Times/timezones listed in Cruise Planner - My Calendar

Heather C

We are going on our first cruise. The New England/Canada cruise leaving Boston in Oct. I'm trying to figure out how much time we have in port. We have heard about ship time but don't really know how that works. For example, the times listed for Saint John are 6:30am arrival and 6:45pm departure. Are those times in Eastern, Atlantic, or ship time?

If it's ship time, how do we know what time that would be in Saint John?

Thank you!!

Screen Shot.png

Always ship time. Keep track when ship time is different than local time. Our phones reset to local time when on a cruise previously but our arrival, departure and excursions were based on ship time and it messed up a few people. We had to wait on a few people on our excursion due to that. It would have messed us up but we were sailing Star Class and our genie came knocking on our door, saving us.

New Brunswick is on Atlantic time, so one hour ahead of Eastern Time. In most cases, ship time will stay on the time zone from which you left port. So you'd need to just be aware that any clocks you see in St. John would be an hour ahead of ship time. 

I say "in most cases" because it is technically at the discretion of the captain to either stay on departure port time or adjust to local time. But given your itinerary, I can't imagine much is open at 6:30 am local time, so I'd be very surprised if the ship time doesn't stay on Eastern time.  

I did the Nova Scotia & New Brunswick cruise in June. We did not change to local time and were reminded over and over before getting off the ship to stay on ship time. Several people reminded our tour guides of ship time too. A great suggestion we got was to go into our devices (iPhone would be Settings-General-Date & Time) and turn off Set Automatically and then manually change the time zone to New York so that your device stays on ship time