Medical Evacuation on Oasis of the Seas

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

My question is have the covid protocols and overall covid awareness on a ship (for better or for worse) made medical evacs/diversions more frequent for other non-covid issues to save space in the medical ward for covid?

Another question would be did the emergency response crew have to show proof of vaccine and a negative test result before being able to board  🤣

2 hours ago, Gadget Hackwrench said:

In addition, Mariner of the Seas had a medical incident.

https://www.cruisehive.com/royal-caribbean-cruise-ship-diverts-cancels-port-of-call/80106

Mariner of the Seas has changed its itinerary due to a diversion for a medical emergency Monday night, and will now visit Cococay twice.

I can confirm this. No labadee and double coco cay.

It was definitely a weird feeling waking up to the ship not moving at all day 2. Especially since we happened to watch Titanic the night before we left...

They don't deploy local firefighters to ships during a helicopter evacuation.  The ship has fire fighting equipment and the full fire fighting suits with air supply for battling fires on board.   

It's standard procedure to deploy the ship fire team when a helicopter evacuation is occurring.  That is in case the helicopter crashes or static discharge from the whirling blades causes a fire. 

Fire on a ship is the worst possible emergency.   They have everything on board staged in strategic areas to be ready for the worst possible outcome.  They always suit up for helicopter evacs.  

8 hours ago, Gadget Hackwrench said:

image.png.9284d3210fd59ef0fa7b6f3f86d39109.png

It's never a good cruising day when the local fire department is dispatched to your ship and they have to clear the pool deck to make way for a landing medical helicopter. Stay safe everyone.

If this was Oasis on Saturday 8/27 - maybe if people weren’t such selfish asshats taking pictures instead of clearing the pool deck the first 2 times the captain asked them to, the helicopter wouldn’t have had to hover for over 30 minutes.  

12 hours ago, Jkaczano said:

If this was Oasis on Saturday 8/27 - maybe if people weren’t such selfish asshats taking pictures instead of clearing the pool deck the first 2 times the captain asked them to, the helicopter wouldn’t have had to hover for over 30 minutes.  

There’s likely some extended conversation between flight crew and on board medical staff as far as treatment to the patient, the history of the current medical event and proper packaging of the patient for transfer and transport. Not saying that’s the only cause for that time but depending on the emergency could add time for the flight crew on scene. 

34 minutes ago, kevpeirce said:

There’s likely some extended conversation between flight crew and on board medical staff as far as treatment to the patient, the history of the current medical event and proper packaging of the patient for transfer and transport. Not saying that’s the only cause for that time but depending on the emergency could add time for the flight crew on scene. 

The patient was my mother in law. My husband was on the phone with his dad and medical crew.  It took 3 announcements by the Captain to clear decks 15 and 16.  I stand by my statement that people are selfish - too concerned about getting a picture than following directions.

16 minutes ago, Jkaczano said:

The patient was my mother in law. My husband was on the phone with his dad and medical crew.  It took 3 announcements by the Captain to clear decks 15 and 16.  I stand by my statement that people are selfish - too concerned about getting a picture than following directions.

I hope your MIL received the care she needed and everything is ok.  I totally agree with your statement regarding picture taking!

18 minutes ago, Jkaczano said:

I think your statement was that people were "asshats".  Selfish probably a better way to describe it.

I sincerely hope your MIL is doing better and I'm so sorry you all had to go through this.

There could also be a hearing barrier with announcements. Most cruises I've been on have a captain with a thick accent. Couple that with the noise of a hovering helicopter, a loud crowd, and any static or issues with the speakers and you have a lot of people who probably had no idea what was going on. I very highly doubt anyone would choose getting a cool picture over the health and well being of a fellow passenger. That just makes no sense at all. More likely they just genuinely had no idea what was going on. I hope your MIL is okay.

35 minutes ago, Bowen said:

I very highly doubt anyone would choose getting a cool picture over the health and well being of a fellow passenger. That just makes no sense at all. 

I wouldn't be too sure. I've seen many videos of people being moved from a area by security due to a medical a emergency and they run to a stairwell, go up or down a floor and try to get back into the area a different way. One was on the Oasis class back by the aqua threatre and the guy recorded himself doing it, explaining he was trying to find another way back into the area so he hie record. There was one from a little over a month ago, where you hear a crew member saying we told you this area is closed for a emergency, move along

3 hours ago, Bowen said:

I very highly doubt anyone would choose getting a cool picture over the health and well being of a fellow passenger. That just makes no sense at all. More likely they just genuinely had no idea what was going on. 

People recording the emergency services Is all you see on UK tv nowadays! 

Emergency services turning up an incident and all the crowd have their mobiles out recording! 

Worst one is when police are talking to someone connected to an incident and the potential suspect ( not under arrest ) has mobile out filming officer talking to them.

