Another "included" perk being removed......

So full charge for room service for anything but breakfast.

And doubling the cost of it as well.

Anyone else hear about this and happy about it?!....

Is it just me or is Royal really going down a path to differentiate  themselves from the other cruise lines....for what I would consider all the wrong reasons??!

While I wouldn't expect passengers to have the warm and fuzzies about this, it isn't out of line with the industry.  Carnival has some complimentary items, but many things come with a charge.  NCL does something similar, though I beleive there is a "delivery charge" for all items (don't quote me on that).  Up to this point, hot breakfast items being complimentary was a real outlier, even some premium lines restrict hot breakfast room service to suite/concierge guests.

What remains to be seen is if this practice will increase the speed of delivery or quality of the food - both of which seem poor on many cruise lines.

I would be lying if I said I didn't think this was a money grab.  I have been loyal to Royal Caribbean since the very start, never wanting or needing to cruise with another line.   I know the argument can be made that it is simple to walk to *insert dining venue here* and get your breakfast and take it back to your room.   That's not the point, the point is there is a perceived value in cruising, and by slowly eliminating all of these values, aren't they becoming less of a value and more of an expense?   I fully understand the bottom dollar, and I can appreciate all of the suite benefits, and specialized offerings Royal offers.  But to me, this feels like just one more thing that now has an additional fee outside of my cruise fare, and when will it stop?  

To roll this out in 12 days seems very ill-timed at best.  I sail on Allure in 45 days and I have the 12 night Anthem scheduled for December for my annual Christmas vacation.  I love Royal Caribbean but the disappointment is very real for me as a consumer who gets to choose where his discretionary dollars are spent.   I think it's time I start exploring what the other lines do and do no offer, and what their value is.  

I ordered room service once. That was all I needed to know that I wasn't going to do it again. There needs to be a huge quality improvement for people to use the service, I think. 

I wish this was designated for staff, because they will be the ones who lose additional tips.

From what I've read, at least about hot breakfast, people aren't really missing much. I think at least keeping the complimentary continental breakfast is a good move. In the end, if somebody really wants room service they will pay for it. I think a lot of people just order it for the novelty of it and maybe that staff will be better used elsewhere?

I wouldn't  mind as much a 2 tired menu then...some complimentary and others that you pay for sure...

But now NO options....

Maybe include "snacks" and such and charge for meals? Continental breakfast is for me, a snack not a meal. Maybe that explains my waistline! :P 

Oh.....and maybe this is to hide the fact the gratuities are going up as well....seems to be lost in the uproar about the room service.....smart on their part I guess but just another negative mark on RCI as far as I am concerned.

Disappointed with this news to say the least.

How does this compare to other cruise lines? Is RCCL just playing catch up? It's hard to be a leader when you seem to be following.

Ordered room service breakfast once and never again. Showed up 1 1/2 hours after the requested time (we had given up waiting, gone to and gotten back from the WJ) and I sent it back. No tip, no nothing. Another indication of the continuing, ongoing deterioration of RCL's quality and commitment to customer service

How does this compare to other cruise lines? Is RCCL just playing catch up? It's hard to be a leader when you seem to be following.

RC was the hold out.  Other main stream lines have had something like this in place for years.

I wouldn't  mind as much a 2 tired menu then...some complimentary and others that you pay for sure...

But now NO options....

Not entirely true. There is a continental breakfast option that is entirely complimentary. Also, suite guests do not incur this charge at all.

Oh.....and maybe this is to hide the fact the gratuities are going up as well....seems to be lost in the uproar about the room service.....smart on their part I guess but just another negative mark on RCI as far as I am concerned.

Gratuities go up annually and are independent of this change. Not sure about you, but I welcome my annual pay increase at my job.  

If I can play devil's advocate for a moment, aren't you usually the guy on here lamenting any change that increases cruise fare? Would you prefer that RC increase the cruise fare and keep room service complimentary?

