Catholic Mass/priest

Adriana

Hi again! I am sorry for all of the questions! Does anyone have knowledge or experience with Catholic services while on board? I will be on Anthem over two weekends and All Saints Day. I do not want to miss Mass. When I booked, I asked about services and was told that they do have Mass and to check the Compass. I have not cruised in four years (yikes, hoping to get back in the groove), but I do not recall there being a Catholic Mass. I will also put a message on the cruise message board on board (if they even still do that) to see if there is a priest sailing who will be celebrating his own Mass. 

I think I remember a chapel or general service, but not a Catholic one. Thank you! 😁

38 minutes ago, Adriana said:

Hi again! I am sorry for all of the questions! Does anyone have knowledge or experience with Catholic services while on board? I will be on Anthem over two weekends and All Saints Day. I do not want to miss Mass. When I booked, I asked about services and was told that they do have Mass and to check the Compass. I have not cruised in four years (yikes, hoping to get back in the groove), but I do not recall there being a Catholic Mass. I will also put a message on the cruise message board on board (if they even still do that) to see if there is a priest sailing who will be celebrating his own Mass. 

I think I remember a chapel or general service, but not a Catholic one. Thank you! 😁

We have cruised with our Priest 4 times in the last 5 years. From our experience they will let people know of a Mass by putting a message on the message board. But I have not seen a message board in the last year. The last time we had 8 people in our group. 2 married couples and 4 priests. There was as many as 40 people during daily Mass.

28 minutes ago, AandD said:

We have cruised with our Priest 4 times in the last 5 years. From our experience they will let people know of a Mass by putting a message on the message board. But I have not seen a message board in the last year. The last time we had 8 people in our group. 2 married couples and 4 priests. There was as many as 40 people during daily Mass.

Thank you! I was wondering about the message board. It is good to know that if there is a priest on board, he may post to invite to Mass. That is pretty neat that you were able to travel with the priest! 

28 minutes ago, TXcruzer said:

I have over 300 days at sea (and am Catholic). I have never seen a Catholic mass on board. 
I have heard that if a priest happens to be on board that they can perform a mass if they are inclined, but Royal does not provide a priest and mass as a matter of course. 

Thank you. That is what I figured. I do not recall ever seeing it in all my years cruising thus was surprised when the rep said they do have it. 

I remember there is a chapel at the top of some (most?) ships, but it can be used for religious groups or social clubs. I think it's something that has to be informally organized. 

Edit: Here's a Royal Caribbean answer: 
https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/does-royal-caribbean-offer-religious-services-onboard

(Rolling my eyes at their reference to Chanukah as a high holiday though, or needing a rabbi on board for it...)

I went once to a Shabbat get-together; more a social gathering than anything religious, though there were a couple rituals done. It was listed in the cruise compass. But there wasn't anything organized for it; people just showed up randomly if they wanted.

13 minutes ago, SuzanneM said:

I remember there is a chapel at the top of some (most?) ships, but it can be used for religious groups or social clubs. I think it's something that has to be informally organized. 

Edit: Here's a Royal Caribbean answer: 
https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/does-royal-caribbean-offer-religious-services-onboard

(Rolling my eyes at their reference to Chanukah as a high holiday though, or needing a rabbi on board for it...)

Thank you! Def eye roll for that! 

20 minutes ago, WAYNO said:

Virtual Mass...

Over the past few years, it has become common to attend Mass via the internet.  I would think, with internet connections on the ship, Mass could be streamed to their Chapel, which is ever so lovely. 

Yes, my church does livestream one of its Sunday Masses, so that is my backup, but is not the same nor does it fulfill the Sunday obligation. However, as I am truly trying to find a Mass, it will be okay. I just really hope a priest will be on board. 

11 hours ago, Mike G said:

Have seen service’s usually Non Denominational. My daughter who is a minister was asked based on what she filled out on occupation. It depends on who is on board 

Thank you!  I have seen those, but like Pooch explained, it does not fulfill the Sunday obligation, the center of the Mass is Communion, and that is not part of any other service. But, thank you! 🙂

39 minutes ago, eaglesfaninfl said:

We attend Mass while on board if a priest is also cruising. It is usually listed in the Cruise Compass for that day. If no priest is available, there is no obligation to attend Mass, since there is no Mass!

Thank you! I am really hoping a priest will be daily, I do love to celebrate my faith and do not want to miss it. As I am earnestly trying to figure it out, I know it is no great sin, it is more that I want to participate in the Mass.