Voom Stream quality

mike2608

Well I don't have specific experience with Symphony but Oasis a few weeks was not very good. Adventure a few weeks before that was downright awful and almost completely unusable. A few years ago though Anthem Internet was pretty good. So it's hot or miss. Hopefully symphony is better than Oasis was a few weeks ago. 

I sailed Symphony this past Feb, but the Western itinerary.  We used the surf and stream and it worked well for us. We have cameras set up in our house to watch that our teens were getting ready for school and not doing anything crazy.  The videos from both the inside and the outside Ring camera always worked when we checked.

15 hours ago, mike2608 said:

I am cruising on the Symphony OTS in the Eastern Caribbean, does anyone know how the Internet quality is? I plan on using Live stream on my 2 dogs that are being boarded.

I was on Symphony last Sept. and it was pretty solid,but also less people on board.  Going on Allure in 12 days, heard it isn't that great, but I will report back.  Soon we won't have to worry when they get Starlink on the ships by next April

Now we I understand it in the next few months all Royal Caribbean ships will have Statlink. I'm looking forward to this on Oasis next May/June. I already booked/ordered the internet for that cruise. I'm wondering if there will be any kind of price increase with this new Internet? I'm gonna be curious to see all the reports of speed with this is implemented over the next few months. 

2 hours ago, dustfsu said:

I was on Symphony last Sept. and it was pretty solid,but also less people on board.  Going on Allure in 12 days, heard it isn't that great, but I will report back.  Soon we won't have to worry when they get Starlink on the ships by next April

👋 noticed you are on the same cruise as a few others of us.  Did you check the Roll Call for our cruise?  Some of us are planning to meet up on Day 2…just to say Hello.  

On 9/4/2022 at 4:10 PM, RCIfan1912 said:

Well I don't have specific experience with Symphony but Oasis a few weeks was not very good. Adventure a few weeks before that was downright awful and almost completely unusable. A few years ago though Anthem Internet was pretty good. So it's hot or miss. Hopefully symphony is better than Oasis was a few weeks ago. 

In June I was on Oasis and the Voom (surf only) was AWFUL.
I finally paid the difference ($5 per day) to get the Surf and Stream.  I must say, that was equally as bad.  Texts wouldn't go through, calls dropped, facetime glitch/delay, what'sapp glitch/delay.  Then an hour later it was fine.

I was just got off Oasis from my August 28 sailing and had Surf only and I coiuld actually open webpages (unlike June) as well as make calls, text AND use facetime (facetime always took about 30 seconds to a minute to "catch up" when we answered, then it was fine).    This worked just like it did back in Sept and Oct when I did not pay for the Surf/Stream package.  It was amazing!

Voom is so inconsistent. On my Liberty of the Seas cruise in March 2022, the internet was terrible, except for facebook and youtube. I tried just loading google or wikipedia and it would time out. I tried all over the ship to no avail. Same ship in July 2022, internet was awesome. Everything loaded pretty quickly. I could even stream videos from my doorbell camera. We were at full capacity, so I was worried it would be even worse, but it was surprisingly good, though did slow down during busy times of the day.

Weather was nice and sunny in both cases. Who knows why it was so inconsistent.

I think @jupiter03 hit it on the head--the best word is inconsistent. I was on Symphony earlier this summer. For probably 80-90 percent of the time, it worked fine. But there were a few times (particularly on the last sea day) when it got noticeably slower. 

As a general rule, I tell people if what you want to do isn't time sensitive, you'll probably be fine because if it's not working at certain time, give it a few minutes or a different part of the ship and your luck can change. But I wouldn't bet the farm on it for things like timely financial transactions (i.e. day trading) or that make-or-break meeting or interview.