Buffets on Ovation

Done

Just back from Ovation and not a fan of the buffets.  We ate a dinner at the Windjammer early into our back to back cruises and it was not good.  I felt the selection of different items has been reduced and the food was barely warm.  I also saw a lady dishing up food for a wheelchair bound person.  She got some sauce on her fingers.  She licked it off and used that same hand to pick up the serving tongs at the next station.  The line at the Solarium Bistro was always crazy long for breakfast and lunch and I felt it was a mini version of the Windjammer.  I will say the salad station was never that busy.  We avoided the buffets to eat after day 3 I think. 

We ate our subsequent meals at the main dining room, Cafe270, Chops or Jamie's where the food is served to us.  Another plus was the portion control.  You can always get seconds on any item but we rarely need any more than what the served.  I didn't get to the midpoint of the cruise feeling stuffed to the gills. 🙂

On 8/27/2022 at 10:39 PM, BowTieBrigade said:

Interesting. We found the Windjammer to be top notch on Ovation in July. Though we didn’t have to knowingly share the buffet with finger-tasters. 

Maybe because we ate at Chops day 1 and then the Windjammer after that tainted our experience.  However, the unhealthy behavior by other guests put us off to buffets of any kind from now on.  We don't know what goes on in the galley behind closed doors but sometimes ignorance is bliss!

On 8/27/2022 at 10:58 AM, Toby said:

JShe got some sauce on her fingers.  She licked it off and used that same hand to pick up the serving tongs at the next station. 

This is why after I serve up my food and bring my plate to my table, I will use hand sanitizer before picking up my knife and fork.