Register for Diamond plus free upgrade?

Pattycruise

I’m currently on Oasis and went to the Loyalty Ambassador to inquire about a few things.

one item was about the free upgrade as a D+ member as quite a few people in my FB group for this sailing were granted the free upgrades.  One had done a Royal  Up, won, was charged and had the charge reversed and was given the upgrade gif free.  👀  I asked how does one get an upgrade? And he said Pinnacles first, then the  Diamond plus who had previously recorded our preference in our profile that we wanted an upgrade.   I’ve never heard of this?  I’ve spoken with C&A to go over amenities, I inquired of the Loyalty ambassador on a different sailing about upgrades and  I’ve never heard of this.  Has anyone heard of such a thing ?(registering a preference). 

I really have no idea how it works these days.  BC you could go online and choose whether wanted to be automatically upgraded (should an upgrade opportunity present itself) or whether you wanted to be contacted and approve an upgrade first.  The auto upgrade happened for us twice…..then they implemented RoyalUp and I think the days of C&A auto upgrades is pretty much gone.  Why give away something that you can sell ?

I haven’t heard of a C&A upgrade in years.  I think @twangstergot one recently but they are very rare these days.

I’m currently on Oasis and went to the Loyalty Ambassador to inquire about a few things.

one item was about the free upgrade as a D+ member as quite a few people in my FB group for this sailing were granted the free upgrades.  One had done a Royal  Up, won, was charged and had the charge reversed and was given the upgrade gif free.  👀  I asked how does one get an upgrade? And he said Pinnacles first, then the  Diamond plus who had previously recorded our preference in our profile that we wanted an upgrade.   I’ve never heard of this?  I’ve spoken with C&A to go over amenities, I inquired of the Loyalty ambassador on a different sailing about upgrades and  I’ve never heard of this.  Has anyone heard of such a thing ?(registering a preference). 

4 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I really have no idea how it works these days.  BC you could go online and choose whether wanted to be automatically upgraded (should an upgrade opportunity present itself) or whether you wanted to be contacted and approve an upgrade first.  The auto upgrade happened for us twice…..then they implemented RoyalUp and I think the days of C&A auto upgrades is pretty much gone.  Why give away something that you can sell ?

I haven’t heard of a C&A upgrade in years.  I think @twangstergot one recently but they are very rare these days.

But they did away with registering for anything online, that’s my understanding.  Of course I could be wrong.  As seems to be typical of Royal there is no communication.  I stood in the Loyalty Ambassadors office in June to inquire of upgrades and was given the story of the  royal upgrades essentially doing away with that. .  I commented when sailing last Sept, Oct on the same ship, at reduced capacity there were no upgrades  and I wasn’t told I needed to sign up.  
Do you have a link where I can log in and choose my preferences?  

CAS Upgrades are a thing from the days when airplanes and cruise ships didn't go full.  I think my parents had some slides they once showed us of an airplane trip in coach with lots of legroom and big comfy coach seating.  

That is the era in which Royal Caribbean CAS upgrades worked.  Since that time ships, like airplanes have sailed full and there no upgrades to be had.   Then the pandemic.  

During the restart I had picked an interior cabin and found myself in a balcony but that was because I had chosen a cabin in what later became a quarantine cabin.  That wasn't a CAS upgrade.

Ships are not full right now as quarantine areas are being freed up so maybe that's where they are getting upgrades from.  The summer peak is over and there are last minute bargains so presumably there are upgrades to be had that RoyalUp isn't consuming.

Sometimes you need to careful blindly accepting an "upgrade".  In some cases not every cabin move is an upgrade in everyone's opinion.  Most suites will book up so it's really interior and OV guests that may benefit.  Older ships have fewer balcony cabins.  Some classes like Quantum class are mostly balcony cabins.  A lot depends on what you are starting with and the type of ship you are sailing.

9 hours ago, twangster said:

CAS Upgrades are a thing from the days when airplanes and cruise ships didn't go full.  I think my parents had some slides they once showed us of an airplane trip in coach with lots of legroom and big comfy coach seating.  

