Proximity of Florida ports to airports

I have a cruise in November leaving from New Orleans but I want to plan a second cruise in March of 2023. One leaves from Ft Lauderdale and the other leaves from Miami. Those of you that cruise alot, could you tell me which port is closest to that city's airport and which port has hotels within walking distance. In other words, I'm trying to create as stress free a sailing as I can. Which is the least stressful port to sail out of?  Thanks. 

As mentioned, FLL is hands down the closest. But, that being said, Port of Miami is by no means far from MIA airport...something like 9 miles, which even in rush hour traffic isn't too far (as a reference, MSY Airport to the Port of New Orleans is 15-16 miles). I personally wouldn't base my cruise decision off of that - neither are hard to get to, and it's not even that hard to get from FLL to Port of Miami, or from MIA to Port Everglades, via shuttle or Uber/Lyft/taxi. I say choose the cruise you want and the flights that work best (schedule wise, fare wise, whatever you prioritize) and go from there. 

Hotel wise, I believe FLL has more options in proximity of the port than MIA does. 

27 minutes ago, Jill said:

When we cruise out of Miami we stay in Fort Lauderdale. Hilton Garden Inn Fort Lauderdale has an airport shuttle and cruise port (Port Everglades) shuttle from the hotel. Restaurants within walking distance. Big “town center” area with lots to choose from. 

The shuttle would be a big help because I have no interest in driving to and fro, if possible, as well as parking etc. Thanks

1 hour ago, Al. said:

I have a cruise in November leaving from New Orleans but I want to plan a second cruise in March of 2023. One leaves from Ft Lauderdale and the other leaves from Miami. Those of you that cruise alot, could you tell me which port is closest to that city's airport and which port has hotels within walking distance. In other words, I'm trying to create as stress free a sailing as I can. Which is the least stressful port to sail out of?  Thanks. 

Ft. Lauderdale Airport is across the highway from Port Everglades... we said goodbye to Allure back in 2019 before boarding our return flight... 😪

8E0AEBE6-B34E-4ADA-91AE-C31F05ED9117.thumb.jpeg.32c7f255e66d873f76c04769e40728f1.jpeg

Ft. Lauderdale is definitely closer, but Miami is quite manageable as well. The issue is proximity to port comes with a much higher hotel price tag for both cities. If you are comfortable with rideshares (Uber/Lyft) you can work out the most cost effective combo of flight/hotel/transportation between the ports. 

Miami also has a decent light rail and transit system where you can get pretty close to the port and take a rideshare for the last little bit to get there.

Last time I left out of Miami I flew in the morning of the cruise (yeah, yeah, yeah..first flight out and low risk short flight plus it was a comp cruise anyways!). Then I got on the train from the airport and used the transit system to get to a hotel by Bayside Marketplace (Starbucks in the lobby) and grabbed a Lyft to the port.  

On 8/30/2022 at 8:43 PM, Al. said:

Thank y'all for your comments. They have been helpful. I'm liking Ft Lauderdale from what I've read but of course, if I get a good deal on a cruise in another port, I'm certainly not averse to booking it. I just thought I would ask. 

I'd say it just increases your choices, both for cruises AND for airfares. There are airlines that only fly to FLL, ones that only fly to MIA, ones that fly to both. Some cities have nonstops to one, or the other, or both. Don't forget West Palm Beach (PBI) too - it's definitely further, but it's yet another option for flights. Just be sure to factor in time and cost of that airport if you end up going that route (I think it's like an hour from PBI to Port Everglades)

For us (loyal Southwest Airline) we choose the airport based on port city as SW began service to MIA.  Before that we would fly into FLL and booked a shuttle from FLL to our Miami hotel.  I felt sorry for the shuttle driver as they had no passengers going back and the traffic from FLL to MIA in the afternoon was jammed up.   

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/7/2022 at 12:00 PM, Toby said:

For us (loyal Southwest Airline) we choose the airport based on port city as SW began service to MIA.  Before that we would fly into FLL and booked a shuttle from FLL to our Miami hotel.  I felt sorry for the shuttle driver as they had no passengers going back and the traffic from FLL to MIA in the afternoon was jammed up.   

While I've only ever flown on Delta, I'm a rewards member with both and just received over 50,000 free miles to fly with, with southwest. When I saw above that they fly into Ft Lauderdale, I thought it would be a great opportunity to use some of those miles. I'm happy, now, to know that they fly into Miami also. As Zacharias said, it doubles my choices!!