Weird seafood question

Adriana

Hi again! I have a weird seafood question. I can’t stand seafood (purely psychological after feeling bad for fishing as a kid, felt bad taking for taking it away from his school of friends).  I have been trying to get over it for years, but not too successful. I hear the seafood on board is great. Here is the question; does it taste like seafood? Does it taste fishy? Not sure if I am making sense. With all the sears and sauces, especially in the specialty restaurants, I wonder if I can try some (maybe not an entree) and can handle it without a silly reaction (so childish 🙄). Thank you! 

Naturally some seafood is more fishy than other seafood.  Your tolerance of "fishy" is likely different than mine or others.  I have a low tolerance for fishy.  

The great thing about cruising is the opportunity to try things outside of my comfort zone since if I don't like it, I simply ask for something else.  

1 hour ago, twangster said:

Naturally some seafood is more fishy than other seafood.  Your tolerance of "fishy" is likely different than mine or others.  I have a low tolerance for fishy.  

The great thing about cruising is the opportunity to try things outside of my comfort zone since if I don't like it, I simply ask for something else.  

Thank you! I have a pretty low tolerance for anything remotely seafood. Just the thought of it gets me sick, but I really want to get over it. Your point is exactly my hope. Being on a cruise and having all the options (and just booked UDP), I may be able to go past my comfort zone and try new things. I do not like to waste food, so prob will go small with trying an app or something. If they are not too busy, I will ask the server his/her opinion. … Thanks again! 

There are plenty of mild fish dishes.  Some with great sauces.  Or you can try fried fish.  It has breading and might be more tolerable.    

But just ask for a small taste of different things and see how it goes.  If doesn't work, at least you tried.  Just enjoy your cruise and food offerings!

49 minutes ago, Linda R said:

There are plenty of mild fish dishes.  Some with great sauces.  Or you can try fried fish.  It has breading and might be more tolerable.    

But just ask for a small taste of different things and see how it goes.  If doesn't work, at least you tried.  Just enjoy your cruise and food offerings!

Thank you! Ha, yes, deep frying things definitely helps! I agree about trying small offerings. Thanks again!

My friend is similar but after going off all meat she wanted more protein in her diet. Basically she has to "cook the s***" out of it for her to eat it. Lobster and shrimp are light. The fresher the better. Salmon is hit or miss, if you see trout it's a tad less than salmon. Everyone here has great ideas. Order an entree extra each time to try something and don't feel  bad if you don't. Maybe even tell your server ahead of time. 

If worried about waste make whoever you're going with try the same thing!

I am also picky with seafood. I find I can tolerate most of the fish (especially the salmon and tuna), and fish-based sushi (which I actually enjoy), but stay totally away from shellfish. 

I agree the easiest entry item is the fish and chips. Fried, breaded fish is totally different from standard fish. 

And as mentioned, if you don't like something, you only have to take a small bite to test and then order something different. You can tell the waiter you don't usually like it and only want to taste. They'll be totally fine with it. 

4 hours ago, Pooch said:

Try looking for a mild white fish - cod, haddock, flounder, mahi-mahi, tilapia.  None of these, assuming they are fresh & prepared properly, will have a strong fishy smell or taste.  Salmon is another good option.

Thank you! I am going to give some a try! Maybe just a try, but will try!

3 hours ago, ellcee said:

My friend is similar but after going off all meat she wanted more protein in her diet. Basically she has to "cook the s***" out of it for her to eat it. Lobster and shrimp are light. The fresher the better. Salmon is hit or miss, if you see trout it's a tad less than salmon. Everyone here has great ideas. Order an entree extra each time to try something and don't feel  bad if you don't. Maybe even tell your server ahead of time. 

If worried about waste make whoever you're going with try the same thing!

Haha! Yup, I can see basically burning it in order to eat it! I am going solo, so no one to pawn off what I don’t eat. I am going to start small, see how that goes and work myself up. … Thank you!

2 hours ago, SuzanneM said:

I am also picky with seafood. I find I can tolerate most of the fish (especially the salmon and tuna), and fish-based sushi (which I actually enjoy), but stay totally away from shellfish. 

I agree the easiest entry item is the fish and chips. Fried, breaded fish is totally different from standard fish. 

And as mentioned, if you don't like something, you only have to take a small bite to test and then order something different. You can tell the waiter you don't usually like it and only want to taste. They'll be totally fine with it. 

Hmm, fish and chips. That’s a possibility! I def was to try small portions and see what happens. I will make sure to let the server know!

9 hours ago, Pooch said:

Try looking for a mild white fish - cod, haddock, flounder, mahi-mahi, tilapia.  None of these, assuming they are fresh & prepared properly, will have a strong fishy smell or taste.  Salmon is another good option.

I have to agree with @Poochas my wife is not a fish lover and claims its the "fishy" taste and smell.  I keep trying to expand her palate, and yes she has learned that she can do a mild white fish, the ones mentioned seem to work for her also.  I will say it is easy to over cook fish and then it seems to be rubbery, when that happens she does not really like it either.

