Voom question

Hi all - sorry if this has been asked before.  I am sailing with three friends next year in two cabins. I was looking into voom, and if each of us sign up for one device, it’s 89 per person. If I sign up alone for four devices, it’s 69 per device. Is there a reason not to do it that way? I am not trying to break any rules, but I’m trying to understand if that is an ok solution. Thanks!

Follow up question...if two people booked in the room, both people don't have to get the internet package right?  One person can buy the internet package (for multiple devices) without RC forcing the second person in the room to also purchase same said package? The second person in the room can just not book internet, and the first person can just share the multiple device log ins? TIA!

17 minutes ago, alaska mcleods said:

Follow up question...if two people booked in the room, both people don't have to get the internet package right?  One person can buy the internet package (for multiple devices) without RC forcing the second person in the room to also purchase same said package? The second person in the room can just not book internet, and the first person can just share the multiple device log ins? TIA!

The second person doesn't have to buy an internet package.  Example:  We buy one device so my wife can use VOOM to communicate with our catsitter.

17 minutes ago, alaska mcleods said:

Yes when someone purchases multiple devices they can be any devices…same room…different room…donated to a stranger (lol).  And there is no stipulation that everyone in the room must purchase internet!

19 minutes ago, cruisinnewbie said:

Since you’re all so helpful - one more question. If I really only want internet to text my friends on the ship and text my family at home, will the cheaper Voom option suffice? Does FaceTime work on the cheaper option or do you need the stream one for that? Thanks!

You might need the stream for FaceTime…I am not really sure about that.  Now here is another issue I ran into.  I have an Android phone and my daughter has an iPhone.  Our texts did not go through to each other on our cruise!  I also had another friend cruising with us who also had an iPhone.  My daughter and she could text back and forth…I was out of the loop!  So hopefully you all have the same phone systems?

25 minutes ago, cruisinnewbie said:

Since you’re all so helpful - one more question. If I really only want internet to text my friends on the ship and text my family at home, will the cheaper Voom option suffice? Does FaceTime work on the cheaper option or do you need the stream one for that? Thanks!

There is also a chat app you can each pay for per day using the Royal app in order to text each other.  It’s either .99/day or $1.99 I can’t remember price right now.  But that only works for cruise passengers using the app.  

38 minutes ago, cruisinnewbie said:

FaceTime audio calls will work with basic Surf but video calls will not or they'll be so blurred and buffering it effectively doesn't work.   

They don't block FaceTime video calls but with basic Surf you only get 0.25mps upload and 0.5 mbps down so effectively anything with video or large picture attachments doesn't work.  

46 minutes ago, PPPJJ-GCVAB said:

Now here is another issue I ran into.  I have an Android phone and my daughter has an iPhone.  Our texts did not go through to each other on our cruise!  I also had another friend cruising with us who also had an iPhone.  My daughter and she could text back and forth…I was out of the loop!  So hopefully you all have the same phone systems?

We use WhatsApp for messaging when on the ship - should work across all devices since it's not a "built in" app like iMessage. 

Just one word of caution about buying a single, multiple device plan.  As long as everyone abides by the rules that they can only have 1 device each connected at any one time, all will be well.  Just realize that if one person (of the 4) decides that they want to switch from their phone to their ipad and fails to first, log off, when they try to connect to the ipad (with their phone still connected) they may well knock one of the other 3 off of their device. 

If you anticipate that people will be switching between devices, it might be a better plan to have everyone with their own individual plans (the more expensive option).  If everyone understands that they can only have 1 device at the time connected then it will work just fine.

Since Dan and I are constantly switching back and forth between devices we have found it more harmonious to each have our own plan so that when we switch devices without first logging off, we are only affecting ourselves and not each other.

3 hours ago, FloatyBoaty said:

We use WhatsApp for messaging when on the ship - should work across all devices since it's not a "built in" app like iMessage. 

Good point.  We all have iphone except for my husband who has android.  I've only used whatsapp a small bit.  For all us all to use whatsapp, we'll need to just use the ships wifi (the $1.99 charge), correct?  And then we'll need to decide as a family, our different groups, if we'd like to do other internet things (then we'd be purchasing the Voom packages).  Do I have this correct?

Again, thank you all!!  Your help is soooo appreciated!

43 minutes ago, alaska mcleods said:

For all us all to use whatsapp, we'll need to just use the ships wifi (the $1.99 charge), correct?

No, whatsapp is an Internet app so you need VOOM to run it. The 1.99/day per person chat feature is within the Royal app. You can only chat with others who have purchased the chat feature.

42 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

No, whatsapp is an Internet app so you need VOOM to run it. The 1.99/day per person chat feature is within the Royal app. You can only chat with others who have purchased the chat feature.

Right...and the $1.99 is per day per person.  I plan to use that when on my upcoming cruise...with my husband and also the other couple traveling with us.  it's gonna cost each of us $16 bucks for the entire cruise but if it helps keep us in touch it's worth it!