Anyone have a favourite hotel in New York?

FionaMG

I'm just starting the planning for our NYC+cruise combo that we lost to covid at the start of the pandemic.

We will be going in April 2023 and will stay 3 nights pre-cruise, probably in the Mid-townish area to do stuff like Empire State Building, Central Park, etc., and 2 nights post-cruise downtown to do 9/11 and Lady Liberty.

Does anyone have a go-to hotel in either area they'd like to recommend? There will be 3 of us and we'll share a room to keep costs down. Ideally included breakfast so we can fuel up for the day, and trying to keep it at $350 or under a night, if at all possible. 

Only stayed in Manhattan once at a Hampton inn at 8th and 51st. It was a short walk to the park, times sq and stuff. Wasn’t too expensive, around 200 a night. Hotels 2 blocks over in times square were going to 3x’s the amount

When we went to tour south Manhattan we stayed across the river in a double tree suite in Newport NJ. It was near the ferry and easy to get to the financial district

Stayed in The Renwick near grand central and The Grand Hyatt.

Both were good, Renwick is a Boutique Hotel not sure if you get breakfast but a great cafe ( Blooms ) on corner of street. Very reasonably priced. Including tip i was $30 for 3 breakfasts 

Being near Grand Central easy to get about only 1 stop to Times Sq ( the shuttle line ) 

If booking book pay at hotel then look for sales as you may be able to book again and cancel original.

Hotels will have resort fee and about 5 extra taxes to be added to price. Some hotel booking sites add these onto total others just mention they are pay at hotel. 

Also they can take up to $100 per night as an incidental charge, i usually pay this is cash, gives you $ in your pocket for heading to port or in my case airport on way home.

1 hour ago, Ray said:

Stayed in The Renwick near grand central and The Grand Hyatt.

Both were good, Renwick is a Boutique Hotel not sure if you get breakfast but a great cafe ( Blooms ) on corner of street. Very reasonably priced. Including tip i was $30 for 3 breakfasts 

Being near Grand Central easy to get about only 1 stop to Times Sq ( the shuttle line ) 

If booking book pay at hotel then look for sales as you may be able to book again and cancel original.

Hotels will have resort fee and about 5 extra taxes to be added to price. Some hotel booking sites add these onto total others just mention they are pay at hotel. 

Also they can take up to $100 per night as an incidental charge, i usually pay this is cash, gives you $ in your pocket for heading to port or in my case airport on way home.

Great, thanks very much. I'll have a look at those. 😊

• 2 months later...

We stayed at the Conrad Downtown which is within walking distance to the 911 memorial and other attractions and at Trump at Central Park. We stayed during the Christmas season so prices were higher than your preferred budget. Not sure how rates in April compare.  We liked both hotels and would definitely stay again.  

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, just did some searches for April (not knowing dates)  
I can't get over the pricing for the hotels in the Theater district.  I do believe it is Spring Break here so that could be causing higher prices.

I did find this hotel. (see link below)   It is north of what you are looking for, but it is a good area. and tons cheaper.  If you like to walk it is a nice area to walk down to the theater district/times square but it will take some time.  
It is also located near the 72 St subway which has the express train as well as local.  Trains at this station are the Local #1, Express #2, #3.
Express train puts you 2 stops away from Time Square, 3 stops from 34 St (Empire State Building area-though it will be a few long blocks to get there)
There is another subway line on 8th Ave/72 St but is a local only and puts you further west of "the action"-but is an alternative to be aware of in case of train issues on the Broadway line (#1,2,3)

When riding the subway don't stand near the doors-it is easy to grab and go for thieves exiting the train or those who choose to reach in and grab from the platform.
Don't stand near the edge looking over for a train-it will not get there any quicker and you are at risk of falling off the edge.
Sitting-I really try to not sit on a train or in the station unless I saw who just got up.  Have hand sanitizer for anything you touch.
If a subway car is empty during a busy time of day-it is because there is a super smelly person in it, don't get on at that car.
Pickpockets thrive in NY (as they do in other big cities)-they love crowds-subway, street corner, bottlenecks into/out of stores etc..
When dining out, keep your purse/bag in your lap.  do NOT hang anything off the back of a chair or leave on the floor.

If  you are trying to figure out where you are going, step out of the flow of pedestrian traffic to look at maps/phones etc., otherwise you may be bumped into.
If a person looks sketchy to you, go with your gut.
Don't pull out your cash to give $ to someone or make change.  If you like to give $ to people have some change in a seperate area from your normal $.  I do not recommend giving $ as sadly many of the people asking do not need it.  NYC has some of the best support programs for those who need it.
If someone asks what time it is keep walking, you can even say "I don't know".  Everyone has a cellphone these days.....this was a ploy of the thieves for you to stop and look and you would be robbed.

