55 AM, Candocruises said:

Who is cruising at 1994 prices?  We started cruising in 2002 and had a balcony cabin on Explorer of the Seas for 7 nights for less than $1,300.  In fact I believe we spent less than $1,800 for the entire trip to include staying in the Doubletree on Miami Beach the night before the cruise.  Can't do that now. 

You can get pretty close if you time it right and find a good sale price.  Getting a balcony for less than $100/person/day is still possible.  Considering inflation since 2002, $1,300 then is worth about $1,750 today, and I can find 2018 sailings on Voyager-class ships in that range right now.