3 hours ago, tjcruisers said:

I wouldn't be too sure. I've seen many videos of people being moved from a area by security due to a medical a emergency and they run to a stairwell, go up or down a floor and try to get back into the area a different way. One was on the Oasis class back by the aqua threatre and the guy recorded himself doing it, explaining he was trying to find another way back into the area so he hie record. There was one from a little over a month ago, where you hear a crew member saying we told you this area is closed for a emergency, move along

Yes I’m not doubting that people like to record things, I’m doubting that anyone recording is doing so while knowingly putting someone’s life at risk. 

1 hour ago, Bowen said:

Yes I’m not doubting that people like to record things, I’m doubting that anyone recording is doing so while knowingly putting someone’s life at risk. 

I mean this post is literally started with a picture of fireman and clearly the person taking the picture was not where they should have been and looked to be very much in the way.

12 minutes ago, IzzyB said:

I mean this post is literally started with a picture of fireman and clearly the person taking the picture was not where they should have been and looked to be very much in the way.

Right, but that's not malice at all. That is quite likely very confused people trying to figure out what is going on, and taking pictures. Nothing about that picture says malice or someone trying to interfere in a life saving procedure.

Was the person in question (in need of aid) on the pool deck? Probably not. So these people can't see the issue, they don't know what's going on, they probably can't hear well with the noise and the masks covering the lips of the people issuing directions. They're confused, they're probably kind of freaking out, etc. 

I hate to say it but for most people their first instinct now and days is to record someone/something with hopes of getting something out of it. Whether that is likes, bragging rights, money, etc., it's the truth. I don't think people were confused; it was done with intent because there was no need for them to stand there and take photos.

1 hour ago, Bowen said:

Was the person in question (in need of aid) on the pool deck? Probably not. So these people can't see the issue, they don't know what's going on, they probably can't hear well with the noise and the masks covering the lips of the people issuing directions. They're confused, they're probably kind of freaking out, etc. 

Actually, if they were clearing the pool deck for a medical helicopter, I think it's highly likely that's where the patient was located.  The helicopter pad is at the front on a much lower deck.  If it were possible to move the patient there, why risk using the pool deck which is higher and therefore more dangerous due to rocking?

I will say that attempting to the clear the pool deck is not going to be an easy task simply due to the number of people involved.

11 minutes ago, Atlantix2000 said:

Actually, if they were clearing the pool deck for a medical helicopter, I think it's highly likely that's where the patient was located.  The helicopter pad is at the front on a much lower deck.  If it were possible to move the patient there, why risk using the pool deck which is higher and therefore more dangerous due to rocking?

I will say that attempting to the clear the pool deck is not going to be an easy task simply due to the number of people involved.

Once USCG agrees to perform a helicopter evac it's all in the hands of the USCG.  They dictate where on the ship, speed and heading.  It is possible given the winds or other factors that USCG decides to evac from a high deck instead of the the helipad.  I've seen two evacs on other lines that didn't use the bow but chose high aft.   I've seen helicopters land on helipads and I've seen helicopter hover over helipads and use the winch.   It's all whatever they feel is best on that day.  

My friend was on that sailing.  She said people ignored the captains announcement to clear the pool deck.

now having heard announcements this past year for people to complete a muster drill, with the announcements repeating every 15 minutes or so, practically begging people to complete muster drills when they aren’t yet half drunk or in a pool I can “somewhat” understand that perhaps they were too drunk to understand, or typical announcement BS where it’s impossible to understand, or perhaps they wanted their photo op.  What I cannot for the life of me understand is why lifeguards didn’t blow their whistles to evacuate the pool and security didn’t come through and  guide the passengers out of the area.  It’s very simple to do.  Maybe they need to add that to the weekly drills. 
I hope the patient received the care she needed and is on the road to recovery.

We were on a RC ship a few years ago and we woke up to find we weren't moving. We could see land and shouldn't have seen any since we were supposed to be sailing overnight. Apparently some Duke students were having a party late the night before and one kid jumped into the pool to retrieve a ball. Only the pool didn't have any water in it, only the net covering the empty pool. He broke his neck when he landed on the netting. We had fog, so they couldn't bring a helicopter in, so they turned us around and got us a close to any island as possible, so a tender boat could be brought aside us. It was heartbreaking to watch a kid on a stretcher being transferred and all of his buddies getting on with their luggage. We watched from our balcony. We searched online and never did find out how the boy was. Medical emergencies at sea are so difficult!

I sincerely hope and pray that your MIL is doing ok and back on her feet!

Thank you very much for everyone’s well wishes.  Despite the excellent care my mother in law received on Oasis and in the hospital ICU in Norfolk, she passed away this past Tuesday.  She was 79.

Edited to add a photo of MIL at Beach Club September 2021.

@Mattcould you please close this thread.

3D373001-4F0D-4C90-96AD-CF7575F9D886.jpeg

• Matt locked this topic