Adventure Ocean

Hi there!  New to this forum.

My husband and I are taking our kids (7 and 8.5) on the Oasis in June - everyone in the family is super excited - it's the kids' first cruise.  I've heard really good things about Adventure Ocean.  Can anyone let me know how check in works?  What age are the kids able to check themselves out?  Do the kids get their own activity newsletter, etc? How do meals work?  do the kids bring backpacks with their bathing suite? Any details you can provide are greatly appreciated!  

Your kids will be in Explorers (ages 6-8) and what happens is anytime they are open, you can go and check-in the kids.  You will specify who may check them out.  Your kids are too young for self-checkout (that happens when they are a pre-teen).

There is a daily newsletter for Adventure Ocean. It should be delivered to your stateroom each evening, along with your Cruise Compass. Here is an example from Navigator of the Seas: http://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/cruise-compasses/navigator-of-the-seas/fri-2017-02-17-0000-0

In terms of meals, the only meal served is lunch and that is on port days, because some parents (like me) leave their kids onboard, and lunch is served.  Otherwise, you need to feed them.  There are breaks in the normal schedule for meals.  On a sea day, it will be open 9am-noon, 2pm-5pm, 7pm-10pm (with additional hours beyond 10pm for an hourly charge). As you can see, there are gaps for meals.

You need not bring anything to AO.  Don't bother with a bathing suit either, they will not go.

My son will be 8 1/2 on our upcoming cruise. Will he be grouped with 6-8 years old or does he have a choice to go with the 9-year-old? Do the kids with different age group mingle at all or totally separated? Newbie here as well.

Depending on the amount of kids in each group, they may combine. On our recent Freedom sailing, my daughter (8) was in Explorers, but they occasionally were grouped with the older group (9-11?)...

Depending on the amount of kids in each group, they may combine. On our recent Freedom sailing, my daughter (8) was in Explorers, but they occasionally were grouped with the older group (9-11?)...

Yes, this does happen especially if the number of children utilizing the program are quite low or the ship doesn't have that many children onboard.  For all dinners at after hours activities, the same happens, too.

My kids were in separate groups on our last cruise (6-8 and 9-11), and I would say about 50% of the time when we went to pick them up the groups were combined in one room.  

Sign up for family dining.  Anytime you are having dinner in the MDR, they will bring  your kids meals first, and then after like 45 mins you take your kids to the entrance of the MDR and the AO people will be waiting there to take them to AO and you get to go back in and enjoy the rest of your meal.  This was wonderful and we were glad we did it.  Confirm with your waiter that you signed up for this so they know to bring the kids meals right away. 

My kids were in separate groups on our last cruise (6-8 and 9-11), and I would say about 50% of the time when we went to pick them up the groups were combined in one room.  

Sign up for family dining.  Anytime you are having dinner in the MDR, they will bring  your kids meals first, and then after like 45 mins you take your kids to the entrance of the MDR and the AO people will be waiting there to take them to AO and you get to go back in and enjoy the rest of your meal.  This was wonderful and we were glad we did it.  Confirm with your waiter that you signed up for this so they know to bring the kids meals right away. 

I heard about this earlier.  My two youngest grands may want to do this.

My son will be 8 1/2 on our upcoming cruise. Will he be grouped with 6-8 years old or does he have a choice to go with the 9-year-old? Do the kids with different age group mingle at all or totally separated? Newbie here as well.

Explorers. They do not move up until they are actually 9 years old.