Oasis Windjammer

CanHardlyWait

Been reading horrible things about crowds, lines, not enough tables etc. So what's the deal? Does staff find you a table first? Do you find first? Get food first and walk around looking for table with plate in hand? Does anyone come around for drinks or do you have to carry your soda cup with you to the Windjammer and fill yourself (with soda package that is) or have attendant do for you? Trying to get the lay of the land. Sounds like a zoo.

5 hours ago, CanHardlyWait said:

Been reading horrible things about crowds, lines, not enough tables etc. So what's the deal? Does staff find you a table first? Do you find first? Get food first and walk around looking for table with plate in hand? Does anyone come around for drinks or do you have to carry your soda cup with you to the Windjammer and fill yourself (with soda package that is) or have attendant do for you? Trying to get the lay of the land. Sounds like a zoo.

You have to find your own table.  When you’re with multiple people, it’s best to find a table and have 1 person wait there while the rest go get their food.  They do have people coming around getting you drinks, but it’s much quicker and easier to get it yourself.

Just an FYI, the food at windjammer isn’t that great.  On sea days, you can have a much better breakfast or lunch in the main dining room.  Also, every day the Park Cafe has good options for breakfast and lunch as well.

I was on Oasis in June. I visited Windjammer several times and there were long lines at times as they made sure everyone was stopping to wash their hands. If the lines were too long I just went and had a drink somewhere else and came back a bit later. I was cruising solo and never had a problem finding a table to myself, but of course might be different at prime time for a family. I think that there is some good food and some not-so-good food. Whether alone or with family, I generally take a swing through to see what is being offered and then grab plate, silverware (it's rolled in a napkin, but spoons are separate) and start choosing. There's always a nice salad with a couple different lettuce mixes to choose from and then a dozen or so toppings that you can add. There's always hot dogs, hamburgers, and a meat carving station. There's pasta, international offerings, etc, really quite a lot to choose from, but it's not fine dining - it's a buffet. 

Timing is everything.  Try to avoid peak times, and follow the other posted advice.   Consider all dining venues available.  The WJ can be a zoo, but it isn't always.  The worst WJ we experienced on any ship was out of Southampton because too many folks stayed too long, so I recommend having your meal and then moving on.  There are other places to sit, have a drink, and watch the sea.

On 8/29/2022 at 7:27 PM, TMatl said:

When the Solarium restaurant is open you can get the same buffet that’s served at the Windjammer.  And it’s never been packed.

It was very busy on Ovation last week.  The line for the hot food was out the door into the Solarium itself for breakfast and lunch.  We eat all our meals at the MDR or CafeTWO70 (the Park Cafe clone on Quantum class ships aft at TWO70 deck 5).