Personally, I don't love the change by any means but I barely ever order anything from it.  I think most people rarely, if ever, order from it too. It's certainly nice to have, but now it makes my decision all the easier to skip it.  

In 39 nights at sea iv only ordered room service once. Because I stay in inside rooms and would rather eat at a table it's not really my thing.

But I'm still disappointed, that was a nice perk, I used to bring it up when trying to sell people on cruises.

I'm sure it was allot of work and not cost effective but it was a feature, and a good one.

In 39 nights at sea iv only ordered room service once. Because I stay in inside rooms and would rather eat at a table it's not really my thing.

But I'm still disappointed, that was a nice perk, I used to bring it up when trying to sell people on cruises.

I'm sure it was allot of work and not cost effective but it was a feature, and a good one.

I think your experience sums up what a vast majority of cruisers have done too. Room service was something that they used sparingly, but it was nice to know it was there.

Of course, if you feel strongly about the change, let RC know.  Dynamic Dining was canceled based on guest feedback, room service policies can garner a change too.

I think the fact that they are now charging for something that was "free" has people upset. Even those that never used it or ever planned to use it. Just the idea of "losing" something that they had for free, is upsetting. I think this brings up the general question, should they make everything included and charge more for the cruise, or charge less in general and make more things a la cart?

I think the fact that they are now charging for something that was "free" has people upset. 

I like to think of it as losing something they were already paying for...

Still, I prefer this to the effect of higher fares.

You'll find me in the MDR and sometimes the Windjammer for breakfast and lunch...and hopefully at a cookout on the pool deck...with an ice cold beer. And not to forget a mimosa or bloody mary with breakfast.

So full charge for room service for anything but breakfast.

And doubling the cost of it as well.

Anyone else hear about this and happy about it?!....

Is it just me or is Royal really going down a path to differentiate  themselves from the other cruise lines....for what I would consider all the wrong reasons??!

I'm just curious, how often have you used room service and what's your honest opinion about it? Or is it just the principle of the matter?

Still, I prefer this to the effect of higher fares.

In essence, this is a fare increase for those that utilize the service. They're now paying for something that was previously included in the fare. The same has happened in the past, too. Soda used to be complimentary in the dining room, Johnny Rockets was once complimentary, room service was once 24 hours a day without charge, etc.

In essence, this is a fare increase for those that utilize the service. They're now paying for something that was previously included in the fare. The same has happened in the past, too. Soda used to be complimentary in the dining room, Johnny Rockets was once complimentary, room service was once 24 hours a day without charge, etc.

And gas used to be a $1 a gallon!

Dining in the cabin is not always optional, as when there is an outbreak of illness and some passengers must remain in their cabins per direction of the ship's physician. I wonder if these passengers would receive a fee waiver?

Also, is the customary 18% gratuity added to the $7.95?

From everything I've heard and read, this is included asking with the pay per view movies in the cabin.

I guess to me, the charge for room service outside of morning coffee delivery really just isn't a big deal to me. If I want a snack, I'd be more compelled to make a quick Windjammer or Cafe Promenade run rather than sit in my room and wait for something from a very limited menu to be brought to me. I can grab a drink while I'm out, too! 

While I wouldn't expect passengers to have the warm and fuzzies about this, it isn't out of line with the industry.  Carnival has some complimentary items, but many things come with a charge.  NCL does something similar, though I beleive there is a "delivery charge" for all items (don't quote me on that).  Up to this point, hot breakfast items being complimentary was a real outlier, even some premium lines restrict hot breakfast room service to suite/concierge guests.

What remains to be seen is if this practice will increase the speed of delivery or quality of the food - both of which seem poor on many cruise lines.

I think what you said about food quality is a key point. If it's just mediocre food, does it make it any better, just because they bring it to you? Same goes for hotel room service for instance. When was the last time you said, "Wow, I really enjoyed that $25 omelet!" You pay for the convenience more than the food.

