Izumi Hibachi

Aron_Ross

I know there are many of you who love this restaurant.  Aside from the entertainment, what is it you like about Izumi Hibachi?  Is the food really that good?  I'd love to know.

We purchased the 3 night dining package for our Nov 12th Harmony cruise, and still not sold on this venue.  So far we plan on using it for: Chops, Wonderland and 150 Central Park.  Keep in mind my wife and I have never been to any of these.  This will be our 2nd Royal cruise, the first was on Freedom where we dined at Giovanni's and LOVED IT!   

Hibachi was good.  You can pick which meats you want, including lobster and filet mignon.  But It also depends on the arrangement of the tables because it can be very noisy.   There are usually 4 tables with up to 12 people at them.  The cook talks the whole time, entertaining,  people cheer, etc. If you want a more relaxing dinner go somewhere else.

If I have  Unlimited dining package I go 1 night.  I like the food, but sometimes not all the noise.

Thank you all for your input much appreciated! One of the reasons Izumi may not appeal to us is that we live in Los Angeles, where there is a ton of great Asian food. Let me also add that we paid for lunch at Jamie‘s Italian. We considered the dining package, but we do like the main dining room and The Windjammer, so it didn’t seem worth it.  It’s an eight night cruise to the southern Caribbean and I’m hoping there will be a lobster night.  

By the way, still dreaming about the unlimited lamb shanks on Freedom in the WJ!!

2 hours ago, michaelp1446 said:

Keep original plan and try Izumi Hibachi for lunch on a sea day.

I didn’t know Izumi had lunch on sea days. I thought it was sushi only.  I would assume the menu is a little bit different?  I noticed Jamie‘s only excluded two items for lunch, the beef short rib and lamb chops, so the lunch seemed like a good deal for the price.

4 hours ago, Aron_Ross said:

I didn’t know Izumi had lunch on sea days. I thought it was sushi only.  I would assume the menu is a little bit different?  I noticed Jamie‘s only excluded two items for lunch, the beef short rib and lamb chops, so the lunch seemed like a good deal for the price.

Hibachi is only dinner; they will have Sushi and Saki and the regular sushi offerings during lunch at Izumi's.

38 minutes ago, michaelp1446 said:

I guess the Teppanyaki lunch we had on the Odyssey was a one off then.🤔 It's listed in the cruise compass for our cruise as well...YMMV

Isn't it separate on Wonder and Odyssey? Not a one-off but a separate restaurant, which means it is a different experience.

2 hours ago, Swar said:

We are not Wonderland friendly. Going to be forced into it On Harmony, in October, because DIL is into "eclectic" dining. Too fru fru for us, but some people love it.

Ha ha!  My wife is not really interested in Wonderland, but I would like us to try it once.  We have seen a few videos on YouTube and she is not impressed.  I am the more adventurous eater.  I would LOVE to do the Chef's Table but that would certainly be a waste of money for her.  She said I should do it without her.  I don't think I can fit it in with our 3 night pkg, Jaime's lunch and all the other free food.  Next cruise perhaps.

@Aron_Ross I don’t think you shared if you had previously tried any of the venues on other ships but you did mention that you have not tried Wonderland.  Wonderland is usually pretty decent (3 different ships) from our view, but you typically have to be a little open to new experiences.  

FWIW, We liked the Hibachi on Harmony.  150 was one of our favorites on Wonder but was more average to us on Harmony .  (Another couple from the SF area said it disappointed.). Jamie’s has been one of our favorites on every ship that we have been on that has one.  

Your plan looks good but I think as long as you go into each with an open mind you will be pleased.  Once you start setting expectations you might not be as happy.  

Happy planning and enjoy your cruise.

2 hours ago, ScooterScott22 said:

@Aron_Ross I don’t think you shared if you had previously tried any of the venues on other ships but you did mention that you have not tried Wonderland.  Wonderland is usually pretty decent (3 different ships) from our view, but you typically have to be a little open to new experiences.  

Hi, so far we only sailed 4 days on Freedom of the Seas and had lunch at Giovanni's Kitchen.  We loved it!  We toyed with the idea in checking out Playmakers, but figured we can wait for Harmony...and then post cruise I learned it's not on Harmony😥  I definitely have more of an open mind when it comes to food.  I will try anything as long as it's not organs or bugs.  

Speaking of Giovanni's, can anyone tell me the difference between Giovanni's Table and Giovanni's Kitchen?

Fixed a sentence in my earlier post.  

The change is an update from “table” to “Italian kitchen”.  Though most people still use the old terms. 

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/category/category/giovannis-italian-kitchen

Expect a standard menu at Giovanni’s. The new places have lighter tile and more family style look.  

20 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

Isn't it separate on Wonder and Odyssey? Not a one-off but a separate restaurant, which means it is a different experience.

OP was asking about Izumi Hibachi not Izumi (sushi). Yes they are separate on Odyssey. It was my mistake to assume since a teppanyaki(Hibachi) lunch was offered on sea days on Odyssey, that it would have been offered on other ships (with Izumi Hibachi)

3 hours ago, michaelp1446 said:

OP was asking about Izumi Hibachi not Izumi (sushi). Yes they are separate on Odyssey. It was my mistake to assume since a teppanyaki(Hibachi) lunch was offered on sea days on Odyssey, that it would have been offered on other ships (with Izumi Hibachi)

It is offered for lunch on other ships that have hibachi. It may not always be in the Cruise Planner to book ahead of time, but they definitely have it

• 2 months later...
4 hours ago, Cruiser4Life said:

Can anyone tell me if there is any difference in the Hibachi experience for lunch vs dinner? Not so much the food offerings as we are good with anything but I didn't want to experience a reduced "show" if you will, just because we chose lunch instead of dinner.....

Nope..same show, same food, same schtick.  Bonus on the Oasis class and Quantum Class ships that have it, the view is great since it's not dark 🙂