NYer's ARE friendly and will give you directions if you need them.  (despite all the warnings above)

https://www.hotels.com/ho153584/la-quinta-inn-suites-by-wyndham-new-york-city-central-park-new-york-united-states-of-america/?chkin=2023-04-11&chkout=2023-04-14&x_pwa=1&rfrr=HSR&pwa_ts=1672160249395&referrerUrl=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuaG90ZWxzLmNvbS9Ib3RlbC1TZWFyY2g%3D&useRewards=false&rm1=a3&regionId=553248635975749205&destination=Central+Park+South%2C+New+York%2C+New+York%2C+United+States+of+America&destType=BOUNDING_BOX&neighborhoodId=129440&mealPlan=FREE_BREAKFAST&sort=RECOMMENDED&top_dp=189&top_cur=USD&userIntent=&selectedRoomType=201558479&selectedRatePlan=234147919&expediaPropertyId=118494

Thanks @Pattycruise and @KristiZ. Much appreciated. 😊

I did actually book rooms back in September and I'm so glad I did because I've been keeping an eye on the prices and they've just been sky-rocketing. In the end I found that it was a good bit cheaper to do the 3 pre-cruise nights downtown and then the 2 post-cruise nights near Times Square.

I got a senior rate at the Fairfield Downtown East for $731 for the 3 nights (would have preferred to be a bit closer to the 9/11 Memorial but wasn't willing to pay an extra couple of 100 dollars for the privilege 😂).

And then 2 nights at the Riu Plaza Times Square, taking advantage of a loyalty programme promo rate, for $625.

Both have breakfast included, so price-wise, I think I've done pretty well, so fingers crossed they'll actually be alright! 🤞

Great choices, I did not realize this was a September post!

Re:Fairfield Downtown East.  It looks like it’s close to the Manhattan Bridge which means it’s near Wo Hop restaurant in “Chinatown”.  It’s been around forever.  I’m not much into Chinese food and admittedly never ate inside-we did takeout, but it’s very well known.    Nearby in “Little Italy” is a restaurant called Luna-which used to make a hero (some say wedge) that was about 15/18 inches in length, we did to go all the time, so I can’t speak to the restaurant.  My husband would go to Puglias with his office people.  Both are small restaurants.

you are walking distance to the Brooklyn Bridge, I recommend a walk over, or at least part way.  There may be some things to do on the other side of the Brooklyn Bridge, I know that area has been building up. 

Years ago the area by the Manhattan Bridge was pretty desolate at night, there was no hotel though, so clearly things have changed!  I’ve not worked in that area in 20 years So I can’t speak to the safety there anymore.

I’ve added a photo of the subways near your Times Square hotel.  I’d avoid the local train at 50th St and instead walk down to 42 St.  there are Too few people at the local stations and longer waits for a train, I think it’s just not safe. If you want to avoid crowds walk down 9th or 8th Ave to get to 42St. 

E7CBAA3B-B81F-45F1-BB11-971E71DC35C7.jpeg

7 hours ago, Pattycruise said:

Great choices, I did not realize this was a September post!

Re:Fairfield Downtown East.  It looks like it’s close to the Manhattan Bridge which means it’s near Wo Hop restaurant in “Chinatown”.  It’s been around forever.  I’m not much into Chinese food and admittedly never ate inside-we did takeout, but it’s very well known.    Nearby in “Little Italy” is a restaurant called Luna-which used to make a hero (some say wedge) that was about 15/18 inches in length, we did to go all the time, so I can’t speak to the restaurant.  My husband would go to Puglias with his office people.  Both are small restaurants.

you are walking distance to the Brooklyn Bridge, I recommend a walk over, or at least part way.  There may be some things to do on the other side of the Brooklyn Bridge, I know that area has been building up. 

Years ago the area by the Manhattan Bridge was pretty desolate at night, there was no hotel though, so clearly things have changed!  I’ve not worked in that area in 20 years So I can’t speak to the safety there anymore.

I’ve added a photo of the subways near your Times Square hotel.  I’d avoid the local train at 50th St and instead walk down to 42 St.  there are Too few people at the local stations and longer waits for a train, I think it’s just not safe. If you want to avoid crowds walk down 9th or 8th Ave to get to 42St. 

/cdn-cgi/mirage/7dfc606c42a0d6d20e6108a1aa20c9b3437393fad60ad060d732af99a7a342db/1280/https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/uploads/monthly_2022_12/E7CBAA3B-B81F-45F1-BB11-971E71DC35C7.thumb.jpeg.e3af07997ea6f9241ad55e68f23310b9.jpeg

Great info. Thanks very much, especially the Italian restaurants as that's our favourite type of food. Will definitely look them up. 😊

• 3 months later...

We always stay at the Hyatt Regency in Jersey City due to the incredible views and also its transport routes - Path Train and ferry links. But it is not the most central hotel -but the rooms are much larger and the prices are attractive.  Perhaps this is worth a look?  https://www.hyatt.com/en-US/hotel/new-jersey/hyatt-regency-jersey-city-on-the-hudson/newjp