Ok, now you are just showing off! Or showing your age! Or both! :D

Actually that was a typo... it was 39.9

:P

but others here have brought up a valid point:  I too don't expect things to stay the same...everything will increase eventually.  All cruiselines do things a little differently than the others in order to differentiate themselves.  But, they are also not stupid, as they see others charging for something and start to wonder if they are leaving money on the table?

They likely looked at their operational costs for R/S as a whole, and figured that if they charge, its a bit of income to offset that cost.  if the utilization declines, then thats a cost reduction.  Win-win if they can manage the initial customer reaction.

1. So now revenue is generated for this service
  2. Staff and cruise line is making money or breaking even on Room Service
  3. Room service no longer hitting the bottom line for RCCL.
  4. NOW WE SHOULD SEE SOMETHING REDUCED IN PRICE OR SOMETHING THEY CHARGED FOR SHOULD BE FREE NOW.

Looking at the very top level of what the airlines are doing now, bringing back free food service on some flights.  

Who knows what the right answer is?  Just my opinion. 

I tend to try and persuade people to cruise, in Canada it's not as common of a thing as it is in the US. I see many misconceptions about cruising.

When I tell people 'everything is included', I hate having to say 'except this' or 'doesn't include that'.

The more exceptions there are the less people trust the price.

And gas used to be a $1 a gallon!

And I made $3.35 an hour at my first job in high school; that doesn't negate the fact that by removing something that costs them money--and was previously included in the cost of the cruise--they've effectively raised the cruise fare as you now have to pay more onboard for the same level of service.

Personally, I think this is an underhanded way to essentially increase fares rather than actually increasing the fares by a few dollars a day.  In all likelihood, this is an attempt to stay competitive price-wise against the competing lines.  Unfortunately, it looks like Royal, and perhaps the rest of the industry, is going the way of the airlines.

Perhaps I need to start looking up market . . . 

I guess to me, the charge for room service outside of morning coffee delivery really just isn't a big deal to me. If I want a snack, I'd be more compelled to make a quick Windjammer or Cafe Promenade run rather than sit in my room and wait for something from a very limited menu to be brought to me. I can grab a drink while I'm out, too! 

It truly doesn't impact me as I don't use room service.  I go to the Windjammer and bring it back to the family as there's better food available there.  The reason I've been so vocal is on principle alone.  I was equally furious when JR went from complimentary to $$$ as well.

Minus morning coffee on the balcony, we did not use room service much.  Even with two teen boys, we ordered a burger and pizza one night. The food was mediocre at best and took FOREVER to arrive.  Also, on our last November trip, trays of half-eaten food all over the halls with so many kids on board.  Maybe the cruise lines are discouraging people from using room service -- it just jams everything up and has people scrambling to deliver food, not get tipped half the time, and have to pick up dishes left and right.  If they up the quality I might not mind the up-charge, but free wasn't even worth it for us last time.  On a side note, if you DO order room service, don't stiff the delivery people of their tip -- you are not punishing RCI at all, rather the poor person who did their job.  If you've just paid a couple thousand for a cruise, I don't think they can relate to your expressing anger at the policy change by not giving them a $2-3 tip.

Yes..I have used room service many times....usually mornings(which is still "free" for now) as well as often when having a late dinner and in the cabin getting ready or for an evening snack.

While I would never rave about the food, it was a nice "perk".

IF they want to start charging for every little thing, and lower the base cruise fare I am all for that. But we all know that's not the case. If it is, then great.

Going from NOTHING to $8 is a big jump..they charged $3.95 after midnight, so why not just charge that amount all day or gradually increase it. While that wouldn't make everyone happy, it would at least be a little better than the current plan.

From what I understand, other cruise lines do charge and have charged for years BUT, they still offer some basic items for free AND what you do pay for is much better options and variety.

