No need to pack the night before?

Haven't been on a lot of cruises (maybe 8 total), but was just on Enchantment of the Seas from Baltimore to Bermuda (and three of the four of us came back with Covid...lovely), but they did something that I'd not encountered on a cruise before. We had the option to keep our luggage and bring it down with us the morning of disembarkation. In the past (and on other cruise lines as well) we've had to pack up the night before, put it out in the hallway, etc.

Is this something new that Royal Caribbean is doing or just a weird, one off thing? It was so much more preferable than packing up the night before.

I did do a search and didn't find anything about this, but that's not to say that this question hasn't been asked before.

21 hours ago, foulmouthedleon said:

Haven't been on a lot of cruises (maybe 8 total), but was just on Enchantment of the Seas from Baltimore to Bermuda (and three of the four of us came back with Covid...lovely), but they did something that I'd not encountered on a cruise before. We had the option to keep our luggage and bring it down with us the morning of disembarkation. In the past (and on other cruise lines as well) we've had to pack up the night before, put it out in the hallway, etc.

Is this something new that Royal Caribbean is doing or just a weird, one off thing? It was so much more preferable than packing up the night before.

I did do a search and didn't find anything about this, but that's not to say that this question hasn't been asked before.

We have always done the self carry off luggage and prefer it very much to leaving luggage in hallway the night before.  It allows us to enjoy one last breakfast in the MDR at leisure then return to our room for a final last minute clean-up (brush teeth…spritz of fragrance…) before heading out.

on the pro side:

we have done this a few times before!! the only thing i will say is that we still mostly pack the night before, although i think that is rather more a preference on our end. (i can do mornings just fine but i may not be operating at 100% capacity until i've had coffee and breakfast, depending on how early it is haha)

we tend to book late morning/early afternoon flights and prefer to skip as much of the rush at the airport/cruise terminal as possible. a few times we had gotten delayed for hours and i remember being so thankful i took advantage of being able to shower and put clean clothes on and have a full meal before departing that morning -- which just requires a little extra time/hauling if you bring your 50+lb suitcase along. otherwise, you can eat quickly (and early) in the MDR or 'jammer and then go back to your cabin to retrieve bags.

on the flip/con side of the argument:

i would also say it depends on the size of your party and how much luggage you have.

be advised -- elevators are always at a premium on disembarkation day and everyone is struggling with their carryons etc -- once we got to deck 3 and we were routed to the stairs for the rest of the process to walk out an alternate way and had to maneuver all that luggage down a single flight of stairs,,,, it was more than a bit claustrophobic.

and the longer you wait to depart (if you choose to eat breakfast and then return for your bags, so as not to haul into MDR or breakfast venue of your choice) -- the harder it will be to get around because of this.

so, ultimately up to you -- but bear in mind your timing and the amount of passengers on board and when your flights are. if you're not flying out right away or you're staying an extra night or two locally/near the port, then this becomes less of an issue. 😊

I always do walk off. I pack the night before, wake up early, and go down with my luggage before the ship is tied up. The elevators and hallways are virtually empty at the time. There is usually a small line of other ‘self-disembarkationers’ already forming and I take my place. After the ship ties up…we wait until we see the CBP officers board and then the ship receives clearance. The line moves very quickly and we’re off! Quick walk through the terminal and customs hall…pause by the CBP facial recognition screens…then out the door. Usually from ship to car in about ten minutes. 
That’s the best option for me. I’m usually solo, forgo breakfast, and have four-wheeled luggage with my carry-on attached that’s very easy to maneuver and just roll along.

We never carry our luggage off the ship...We just leave out what we want to wear off the ships and pack the rest up...Set the suitcases out in the hallway the night before.  When we get off the ship, we always grab a porter to help with our bags...They also seem to get us through customs and out the door faster.