That is the era in which Royal Caribbean CAS upgrades worked.  Since that time ships, like airplanes have sailed full and there no upgrades to be had.   Then the pandemic.  

During the restart I had picked an interior cabin and found myself in a balcony but that was because I had chosen a cabin in what later became a quarantine cabin.  That wasn't a CAS upgrade.

Ships are not full right now as quarantine areas are being freed up so maybe that's where they are getting upgrades from.  The summer peak is over and there are last minute bargains so presumably there are upgrades to be had that RoyalUp isn't consuming.

Sometimes you need to careful blindly accepting an "upgrade".  In some cases not every cabin move is an upgrade in everyone's opinion.  Most suites will book up so it's really interior and OV guests that may benefit.  Older ships have fewer balcony cabins.  Some classes like Quantum class are mostly balcony cabins.  A lot depends on what you are starting with and the type of ship you are sailing.

Thank you.

Hubby had an interior, it would have been nice if they gave him a balcony….that’s what they did for several people.

im usually particular on my cabin location….so I really need to think on having this option as marked “interested” or whatever they call it.

i think it’s interesting they refunded a Royal  up and gave them the cabin free. It seems to go against Royal up rules, but good for them!  

Maybe they’ve upgraded those with no cruises through the pandemic year restart to entice them to book more.  
this is Oasis.  We are at 6,300 passengers, 2,400 are C&Amembers.

Thank you everyone for the insight

18 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I really have no idea how it works these days.  BC you could go online and choose whether wanted to be automatically upgraded (should an upgrade opportunity present itself) or whether you wanted to be contacted and approve an upgrade first. 

Do they still have the ability to set your preferences?  I can't find anything on the website now. You used to be able to find it under your profile.

14 minutes ago, Ramja said:

Do they still have the ability to set your preferences?  I can't find anything on the website now. You used to be able to find it under your profile.

If they do, you likely have to call in. Same as how you can't change your welcome gift/beverage preference online anymore and you have to call in.

I’m disappointed when I had called a few weeks ago (as well as a few months ago) to update my gifts that this was never mentioned, let alone when I talked in person to the loyalty ambassador in June.

I’ll have to go back to open ended questions, “what’s in my profile that I can make selections for?”  I’m not even sure that would translate well. I need a “menu” so I can see all the options that can be answered.corrected in my profile.

I just called C&A and requested I have automatic upgrade set to yes. The associate said that they do not have automatic upgrade any longer and it is replaced with RoyalUp. I explained that I was informed that some "friends" had just talked to C&A and they had their account updated. She then stated that she would look on one of the other screens and lo and behold there it was. So my wife and I are now checked yes for upgrades if available. I did not inquire if there were any other items I could check, I was just happy that I had that one updated. Not sure I will see any in my lifetime but at least I know it is there.

1 hour ago, CrznTxn said:

I just called C&A and requested I have automatic upgrade set to yes. The associate said that they do not have automatic upgrade any longer and it is replaced with RoyalUp. I explained that I was informed that some "friends" had just talked to C&A and they had their account updated. She then stated that she would look on one of the other screens and lo and behold there it was. So my wife and I are now checked yes for upgrades if available. I did not inquire if there were any other items I could check, I was just happy that I had that one updated. Not sure I will see any in my lifetime but at least I know it is there.

i truly hope this was the case, and am happy for you and your wife -- that will be a great surprise if you get a free upgrade 😊

but there's also the skeptical part of me that wonders how true that "other screen" really was and if she may have been placating you since the policy has changed with the RoyalUp now.

either way, i hope you will have a wonderful sailing + that there will be an upgrade in your future!! 💚

23 hours ago, KevinK said:

When you called in, what did you ask?

I simply asked what my current profile specified with regard to upgrades. She told me it was set to "no upgrades" so I asked her to change it to "accept upgrades".  She also confirmed that if they choose me for a possible upgrade, they will call first to confirm that I want the room being offered.