Drinking

So I’m just curious I’m 19 and I’m leaving next year on Liberty to Bermuda for 5 nights. Now I know the policy is nobody under 21 is supposed to have alcohol sailing out of the the US but I was just wondering how lax they are when parents are around? I mean yes I’ll be hitting a nightclub when we’re in Bermuda and partying cause that’s legal at 18 there but when on the ship all I want is a marg or daquiri once a day and I’d be happy. Like if I’m at the main dining room and my mom or dad says I can have one will they allow it or are they very strict when it comes to that sort of thing? Thanks 

You'd be risking being left in port to get home at your own expense.  If the only port is Bermuda, that's an international flight home so you'd better have a passport or you're going to be stuck on the island until you can get one from the US embassy.  No cruise refund, last minute flight home, plus a possible hotel stay in Bermuda for an unknown number of days.  Are your parents generous enough to pay for that?

They're strict in the sense that the computer system dictates it. If you want to buy a drink, you have to use your Sea Pass card. So, using your analogy, even if your parents said yes and the MDR waiter took your card, when they go to scan it to charge your account, the system will red flag it and not let the purchase go through. So you wouldn't get your drink. It's not like a bar in the US where the bartender makes a choice whether or not to check your ID--your age is already in the computer and it will automatically disallow any drink purchases.

The obvious next question is what if your parents or someone over 21 buys a drink and gives it to you? I don't know how strict they are in enforcing that kind of situation but, according to Royal Caribbean's policies, they have host of possible options if you got caught, ranging from cancelling the older person's drink package to disembarking anyone involved. I'm sorry to be Captain Buzzkill, but I'd say this is a case in which the risk is definitely not worth the reward. But definitely enjoy yourself in Bermuda. 😀

• 1 month later...
On 8/31/2022 at 9:42 PM, Atlantix2000 said:

You'd be risking being left in port to get home at your own expense.  If the only port is Bermuda, that's an international flight home so you'd better have a passport or you're going to be stuck on the island until you can get one from the US embassy.  No cruise refund, last minute flight home, plus a possible hotel stay in Bermuda for an unknown number of days.  Are your parents generous enough to pay for that?

Bit dramatic that mate 😄

I've seen under 21 year olds get drinks from their parents so unless you wear a T-shirt around that says "I'm Under 21" the crew isn't going to know or care.  You won't get served at a bar but I've also seen under 21 year olds sneak booze on board from various ports, and of course there are ways to do it when you come on board. Just be discreet.   If you get caught the ship will simply confiscate the booze and your parents can pick it up at the end of the cruise.

FYI, back in the day my family shared a dinner table with two 20 year old women who were from a country where the drinking age was 19. They asked my wife and I if we could buy wine for them. This was before drink packages. So they gave us the money and we gave them their wine.  No big deal.

Was it breaking the cruise line's arbitrary rules? Yes. Was it illegal or immoral? No.