BTW I understand none of this as I LOVE fish, all fish, but we discovered some of this when I have offered and she accepted just a taste of my fish meal. 

We might be unique in that at times she has thought she'd like to try something more exotic and I then tell her do it, because I then order something I know she'll eat and if she doesn't care for that exotic dish, we just switch plates.  Sometimes she has found things that she did like and then sometimes I end up with it, though occasionally a waiter will see us and think they gave us the wrong plate and come and apologize, I assure them that it was us not them.

Anyway @Adrianaenjoy the adventure of trying to expand your palate.

I don't like seafood, its taste and texture for me, but I often try things. Had a horrible chowder (extreme fishy taste) in Ireland, tried fried fish/crab (a little less fishy in taste) in New Orleans and fried kippers (ugh, also tried haggis 🤢) in Scotland. I attempted the crab cakes from the MDR but...... my point is even prepared at its best, seafood may not be for you. It good to try new things, a cruise is often the easiest as you aren't wasting money, time, etc. because you can always get something else.

Back to seafood basics and aversion. 

You may want to try something other than fish, such as lobster, shrimp or fried calamari.  Bay scallops too. These may not be as "fishy". If the lobster appeals tastes good, there are a few whitefish that will taste as good when dipped in butter or cocktail sauce or tartar sauce.

Until you decide you like it, I would avoid oysters,  mussels, clams, escargot,  etc. 

I am over 60 and just recently decided to stop my aversion to bananas. I still get grossed out if mushy,  but can now eat them after overcoming my purely in my mind  reaction over them. 

Hi Adriana,

I would consider myself a person who likes seafood but does not love it.  There are just some things I will not eat.  I hated fish of any kind as a kid, but as an adult I have grown to like it.  My other half is a picky eater and not just with fish.  She will only eat fried shrimp and look, I get why people don't like fish believe me!  She once tasted a Mayan style fish near Cancun while we were on vacation, and to my surprise she loved it.  I can't recall the type of fish, but it was light and the seasoning was spectacular!  To her credit, last year she tasted and liked my fried Alligator bites in Tampa FL.  She was once curious about tasting my charbroiled Oysters in New Orleans as she saw how I was in pure bliss, then asked (with a look of concern) if it tasted like the ocean.  Unfortunately I said yes and advised against it.  She will gag if something doesn't taste right and didn't want that to happen in the restaurant.  Ha ha hopefully that story is not discouraging you. 

I'm just curious which ship are you sailing on?  By any chance would it be a ship that has Hooked Seafood?  I'm no expert on Royal and it's dining, but I think that one has steak.  Perhaps you can try some things there since you have the UDP?  Oh and by the way, if ever you have a chance to try the big fat sea scallops, give those a try.  I can eat those by the buckets...fried, steamed or seared!!  

If the fish is fresh, it should NOT smell fishy.  The white fishes have a lighter flavor but the tuna and salmon can have better flavor. (does that make sense?)  Anyway, I like most fish but I usually steer away from Salmon because I had too much of it.  I also love white fish (like cod and haddock) but hate tilapia.  Shellfish like clams, oysters, and mussels have some of the strongest flavors and smells. Lobsters and shrimp can be on the light side.

I NEVER eat seafood when I am in a landlock state unless it is a local catfish or trout.  

Being on a cruise ship is the best time to try new foods because you can order as many dishes as you like. Definitely hit the MDR on lobster tail night to give lobster a try.  It is better to try it at the MDR for free than at a restaurant.  

Final piece of advice, don't go overboard when you do find something you like.  Give your stomach a chance to get used to something it has not had.

GREAT JOB in feeling confident to branch out and trying new foods.  Enjoy your cruise. 

Thank you!! My next cruise is on Anthem on the 29th of October. I do try to be adventurous and being a Jersey girl and also having lived most of my adult like in South Beach (went to grad school at U of Miami) and loving to travel to NOLA, I have tried many different types of seafood, but yet have found anything I like. It has been more of going for a less dramatic reaction such as gagging and wanting to cry or throw up (seriously, so childish). I think I downed a full glass of wine the first time I had a gator po’ boy just to wash it out! 🙄 I will keep trying, though! 

@Adriana New Jersey ah ok.  I grew in NYC living in Los Angeles for 15 years now.  I will always be an East Coaster at heart.  Visited Miami for the 1st time in May of this year to check out the city and sailed with Royal for the 1st time on Freedom of the Seas.  We really liked Miami but could never live there.  It's just way too hot for us!  My aunt lives in Jersey City not far from the port, is retired and sails Anthem and Oasis several times a year out of there.  It's possible she may even be on your Oct 29th sailing. 

Have you sailed on Anthem before and done that itinerary?  It looks cool except for the return trip, which I would imagine is not ideal (in terms of weather) heading north on those sea days.