And while I have not cruised for long(only started in 2013) and I have only done 10 cruises.....its been a lot of changes and upcharges and increases in just those 4 years! The reason why I didn't cruise(and the reason why a lot of ppl I know didn't cruise) was because of all the extra's that you walked off the ship at the end of the cruise having to pay for. Often doubles or triples the cost of the cruise. Compared to an AI resort where you pay 100% up front and there is no extra charges whatsoever.

While other cruise lines seem to be going the way of including more perks and features, royal seems to be wanting to make you pay for everything little extra onboard.

It's disappointing...and while yes, I could cruise any other line, I have enjoyed my Royal experiences and don't want to have to change cause they have priced me out of their cruise line and offered me nothing extra in return.

I really think this has to do with offsetting the costs of expansion, bigger ships, lifeguards among other things.

I think the fact that they are now charging for something that was "free" has people upset. 

I believe you are correct. For many people, this is the principle of having it available at no cost versus now having to pay for it.

I like to think of it as losing something they were already paying for...

I think there is some truth to that statement. Nothing on the ship is free, just included.

At least we now know that Royal is doing this for our benefit.

"This was introduced to manage the high demand [for room service]," Royal Caribbean representative Lyan Sierra-Caro explained.

I actually think this is going to backfire and lead to more waste. Why order one meal when you can order four for the same price? This also seems to be the stock reason Royal and some of the other cruise lines use to justify charging for something that used to be complimentary. And while I don't believe it given the lack of demand I have seen in Johnny Rockets compared to years past, I will acknowledge that this is perhaps the reason why the listed the price at Sabor in order to simulate demand. Of course, Rita's is relatively cheap and no one seems to dine there, and I'm not sure I even would if it were free.

I guess my biggest concern is on the smaller did where the Park Cafes in the Solarium are really lacking and limited to a couple of premade sandwiches, cheese or pepperoni pizza, and hot dogs. Perhaps if this charge was only on the bigger ships with more options I'd be less annoyed. And while I know this seems petty, it has me reconsidering the two Royal cruises I was planning to book this week with the new schedules out and less disappointed for cancelling my Vision cruise.

This one change won't really affect me, since I'm not likely to use room service anyway, but I don't like the continuation of the trend of nickel-and-diming.

These places to eat are included, but these places are not.  These beverages are included, but these are not.  Buy a drink package!  Now these drinks are included, but these are not.  This show is included, but this show is not...  On and on and on...

If they couple this with something new and complementary, I'd feel better.  More late night food options that aren't pizza would be a welcome addition.

The more exceptions there are the less people trust the price.

This is the crux of my biggest issue with pricing a cruise. Before I do a dummy booking, it took a while to get in the habit of adding taxes and port fees. At first, it was always a rude awakening when the published fares didn't represent the actual cost. 

So far, among my friends, I convinced one family to do a cruise. Now, after their cruise, they are hooked, but it took lots of info sessions to help them understand what is and is not included, and how to compare cabins, itineraries, ships, etc. There are so many factors, it's easy to forget things. If RC is trying to maintain a certain cost of goods percentage or to offset labor that could be directed elsewhere to maintain overall profitablility, they needed to make this change, but these things always tend to lead to customer dissatisfaction. It's a trade-off and a risk. I will watch with interest how this plays out once RC gets reviews back after this is put in place. I suspect that if upcharging hot foods in room service is standard within the industry, RC will be willing to take the PR lumps, and it's here to stay.

It truly doesn't impact me as I don't use room service.  I go to the Windjammer and bring it back to the family as there's better food available there.  The reason I've been so vocal is on principle alone.  I was equally furious when JR went from complimentary to $$$ as well.

While I totally understand what you're saying regarding the principle, it seems a little bit like being mad just to be mad. 

I do believe this was a really nice perk for those who spend a lot of time in the room or those who have children to make it easier to manage, as well as a perk people are used to just feeling happy knowing it existed, but in the end if you didn't really use it you aren't losing anything. No point in getting worked up over it. 

(... I hope the tone in this sounds right. You have every right to feel the way you do. I'm not trying to be argumentative.)